The Shanghai Tower
- Height: 632 meters (2,073 feet), 121 floors
- Completion: 2014
- Cost: about 2.2 billion USD
- Special features: world's 2nd tallest building, world's highest observation deck, world's fastest elevators
The world's second-tallest building is set to open in Shanghai in 2014. The Shanghai Tower will be 128 stories or 632 meters (2,073 feet) tall, and it will be a premier Shanghai tourist highlight.
Tourists can enjoy the view from the world's highest observation deck on the top floor.
The building will dwarf the Shanghai World Financial Center and the 88 story Jin Mao Tower next to it. It will be about 122 meters (400 feet) taller than Shanghai World Financial Center and the Taipei 101 too.
The top floors contain a hotel and an observation deck. The hotel will also be the highest in the world.
Mitsubishi is building the world's fastest elevators for the structure. They will speed up and down at 64 kph (40 miles per hour). You may want to visit the Shanghai Tower just for that experience.Also Read: Key Places in Shanghai
The building is built according to a recent innovation in very high skyscraper design. Like the other of the world's tallest buildings built in the last several years, instead of having a simple steel girder framework for a skeleton, it has a thick concrete core.
Building in Shanghai is difficult because the land is sandy river delta soil and there are typhoons and earthquakes. The tower is built on 70-meter (200-feet) -long concrete piles.
To make the structure stable in strong winds, it has an innovative spiraling cylindrical shape that is aerodynamic. The distinctive shape looks beautiful. It is a helix.
It will be a showcase of 21st century engineering. To save energy and provide extra protection, the tower is built like a thermos bottle with an outer skin consisting of two-layer glass facades.Also Read: Top Five Old Streets in Shanghai
Discover Shanghai for Yourself
See Shanghai's modern wonders and classic side on our Shanghai tours.
- Address: Financial Trading District, Lujiazui, Pudong.
- The night lights and dusk sunset scenes are amazing, but in rainy and foggy weather you can see little.
Questions and Answers About The Shanghai Tower
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
- Things to Do
- Top Reasons to Visit
- Top Things to Do
- Things to Do With Kids