Name: Shanghai (上海; Shànghǎi (/shang-hi/)
Meaning: "On the sea"
Previous names: Songhu, Huating
- China's largest city
- The finance and cultural center
- Downtown nightlife and night lights
- Former International Settlement attractions
- Modern: The Bund, Oriental Pearl TV Tower, Pudong Financial District, Xintiandi, Shanghai World Financial Center, Jinmao Tower, Huangpu River Night Cruise, Shanghai Grand Theater, Maglev Train
- Ancient: Yuyuan Garden, Jade Buddha Temple, City God Temple, Shanghai Old Street, Jing'an Temple, Qibao Town, Longhua Pagoda and Temple, Fengjing Ancient Town, Zhujiajiao Water Town
- Museums: Shanghai Museum, Shanghai Urban Planning Exhibition Hall, Shanghai Municipal History Museum, Shanghai Museum of Pen and Ink, Shanghai Martial Arts Museum, Shanghai Post Office Museum
- Amusement: Shanghai Happy Valley, Jinjiang Amusement Park, Shanghai Circus World
Most Popular Souvenirs and Local Products
Silk, Antiques, Porcelain, Silverware, Chinese Painting and Calligraphy
A major ocean port city on the Yangtze River
- 1074 Status of Shanghai upgraded from a village to a market town
- 1735 Shanghai became the foremost trade port on the Yangtze River
- 1843 Shanghai became a foreign treaty concession
- 1854 British-controlled Shanghai Municipal Council founded
- 1937 Japanese army occupies most of Shanghai
- 1991 Economic reforms began to revitalize Shanghai
- 2010 Shanghai World Expo
- Significance of city: China's largest city, financial and business center, cultural center, center for Yangtze River Basin and international shipping, world's biggest container port
- Nearby cities: Hangzhou (165 km/102 mi), Ningbo (151 km/94 mi), Suzhou (120 km/75 mi), Nanjing (270 km/168 mi)
- Municipality terrain: Yangtze River Delta, Huangpu River and East China Sea; mostly flat alluvial plain
- Average altitude: 4.5 (13 feet)
- Main rivers: Yangtze River, Huangpu River
- Municipality location: 30.42N to 31.52N, 120.52E to 121.58E, East China
- Municipality Population: 23,000,000
- Municipality Area: 6,218 sq km (2,401 sq mi)
- Core districts and inner suburbs area: 3,000 sq km (1,860 sq mi)
- City proper population: 7,000,000
- City proper population density: 24,100/sq km (63,000/sq mi)
- North to south distance (including suburbs): 75 km (47 mi)
- East to west distance (including suburbs): 80 km (50 mi)
- City center: People's Square (31.23N, 121.476E), between Shanghai Museum and Shanghai Municipal Government
- Highest temperature: 40.2 °C (104 °F)
- Lowest temperature: -12.1 °C (10 °F)
- Humid subtropical, annual precipitation: 1,164.7 mm (45.8 in)
- Known for freak thunderstorms and four seasons.
- Average annual income: (2010) 73,287 RMB (11,100 USD)
- Development: rich and well-developed, behind only Hong Kong and Shenzhen in wealth of the biggest cities in China
- Industry: 59% tertiary industry (finance, communications), 39% secondary (steel, ship building, automobile), 7% primary (agriculture)
- CBD: Pudong Financial District
- Shopping Streets: Nanjing Road, Huaihai Road, Dongtai Road Antique Market
- Pudong International Airport and Hongqiao International Airport altogether serve 70 million passengers annually.
- 12 line subway (set world record for ridership in 2010-7.548 million passengers)
- 3 main concentric inner ring roads
- 4 train stations
Questions and Answers About Shanghai Facts
This is Sammi.
Are you looking at Sofitel Hyland Shanghai? This hotel has perfect location, close to everything in the downtown area, however the hotel facility is kind of old. Our mainly recommended hotel in Shanghai is Radisson Shanghai New World Hotel.
The Radisson Shanghai New World in Shanghai, China, is a centrally located hotel convenient to numerous Shanghai sites, notably the Bund, the city's waterfront boulevard, and the People's Park. Shanghai museums and the Oriental Pearl TV Tower are also nearby. Pu Dong Airport is 35 kilometers away. The hotel is connected to the SEGA World Entertainment Centre, an IMAX cinema and movie complex, and the 10-story New World shopping emporium.
If you want to book the hotel, please check it here:
SammiSammi Dai replied on 2012-11-08
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on February 19, 2014
See all my travel articles
- Things to Do
- Top Reasons to Visit
- Top Things to Do
- Things to Do With Kids
- Travel Information
- Travel Tips
- Shanghai Trip Planner
- Accommodation Guide
- Train Schedules