Name:Guiyang (贵阳; Guìyáng (/gway-yang/))
Meaning:South of Gui Mountain
- Capital of Guizhou Province
- Verdant vegetation
- Relatively cool weather in summer
- Transportation hub in Southwest China
The city provides inexpensive access to the ethnic cultural attractions and natural highlights of Guizhou Province.
- Local food specialties: Guiyang beef noodle soup, silk babies (siwawa), hot pot
- Most popular souvenirs and local products: ethnic Miao and Gejia silver jewelry, Yuping flutes, Yunwu Tea, Maotai liquor, and mineral and fossil specimens
The city was a garrison town during the Tang and Yuan eras, and now it is the capital of Guizhou Province.
- 1283 The Mongols built-up the city to be an army base for the southwest part of the Yuan Empire.
- 1735 A rebellion of the Miao was defeated by the Qing colonists.
- 1795 Another rebellion began. It lasted 11 years.
- Significance of the city: It is an industrial city in the large, relatively undeveloped and sparsely populated Guizhou Province.
- Nearby cities: Zunyi (119 km/74 mi), Anshun (90 km/55 mi), Chongqing (317 km/197 mi)
- Municipality terrain: The city sits on a plateau and is on the bank of the Nanming River.
- Average altitude: 1,275 meters (4,183 feet)
- Main rivers: Nanming River
- Urban location: 26.51N to 26.69N, 106.6E to 106.72E, southwestern China.
- Municipality Population: 4,324,561
- Municipality Area: 8,034 sq km (3,101 sq mi)
- Urban area: 2,403 sq km (928 sq mi)
- Urban population: 2,500,000
- Urban population density: 1,062/sq km (2,750/sq mi)
- North to south distance of urban area: 19 km (11 mi)
- East to west distance of urban area: 15 km (9 mi)
- City center:(26.58N, 106.70E), at the intersection of Yanan West Road and Huansha Road
- Average annual income: (2009) 24,585 RMB (3,637 USD)
- Development: developing. The Guiyang area has cheap hydroelectric power and mines for several metals. It is a major aluminum producer and produces aluminum and steel products.
- Industry: 54.2% tertiary industry (services, tourist industry), 40.7% secondary (steel, non-ferrous metallurgy, automobile), 5.1% primary (agriculture)
- CBD: 26.58N, 106.7E
- Shopping Streets: Zhonghua Road, Yanan Road