Shanghai World Financial Center
On a trip to Shanghai, one of the main highlights to visit is the Shanghai World Financial Center. The 100th floor observation deck gives the best view of Shanghai.
- Tallest building in China (2013)
- 1,614 feet (492 meters), 101 floors
- 100th floor observation deck
- Cost: 1.2 billion USD
- Built: 2007
- Fifth tallest building in the world (2013)
Until the Shanghai Tower opens in 2014, it is the highest building in Shanghai. There is an observation deck on the 100th floor at 1,555 feet for sightseeing and a Hyatt Regency luxury hotel.
On a visit, you can also see nearby the 88 story Jin Mao Tower and the Shanghai Tower that towers 400 feet higher than the Shanghai World Financial Center. These three buildings sit in a cluster next to the Pudong River in the Lujiazui financial district.
The Shanghai World Financial Center project was designed by the Kohn Pedersen Fox architectural firm, and the construction was managed by the Mori Building Corporation of Japan. Multinational corporations funded the project.
It actually took the developers 11 years to finish the building. It officially opened in 2008, and it was generally considered to be the best skyscraper that was built in the world in 2008.
There is a mall at ground level with fine restaurants, and you'll find bars and restaurants in the Hyatt Regency between floors 79 to 93.
There are three observation decks on floors 94, 97, and 100.
The 100th floor has a viewing gallery that is 55 meters long. It is the second highest observation deck in China. It is higher than the viewing platforms on the Canadian TV Tower (447 meters) and the Dubai Tower (440 meter).
Riding the elevators might be a small thrill. They move people from the first floor to 95th floor in a minute with a speed of 10 meters per second
- See our private Shanghai tours for your way to discover the Shanghai World Financial Center.
- Address: Financial Trading District, Z4-1, Lujiazui, Pudong, Shanghai
- Observation deck prices: 94th floor is 110 RMB, 97th floor is 110 RMB, and 100th floor is 150 RMB.
- The 100th floor deck is recommended because there is a 55-meter-long viewing gallery with a sky walk made of glass where you can look down through the floor to the scenery below.
- The night lights and dusk sunset scenes are amazing, but in rainy and foggy weather you can see little.
There may be an hour wait for the 100th floor observation deck, but you can see the view from the windows of the 91st floor for free in a relaxed fashion from the 100 Century Avenue Restaurant and Bar. Drinks are comparatively inexpensive (about 8 USD).
Questions and Answers About Shanghai World Financial Center
Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, it is free for a person to enter the World Financial Center on the date of his birthday. But the validity of this activity is from January 1st, 2012 to December 31th, 2012. If you bring your student’s identity card, the price for the Floor100+97+94 is CNY100 per person and CNY80 for the floor 94 per person.Alice Cai replied on 2012-07-15
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
- Things to Do
- Top Reasons to Visit
- Top Things to Do
- Things to Do With Kids
- Travel Information
- Travel Tips
- Shanghai Trip Planner
- Accommodation Guide
- Train Schedules