The Top 10 Malls in China
China has been having a mall construction boom. According to the CBRE research group, in 2013 the Chinese are building half of the brand new mall space in the world. There might be 30 percent vacancy in malls next year in 2014.
To put the construction boom in perspective, in just one inland city called Chengdu, companies have recently been completing 2.9 million square meters of mall space. More new mall space is being built in Chengdu than in 89 Western European cities combined.
Hong Kong and Macau are where low taxes, duty free shopping, and the presence of products and sellers from all over the world makes the selection among the best in the world and keeps prices down. Hong Kong has no tax on electronics, and much of it sourced directly from China.
Hong Kong is the premier shopping destination in China. These ten in Hong Kong, Macau and the Mainland stand out as China's best malls.
1. New Century Global Center
- Features: THE BIGGEST MALL IN THE WORLD (and BIGGEST BUILDING!), water park, IMAX theater, 2,000 hotel rooms, 16 million square feet (150 hectares)
This just completed mall in Chengdu, the New Century Global Center is super big. It has become the best mall for tourists in the mainland of China.
It is designed to be a self-contained town. It includes an indoor beach area that is more than a kilometer long. It is twice the size of both the previous mall record holder in Dubai and the biggest mall in Guangdong called the New South China Mall.Transport: Line 1 to Century City, the most southerly stop
2. IFC Mall
- Features: scenery, world's best transport, world's top restaurants; Four MTR Lines meet underneath; 200 boutiques and stores
- Products: luxury fashion, jewelry, watches, electronics
The IFC shopping mall in the IFC Towers is the best luxury mall in China for tourists wanting to enjoy luxury shopping complemented by its views, fine dining and convenient location.
It overlooks Victoria Harbor, and its rooftop cafes and bars and the presence of two 3-Michelin starred restaurants are astounding. There are only three other 3-Michelin rated restaurants in HK, Macau, and China, and only 10 in the entire US!
It is a place to watch the Symphony of Lights.
- Transport: MTR Hong Kong Station or Central Station
3. Landmark Mall
- Features: top fashion mall in Hong Kong
- Products: luxury fashion
In the Landmark Mall and three other interlinked buildings, you'll find the world's best women's luxury brands: Gucci, Tiffany & Co., Polo, Marc Jacobs, Paul Smith, Vivienne Tam, and many others.
- Transport: MTR Central Station
4. Harbour City Mall
- Features: Hong Kong's biggest mall, 2 million square feet (18 hectares), 700 shops, middle-priced restaurants, central location
- Products: clothing, electronics, consumer products
While exploring the expansive Harbour City Mall that takes up city blocks under one roof, you'll find that here are closeup views of the harbor and the large ships that dock by it. It is the most popular mall in China in terms of sales.
- Transport: MTR Tsim Sha Tsui Station or Star Ferry
5. Citygate Outlets
- Features: 80 international brand name factory outlets, large low-priced cafeteria
- Products: brand name clothing and shoes: Bally, Brooks Brothers, Burberry, Calvin Klein, Adidas, Nike, Puma, and Esprit
Conveniently located next to Hong Kong International Airport is a shopping mecca for middle-priced quality goods. These are quality goods, not factory rejects. They claim that prices are 30 to 70 percent below regular prices.
Families like it because the many restaurants provide a variety of international cuisine at prices starting around 50 HKD (6.50 USD).
- Transport: MTR Tung Chung on Lantau Island next to the airport. Let us help you plan your personalized shopping tour.
6. Venetian, Macau
- Features: indoor Venice canal reconstruction, 1 million square feet (9 hectares), 350 shops, many restaurants, and amusements
- Products: luxury novelties, jewelry, gold and silver, and fashion
The Grand Canal in the Venetian is a place for more than shopping. Walking around inside is entertaining. The changing sky scenery makes it look realistic. You can take picture of yourself and your companions that look like you were in Venice.
The Venetian is the biggest casino in the world. One of the draws is duty free shopping.
- Transport: Let us help you plan a Macau tour.
7. SEG Electronics
- Features: huge mall, wholesale and retail sales
- Products: electronics and computer products and parts
The SEG Electronics Mall takes up the first eight floors of a big shiny skyscraper in Huaqiangbei. It is a big factory outlet center right next to several others.
Huaqiangbei District is Shenzhen's electronics center, and Guangdong Province is a world center for electronics manufacturing. So if you are looking for the widest selection of low priced electronics, Huaqiangbei is probably the best place in China. There are millions of types of brand name, generic, and fake products. Shop carefully.
Its location close to the busy border of Hong Kong and next to a metro station is ideal.
- Transport: Metro Line 1, Huaqiang Lu Station
8. Super Brand Mall, Shanghai
- Features: cleanliness, place to find bargains, huge international food court, oriented for foreigners
- Products: brand name and luxury products, local Chinese products
The selection and location near several of the world's tallest skyscrapers in the Liujiazui financial district is what makes the Super Brand Mall an attractive place for tourists and business people.
In the huge mall, you'll find all the foreign stores in Shanghai together with some economical local Chinese stores.
- Transport: Metro Line 2, Liujiazui Station
9. Oriental Plaza Mall (Bei Fang Shin Tian Di)
- Features: one of the top luxury malls in Beijing, 1.3 million square feet (13 hectares), convenient central location
- Products: luxury products (Burberry, Piaget, etc.), middle priced products
China has become the biggest luxury goods market in the world. This large luxury mall is known for good reasonably-priced restaurants and an economical food court. There is range of quality and selection so that most tourists can enjoy it.
- Transport: Line 1, Wangfujing Station (王府井), Exit A
10. Yintai Center
- Features: top luxury mall in the CBD, 60 shops
- Products: luxury products, fashion (Armani, Hermes, etc.), Chinese brands
This mall is located in the luxury Park Hyatt Hotel complex in the Beijing business district. It is a place to escape from the crowds and enjoy the high-end shopping, browsing and fine dining.
- Transport: 2 Jianguomenwaidajie, Chaoyang District; Line 1, Guomao Station, Gate C
Recently opened Galaxy SOHO , Beijing's largest mall, didn't make it onto the list at the time of writing, but would be worth including now, if only for its futuristic sky-themed architecture.
You may want to read more on the 7 Modern Wonders of China.
Questions and Answers About The Top 10 Malls in China
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.