Tianmen Mountain, the soul of Zhangjiajie, is named after the huge cave in the mountain like a gate to heaven called Tianmen Cave, or 'Heaven Gate' Cave. Tianmen Mountain was recognized as a national forest park in 1992. It is not only a paradise for scenery, but also for photography and adventure.
Tianmen Mountain is regarded as a "heavenly garden" because there are a bounty of rare species of plants and old trees on the mountain. The many natural wonders of Tianmen Mountain attract thousands of tourists every year.
The Tianmen Mountain Cableway
Tianmen Mountain Cableway is the longest mountain cableway in the world, starting from Zhangjiajie city center to the peak of the mountain. The man-made marvel lets you view the karst landscape covered by trees from a good vantage point.
Tianmen Cave is a water-eroded cave, which is considered to be a door linking the common world with heaven.
Climb 999 steps, called Heaven-Reaching Ladder to reach the cave. At Tianmen Cave the magical and mysterious changing fog and cloud can usually be seen.
One of the apparent miracles of Tianmen Cave occurs when people can't see Tianmen Cave from the city, and it seems to local people that Tianmen Cave is moving from north to northwest.
Another wonder of Tianmen Cave is that there is flood in the dry season on the left side of the cliff, but people can't find the source of the water.
Heaven-Linking Avenue is a twisting road, running from the foot of the mountain to Heaven-Reaching Ladder. Seen from the top of the mountain, it is massive, and looks like a dragon lying on the mountainside. This road is a good place for bicycle races.
Skywalk on Tianmen Mountain
The see-through Skywalk on Tianmen Mountain gives tourists a sense of terrifying and breathtaking splendor. Standing on such a high place, looking down directly through the glass bridge, you may feel like you are suspended in the air, getting a bird's eye view of nature.
The skywalk is one of the attractions on Tianmen Mountain for adventure lovers as well as the rock climbing.
Best Time to Visit
April to October is the golden time to travel to Tianmen Mountain, as the temperature during this period is moderate and comfortable.
December to February is the best time to appreciate snow scenery in the mountain, but also for many photographers to take plenty of great pictures of magical nature.
Note the temperature difference between the foot and top of the mountain is large, so bringing some thick clothes to keep warm is necessary.
- Location: 8 kilometers from Zhangjiajie City in Hunan province, South China
- Open: 8am to 6pm. The Tianmen Mountains National Forest Park Scenic Area is closed if it snows heavily.
- Ticket price: 258 yuan per person (including round-trip cable car ride, entrance fee for Tianmen Cave and peak areas, and a meal, but not including accommodation on the mountain).
- How to get there: Take Zhangjiajie bus 4, 5, 6 or 10, and get off at Tianmen Mountain Cableway. It takes about 10 minutes to get to the foot of the mountain and only costs 1 yuan.
- Recommended duration for a visit: one day or a half day
Nearby Attractions in Zhangjiajie
- Baofeng Lake
- Yellow Dragon Cavern
- Wulingyuan Scenic Area
Questions and Answers About Tianmen Mountain
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.