Giant Panda Characteristics
The giant panda is a type of bear. The Chinese call it the ‘big bear-cat’ (大熊猫 da xiongmao /daa-sshyong-maoww/).
- Name: The Chinese call it the ‘big bear-cat’ (大熊猫 da xiongmao /dah-sshyong-maow/).
- Size: 75 centimeters (2.5 foot) tall and 1.5 meters (5 foot) long
- Weight: Up to 150 kg (330 lb)
- Habitat: Central- Western and Southwest China.Mainly Sichuan. A few in Shaanxi and Gansu. See the map
- Diet: 99% bamboo. 13 kg (30 lb) or more a day.
- Life Span: Up to 30 years in captivity, but usually only 15 to 20 years in the wild
- Protection Status: Endangered. Estimates of giant panda numbers in the wild vary between 1,500 and 3,000.
How Tall and Weight of Giant Pandas
Grown pandas are about 75 centimeters (2.5 foot) tall and 1.5 meters (5 ft) long (see the diagram showing a man and a giant panda). They weigh up to 150 kg (330 lb). Females are smaller, weighing up to 125 kg (275 lb).
Giant Pandas' Appearance
Giant pandas have a distinctive appearance. Their thick black and white fur equips them for life in cool forests. Their white coat with black markings is unique, with black patches round the eyes and ears, black legs and a black band around the shoulders.
Giant pandas' paws have five “fingers” and one “thumb” – an enlarged bone at the heel of the paw used for gripping bamboo, climbing, etc.
Giant pandas' round body shape helps them keep warm despite their low-calory bamboo diet. Their round faces hold big jaw muscles and molars for crushing bamboo.
They have good geographical memory, hearing and sense of smell, but their sight is poor.
Top Giant Panda Tours
- Chengdu Panda Tour
- You will visit the Panda Breeding and Research Center to see the cute black-and-white animals, the romantic lanes in Chengdu, and the Giant Buddha cut in the Tang Dynasty.
- China Family Classic Tour
- Activities designed for your family, make this classic China tour a perfect choice for a family vacation.
- Chengdu and Bifengxia Panda Breeding Center Volunteer Experience
- This tour combines Bifengxia Giant Panda Base, and the highlight attractions in Chengdu including Jinli Ancient Street and Sanxingdui Museum.
I am Mia Yang, a web editor at China Highlights. I wrote the article "Giant Panda Characteristics". Do you have any comments or suggestions? If any, feel free to contact me via email at email@example.com
Mia Yang Mia Yang Replied on 03:10 AM Feb. 10 2012