Name: Datong (大同; Dàtóng (/da-tong/))
Meaning: "great alike and together:" an idealized society in Confucian philosophy
Previous names: Pingcheng
Most popular food: millet cakes, Guangling dry tofu, stinky tofu
- UNESCO World Heritage Site Yungang Grottoes
- Abundant in historical sites
- Now it is an industrial and coal mining city.
- Transportation crossroads between Beijing and the coast and the north and west
- Ancient: Yungang Grottoes, Huayan Monastery, Hanging Monastery, Shanhua Temple
- Modern: Datong Jinghuagong Coal Mine
- Most popular souvenirs and localproducts: silk dolls, Datong egg carvings, Yanggao preserved apricots
It was and still is a crossroads between Beijing and the coast and the west and north, and now it is a big coal mining city.
- ~200 BC A town called Pingcheng was founded there after a battle between the Han Empire and the Xiongnu.
- 398 AD It became a capital city of the Northern Wei Dynasty.
- 460 Construction started on the Yungang Grottoes.
- 1048 The city was named Datong.
- 1277 It is recorded that Marco Polo visited Datong under the Yuan Dynasty and praised its weapons manufacturing industry and the Yungang Grottoes.
- Significance of city: one of China's largest coal mines is in the vicinity. The city has abundant historical sites.
- Nearby cities: Taiyuan (280 km/174 mi), Beijing (165 km/264 mi), Hohhot (152 km/94 mi)
- Municipality terrain: The city borders Inner Mongolia and is on a high basin with mountains on three sides.
- Average altitude: 1,042 meters (3,419 feet)
- Main rivers: Yu River
- Municipality location: 40.07N, 113.30E, northern China.
- Municipality Population: 3,300,000
- Municipality Area: 14,176 sq km (5,473 sq mi)
- Metro area: 1,074 sq km (414 sq mi)
- Metro population: 1,447,000
- Metro population density: 1,347/sq km (3,490/sq mi)
- North to south distance of main urban area: 13.5 km (8.5 mi)
- East to west distance of main urban area: 13 km (8 mi)
- Average high temperature in July: 28.2 degrees Celsius (82.8 °F)
- Average low temperature in January: -16.6 degrees Celsius (2.1 °F)
- Continental dry climate with four seasons; annual precipitation: 1,120 mm (44 in)
Known for cold dry winters, much sunshine, and smog.
- Average annual income: (2008) 17,852 RMB (2,570 USD)
- Development: developing; the city is a major producer of coal and has related industries such as chemical and metallurgical industries. It was a major stream locomotive producer until the 1970s and now produces regular electric locomotives.
- Industry: 47.2% tertiary industry (services), 47.7% secondary (mining, manufacturing), 5.1% primary (agriculture)
- CBD: 40.07N, 113.29E in Xinwangshang District
- Shopping Streets: Daxi Street
- Datong Airport served about 6.3 million passengers in 2010.
- 3 expressways intersect there
- 1 encircling ring expressway
Questions and Answers About Datong Facts
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on December 16, 2012
See all my travel articles