Name: Guangzhou (广州; Guǎngzhōu (/guang-zhou/)
Meaning: 'broad prefecture'
Previous names: Panyu, Canton
Most popular food: dim sum
- This has long been one of China's richest trading cities.
- Guangzhou is a base for foreign merchants and traders.
- Canton Import and Export Fair (Canton Fair): held twice every year; it is the largest and most comprehensive trade fair in China.
- Ancient: Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, Huaisheng Mosque, The Chen Clan Academy, Sacred Heart Cathedral, Temple of the Six Banyan Trees, Kaiping Towers and villages,
- Modern: Canton Tower, Guangzhou Opera House, Guangdong Provincial Museum, Shamian Island
- Nature: White Clouds Mountain, Nanling National Forest Park,
- Amusement: Yuexiu Park, night cruise on Pearl River, Guangzhou Zoo, Guangzhou Chimelong Holiday Resort,
- Most famous food: dim sum, soup
- Most popular souvenirs and local products: Chinese embroidery, jade sculpture and jewelry, Wang Lao Ji (popular beverage), electronics goods, clothing
The city has been a provincial capital city since the Han Empire era 2,200 years ago and a major trading port since about the year 226.
- 206 BC The area became the capital of the Nanyue Kingdom.
- 111 BC Panyu became a provincial capital of the Han Dynasty.
- 1700s Under the Qing Dynasty, Canton became the biggest international trading port in the country.
- 1841 The British Empire captured Canton.
- 1938 The Empire of Japan conquered the city.
- 1949 The Communists conquered the city.
- Significance of city: international merchants center; China's third largest city
- Nearby cities: Dongguan (50 km/31 mi), Shenzhen (244 km/152 mi), Hong Kong (134 km/84 mi)
- Municipality terrain: Pearl River Delta and low mountains with the South China Sea as the southern boundary
- Average altitude: 21 meters (68 feet)
- Main rivers: Pearl River
- Municipality location: 22.26N to 23.56N, 112.57E to 114.03E, in southeastern China
- Municipality Population: 12,700,000
- Municipality Area: 7,434 sq km (2,870 sq mi)
- Urban area: 3,843 sq km (1,484 sq mi)
- Urban population: 11,000,000
- Urban population density: 2,862/sq km
- City center: Dr. Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall (23.13N, 113.36E), in Yuexiu District
- Average highest temperature in July: 32.8 °C (90.9 °F)
- Average lowest temperature in January: 10.3 °C (50.5 °F)
- Humid subtropical climate with annual monsoons from April to September; annual precipitation: 1,735 mm (68.3 in). There is a sudden onset of the monsoon season involving rainfall and a change of temperature each spring.
- Average annual income: (2008) 89,498 RMB (13,111 USD)
- Development: developed; the per capita income is among the highest of China's large cities. It is an electronics and clothing manufacture center and a trade hub for international merchants.
- CBD: Tianhe East Train Station (23.15 N, 113.33 E)
- Shopping streets: Beijing Lu Pedestrian Street, Shangxiajiu Pedestrian Street, Tee Mall
- Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport; this airport is one of the three major air transportation hubs in China.
- 8 subway lines cover a total length of 236 km (147 mi)
- 2 central ring roads
- 4 regular rail lines
- The Wuhan–Guangzhou High-Speed Railway covers 980 km (610 mi) at an average speed of 320 km/h.
Questions and Answers About Guangzhou Facts
Hi Devang, sorry, we are a travel agency. We don't have those information.Whitney Liao replied on 2013-08-02
Hi Rozita, Dongfang Hotel Guangzhou in Yuexiu District is recommended. http://www.chinahighlights.com/hotel/guangzhou-hotels/dongfang-hotel-guangzhou.htmWhitney Liao replied on 2013-04-02
Hi Tom, Hengdong Hotel is about 6km to the Sports Center. Yes, some of the Chinese( especially the young one) speak some English.Whitney Liao replied on 2013-03-27
Hi Priscilla, it is CNY550 for an English speaking tour guide to assist business for you per day(8hrs). The price doesn't include the meal or transportation cost. Our tour guide can pick you up from the airport and escort you to the hotel, however, as we state before, the cost on transportation is on your expense.Whitney Liao replied on 2013-02-05
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on March 13, 2013
See all my travel articles
- Things to Do
- Top Reasons to Visit
- Top Things to Do
- Top Places to Shop
- Places to see fall foliage
- Best Guangzhou Camping Sites
- Half Day or One Day in Guangzhou
- Top Free Things to Do in Guangzhou
- Golf Courses
- About Canton Fair
- About 114th Canton Fair
- Canton Fair History
- 114th Canton Fair Schedule in 2013
- Canton Fair Business Facilities
- Pazhou Complex