Nanjing Travel Guide
Nanjing is the capital of Jiangsu Province, and in the past it was the capital of several empires and of the Republic of China. Nanjing means “Southern Capital.” It has alternated with Beijing as the capital of big empires and of modern governments. Beijing means Northern Capital. In the past, it was a prominent city, and its rulers benefited from the partial control of trade on the big and long Yangtze River that allowed trade vessels to travel from Sichuan in the west of China to Shanghai and the Pacific Ocean.
During the Ming Empire, it was the largest city in China. Now it is a city of about 8 million people, and it isn’t considered one of the bigger cities in China. The remains of the empires of the past can be toured all over the city, and the nearby Purple Mountain (Zijinshan) area has many historical, cultural, and religious sites to visit. You can also go there for walks or to exercise in the parks and natural areas. Nanjing is an important destination in a tour of China. The highlights include Purple Mountain, the Mausoleum of Sun Yat-Sen, Confucius Temple, Mingxiaoling Mausoleum, Qinhuai River, the Memorial Hall to the Victims in the Nanjing Massacre, Linggu Temple, the Presidential Palace and Mochou Lake.
The government has built museums and memorials to Sun Yat-Sen and his revolution and the Chinese who died during the Japanese occupation. There is also a memorial for the thousands of American airmen who died defending China. Many ancient historical sites in the city and on Purple Mountain including Ming Xiaoling Mausoleum are preserved and developed for visitors.
One very good distinction of the city is that it is reported to have about the lowest crime rate in China. Another distinction is that it has the biggest inland port in China that can handle big ocean-going ships. What is called the biggest train station in Asia is being built in the southern part of the city at the Nanjing South Train Station, and one of the world’s fastest trains is being built to connect it with Beijing.
Location: On the Yangtze River near the western border of Jiangsu Province. It is about 300 kilometers (200 miles) from the sea and Shanghai. It is on the southern side of the Yangtze that protected the city from enemies in the north. In the area of Nanjing, the Yangtze River flows from the southwest to the northeast.
- Purple Mountain that has Sun Yat-Sen’s Mausoleum Mingxiaoling Mausoleum, Linggu Temple, other historical sites and temples and natural places.
- Qinhuai River
- The Memorial Hall to the Victims in the Nanjing Massacre
- Confucius Temple
- Mochou Lake
- The Yangtze River Bridge that was built in 1968 is the longest in China (6,705 meters).
- Yangtze River Cruises
- Learn about the history of China.
- See the sites.
- Go on a Yangtze River cruise ship or tour the area by boat.
- Enjoy the Purple Mountain and Qixia Mountain scenic areas.
Best Time to Visit: During the months of May and September, October and November when it is warm but there isn’t the heaviest monsoon rain.
Transportation: Nanjing is served by bullet trains, and they are convenient and economical compared to flying from or to Shanghai, Wuxi, Suzhou and Hangzhou. Many more routes are under construction, and they are planned to begin operation in the next four years.
- Name of airport: LukouInternationalAirport, Nanjing
- Distance to city: 35 km
- Taxi fare: CNY 100
- Journey time (one way): approximately 35 min
- Airport tax: CNY 90
- Min. 2 °C (in Jan)
- Max. 28 °C (in Jul)
- Annual Rainfall: 3325mm
- Rainy Season: Mar - Jun
- Best Season to visit: late Autumn
- Official Languages: Mandarin
- Language of Business and Administration: Mandarin and English
220 volts, 50 cycles
Useful Telephone Numbers
- Tourist Hotline: 5261179
- Ambulance: 120, 7213460
- Emergencies: 110 (foreigner's section 552729)
- Fire: 119
- Tel No. Enquiry: 114
- Police: 110
- Foreign Affairs Office of Police: 7216795
Questions and Answers About Nanjing Travel Guide
The public bus transportation cost about CNY1 or CNY2 from one stop to another in Nanjing city.
it cost around CNY25 to CNY50/meal normally, it depends on the restaurant.Lily Guo replied on 2013-12-15
Hi Lisa, Nanjing is the capital city of Jiangsu Province. So if you are in Nanjing or Suzhou now, you are already in Jiangsu.
Do you want a one-day tour in Nanjing?
Have you booked your hotel?
On which day would you like to take the tour, please?Whitney Liao replied on 2013-08-09
Hi Elizebeth, you can get a brief overview of Nanjing via here: http://www.chinahighlights.com/nanjing/Whitney Liao replied on 2013-04-12
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
- Chinese Name: 南京
- Chinese Pinyin: nán jīng
- Location: East of China
- Latitude: 32° 14' N
- Longitude : 118° 50' E
- Elevation: 50 M (164 FT)
- Time Zone: (UTC+8)
- Area Code: 025
- Population: 6.3 million