Name: Guilin (桂林; Guìlín; (/gway-leen/)
Meaning: "osmanthus tree woods"
Previous name: Guizhou
- One of China's main tourist cities
- It is renowned for its mountain-river scenery.
- Yangshuo and northern Guilin regions are especially scenic.
- Natural: Li River, Elephant Trunk Hill, Reed Flute Cave, Longji Terraced Fields, Xingping Ancient Town, Solitary Beauty Peak, Yulong River in Yangshuo, Moon Hill, Yao Mountain, Gudong Waterfall, Bajiaozhai Geography Park, Two Rivers and Four Lakes Water System
- Adventure: Li River Hiking, Rafting Yangshuo's Yulong River
- Ancient: Ling Canal, ethnic villages in Longsheng, Qin Family's Courtyard, Huangyao Ancient Town, Jiangtou Village of Jiuwu Town, Daxu Ancient Town, The Mausoleum of Jing Jiang Prince, Sanjiang Wind and Rain Bridge
- Amusement: Merryland Theme Park, Yuzi Paradise, Seven Star Park and Zoo
Most Popular Souvenirs and Local Products
Cultured pearls, landscape paintings, souvenirs, Luo Han Guo (a kind of fruit for beverages), osmanthus flowers (herbal tea), paper fans, Chinese painting and calligraphy
A city region renowned for its scenic beauty in China
- 314 BC A small village existed at the site
- 214 BC The Ling Canal linked the Yangtze River and the Li River and Pearl River
- 507 AD The town was named Guizhou
- 1921 Became a base for the Northern Expeditionary Army
- 1981 Chosen by the government to be one of four especially protected cities
- Significance of city: a favorite area for Chinese and foreign tourists
- Municipality terrain: eroded limestone hills, the Li River and many streams and canals
- Nearby cities: Liuzhou (152 km/95 mi), Nanning (388 km/ 241 mi), Beihai (600 km/373 mi)
- Average altitude: 153 (502 feet)
- Main rivers: Li River
- Municipality location: 24.20N to 26.07N, 109.61E to 111.24E; South China
- Municipality Population: 5,000,000
- Municipality Area: 27,809 sq km (10,737 sq mi)
- Core districts and inner suburbs area: 1,000 sq km (386 sq mi)
- City proper population: 1,340,000
- City proper population density: 1,340/sq km (3,471/sq mi)
- North to south distance (including suburbs): 28 km (17 mi)
- East to west distance (including suburbs): 35 km (22 mi)
- City center: Central Square (25.275 N, 110.296 E)
- Average high temperature in August: 32.8 °C (91 °F)
- Average low temperature in January: -5.4 °C (41.7 °F)
- The weather is humid subtropical with monsoons; annual precipitation: 1901.3 mm (74.9 in).
- Average annual income: 19,435 RMB (2,858 USD)
- Development: developing; the city is open for foreign tourists and is famous for its scenery
- Industry: 37.2 tertiary industry (tourism, service), 39% secondary (industry, construction), 18.9% primary (agriculture)
- Business area: corner of Zhongshan Zhong Road and Jiefang Road (25.27N, 110.29E)
- Shopping Streets: Zhongshan Zhong Road
- Guilin Liangjiang International Airport
- 1 main ring road
- 2 train stations: Guilin Train Station and Guilin North Station
- 1 large intercity bus station
Questions and Answers About Guilin Facts
Hi Jalal, I recommend the Mausoleum of Jing Prince, Xingping Ancient Town, Daxu Ancient Town to you. When will you come to Guilin, please? How long will you stay here? We are very glad to help arrange your Guilin tour. We are based in Guilin, on the LiRiver side, welcome to visit our office.Whitney Liao replied on 2013-07-06
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on April 14, 2014
See all my travel articles