Jiumenkou Great Wall
Jiumenkou (Entrance to nine gates) Great Wall is located at the border shared by Liaoning and Hebei Provinces, in the Jiukoushan area, 15 kilometers away from Shanhaiguan Pass in the south.
Jiiumenkou Great Wall was first built in Beiqi (479-502BC) and expanded during the Ming Dynasty. Since then, it had served as an important military pass and was renowned as the "first pass to Beijing". The original wall was 1704 meters long. Jiumenkou Wall is the only one that was partially built over water. Around 100 meters of the wall traverses the Jiujiang River. Search a Great Wall Tour
This section of the wall was constructed with a mixture of bricks and stones. The fortification in this area was very strong with dozens of watchtowers, watering towers, battle platforms, and beacon towers.
Jiumenkou Pass is the transportation artery from northeast to central China.
The Jiukoushan area has towering mountains, steep and perilous cliffs and deep valleys. The walls spanned the mountainous terrains and hugged the area's numerous peaks and valleys. It is a classic example of the harmonious relationships of architecture and nature.
Jiumenkou Great Wall was added to the World Cultural Heritage list in 2002. This section of the wall has opened to tourists.
- One-Day Great Wall Tours from $87*
- Include transport, entry, tour guide and lunch.
- 4-Day Essence of Beijing Tour A from $445*
- See the top sights of Beijing, including the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
- 6-Day Great Wall Hiking Around Beijing Tour from $885*
- Includes Mutianyu, Gubeikou, Jinshanling, Simatai and Huangya Pass.
- 8-Day Essence of China Tour – Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai from $1463*
- See the top sights of China's Golden Triangle, including the Great Wall at Mutianyu.
- more Great Wall Tours *Prices based on 2 persons