China's Best Beaches
China's continental coastline extends for about 18,000 kilometers and there are lots of beautiful beaches for holidays. The most popular beaches around China we recommend include Sanya, Qingdao, Xiamen, Putuo Island, Beidaihe and Beihai.
1. Tianya Haijiao - Picturesque Beach Scenery
- Location: Sanya in Hainan Island
A park that is arranged along a fantastic beach that is dimpled with large stones, some in grotesque shapes.
It is filled with mystery touch because of an old legend.
- Weather: It has an average year-round temperature of 25 °C (78 °F).
- More information about Tianya Haijiao
- Tianya Haijiao Winter Escape Holiday
2. Yalong Bay - "The Oriental Hawaii"
- Locations: Sanya in Hainan Island
7.5-kilometer-long (4.7-mile-long), crescent-shaped and sunny white sandy beach.
World-class golf course perched in the most idyllic of settings.
Rolling green hills offering a cool, shady respite from the sunny beaches.
Many national and international hotels.
- Weather: It is a perfect place to escape winter cold with an average temperature of 23 °C (73 °F) in January.
- More Information about Yalong Bay
- Yalong Bay Holiday Tour
3. Wuzhizhou Island - The first Commercial Diving Location in China
- Location: Sanya in Hainan Island
The sea below is excellent for surfing, and has an extensive reef.
The areas to the north and to the west of the island are relatively flat, with sandy white beaches being the norm.
The water along these shores is gin clear, with a visibility down to 27 m (90 ft). It is a real boon to scuba diving.
- More Information about Wuzhizhou Island
- Wuzhizhou Island Holidays
Recommended tour: Essence of Hainan Tour
4. First Bathing Beach
- Location: It is located in Qingdao city, Shandong Province, about 500 km (300 mi) southeast of Beijing.
The 580-meter-long and 40-meter-wide beach stretches far into the sea.
It is surrounded on three sides by green mountains.
- More Information About the First Bathing Beach
- Essence of Qingdao Tour
5. Gulangyu Beach - "Garden on the Sea"
- Location: It is a tourist island off the southeast coast of Siming District, Xiamen, Fujian Province in Southeast China.
It is renowned as "Piano Island" or "The Island of Music" because of its reputation for musical appreciation.
It has many natural bathing beaches with fine sand and gentle waves.
- More Information About Gulangyu Island
- Gulangyu Island Tour
6. Beidaihe Scenic Area - "the Summer Palace"
- Location: It is located south of Qinhuangdao City, Hebei Province, 300 kilometers (180 miles) east of Beijing.
Beidaihe Scenic Area stretches for 13 km (8 mi) with bathing places in Bohai Bay.
The beach is covered with fine yellow sand stretching some 100 meters to the sea.
- Beidaihe Beach Tour
7. Putuoshan Island
- Location: It is located about 150 km (100 mi) southeast of Shanghai, in the west of the island prefecture of Zhoushan, Zhejiang province.
It has many beaches among which Hundred Step Beach and Thousand Step Beach are the two major ones.
Putuo Mountain is located on the island, one of the Four Sacred Mountains of Buddhism.
- More Information About Putuoshan Island
- Putuoshan Island Tour
8. Silver Beach
- Location: It is located in the southeast of Beihai City, Guangxi Province, South China.
Extensive beach with fine and white sand.
Clean and warm water and gentle waves, as well as being safe and free from sharks in the swimming area.
A two-hour cruise away from Weizhou Island, the biggest extinct volcanic island in China.
- More Information on Silve Beach
- Silver Beach Holiday Tour
I updated this article on June 9, 2013
See all my travel articles
Questions and Answers About China's Best Beaches
Hi Abigail, the weather of Beijing in March warms up rapidly from freezing to cool, but it is windy. On average temperature reaches 11 °C (52 °F) during the day, and at night drops to -1 °C (30 °F). Sandstorms are possible. I would recommend you Sanya for the beach. Do you want me to send you a proposal with tour in Beijing?Simon Huang replied on 2013-09-27