Great Wall Culture
- the longest fully-restored section open to tourists.
- the best preserved section of the Great Wall.
- steep with many watchtowers and breathtaking views.
- known as the First Pass Under Heaven since ancient times.
- Chinese Pinyin: Cháng Chéng
- Location: North China
- Length: 6,260 km (3,890 miles)
- Great Wall Facts »
Unification, Separation and Attraction
Unification of China
The Great Wall is a powerful symbol. It represents the unification of China, because it was linked together as China was unified for the first time in the Qin Dynasty (221-206 BC). It represents the awesome ability of the Chinese to work together for the good of the country.
Separation of a Nation
While it represents unity on the China side the Great Wall represents separation from the rest of the world on the other, along with the lengths a nation will go to preserve their culture and keep invaders out.
Ironically, as a tourist attraction, the Great Wall is now helping to draw millions of outsiders in to China to experience Chinese culture. China welcomes you!
If you are also attracted by the prospect of walking on the hugely symbolic Great Wall, see our range of Great Wall Tours.
Legends and Myths of the Great Wall
Many legends and myths exist regarding the building of this wall. Some of the famous stories are as follows:
This is a legend about love and devotion. It tells the story of Meng Jiangnü and her anguish after her husband died building the wall. It is said that her bitter weeping caused a section of the wall to collapse. Read the Meng Jiangnü story.
This story tells of the construction of the Huanghuacheng Great Wall. The great general who masterminded this section was beheaded wrongly for his high expenditures, but later redeemed and honored. Read the "Metal Soup" Great Wall story.
A story of love between father and son and their reunion at Xifengkou. Read the Xifengkou story.
- One-Day Great Wall Tours
- Include transport, entry, tour guide and lunch.
- 4-Day Essence of Beijing Tour A
- See the top sights of Beijing, including the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
- 6-Day Great Wall Hiking Around Beijing Tour
- Includes Mutianyu, Gubeikou, Jinshanling, Simatai and Huangya Pass.
- 8-Day Essence of China Tour – Beijing, Xi’an, Shanghai
- See the top sights of China’s Golden Triangle, including the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
- more Great Wall Tours