Great Wall Sections
the longest fully-restored section open to tourists.
the best preserved section of the Great Wall.
steep with many watchtowers and breathtaking views.
known as the First Pass Under Heaven since ancient times.
- Chinese Pinyin: Cháng Chéng
- Location: North China
- Length: 6,260 km (3,890 miles)
- Great Wall Facts »
Piantou fortress was constructed during the Five Dynasties period. The pass to the fortress was built during the Yuan Dynasty. It is located in Pianguan County, in Central China's Shanxi Province. Pianguan nestles against Guancen Mountain in the east, reaches the surging Yellow River in the west, adjoins Inner Mongolia in the north and connects to Yanmen Pass in the South. The pass had been the focus of imperial rulers due to its strategic significance. No trace of this pass is left today despite repeated restoration and renovation efforts made during the Ming Dynasty. The only remnant is an arched gate.
Pianguan pass, along with Ningwu Guan Pass and Yamen Guan Pass are called the Outer Three Passes.
- One-Day Great Wall Tours from $87*
- Include transport, entry, tour guide and lunch.
- 4-Day Essence of Beijing Tour A from $445*
- See the top sights of Beijing, including the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
- 6-Day Great Wall Hiking Around Beijing Tour from $885*
- Includes Mutianyu, Gubeikou, Jinshanling, Simatai and Huangya Pass.
- 8-Day Essence of China Tour – Beijing, Xi’an, Shanghai from $1463*
- See the top sights of China’s Golden Triangle, including the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
- more Great Wall Tours *Prices based on 2 persons