6 Most Beautiful Mountains in China
China is a vast country with many mountains. Some are scenic and magnificent, while some are related to religion and culture. China Highlights has listed the following most famous mountains in China, including four Buddhist mountains. Contact us for a customized tour.
- Location: Huangshan City, Anhui Province, East China
- Feature: A World Heritage Site listed by UNESCO. A famous scenic mountain featuring oddly shaped pines, grotesque rocks, sea of clouds and sunrise/sunset.
- View photos
- Yellow Mountains Classic Tour
It is said that Huangshan is the place where the Yellow Emperor, the mythical ancestor of the Chinese, lived, refined precious medicines and became a supernatural being. Outstanding natural beauty is Huangshan's number one feature. The glow of the sunrise and sunset draws the crowds to popular viewing spots.
2. Mount Tai
- Location: Tai'an City, Shandong Province, East China
- Feature: A World Heritage Site listed by UNESCO. It is the most sacred Taoist mountain and of historical and cultural significance in China.
- View photos
- Essence of Shandong Tour
The word "tai" in Chinese means stability and peace and the name Tai'an is attributed to the saying: "If Mount Tai is stable, so is the entire country". Many ancient Chinese emperors performed mountain worship ceremonies on Mount Tai. It is said to be the first and foremost thing for emperors to do when they ascend to the throne, because Mount Tai is seen as the symbol of the county's peace and prosperity.
3. Four Buddhist Mountains in China
Mount Wutai in Shanxi Province, Mount Jiuhua in Anhua Province, Mount Putuo in Zhejiang Province and Mount Emei in Sichuan Province are regarded as the four sacred mountains in Chinese Buddhism. With the introduction of Buddhism into China, the construction process of temples and other Buddhist venues began from the Han Dynasty about 1,800 years ago. The mountains are home to many of China's most important monasteries and temples.
4. Mount Wutai
- Location: Taiyuan City, Shanxi Province, North China
- Feature: A World Heritage Site listed by UNESCO. It is the oldest and the most prestigious among the four.
- World Heritage Sites Tour in North China
Mount Wutai has an abundance of smaller peaks - many odd-shaped - rock outcroppings, steep cliffs, and beautiful caves, ponds of various sizes, bubbling springs and spring-fed streams. Many temples on Mount Wutai have, as an extra feature, pagodas. These vary in material from wood to brick to iron to stone, including more exotic materials such as glazed glass and crystal glass.
5. Mount Emei
- Location: Leshan City, Sichuan Province, Southwest China
- Feature: A World Heritage Site listed by UNESCO. A well-known summer destination and a sacred Buddhist haven.
- View photos
- 5-Day Chengdu and Mount Emei Tour
The mountain is characterized by lofty ancient trees, impressive waterfalls, pristine brooks and numerous Buddhist temples. The mountain enjoys great popularity among Buddhists in China. Every morning streams of Buddhism pilgrims armed with joss sticks conquer the steep stairs of the mountain and swarm into the countless temples. The numerous monkeys on the mountain are also a notable feature.
6. Mount Putuo
- Location: Hangzhou City, Zhejiang Province, East China
- Feature: It displays the beauty between mountain and sea.
- Putuo Island and Shanghai Essence Tour
There are fantastic vistas of the surrounding seascapes from Mount Putuo. It is home to the most famous Guanyin (a Bodhisattva) temple in all over China, and a 33-meter-tall Guanyin statue. It has many beaches among which Hundred Step Beach and Thousand Step Beach are the two major ones with facilities such as deckchairs, parasols and water activities.
7. Mount Jiuhua
- Location: Chizhou City, Anhui Province, East China
- Feature: It is a popular summer destination, and also a holy site where Buddhists assemble.
- Customize a tour
Literally meaning "Nine Glorious Mountains", Mount Jiuhua is home to ancient caves, waterfalls, old pines, streams and exuberant growths of bamboo. Within the richly variegated landscape, many ancient temples and nunneries nestle on the mountain. Pious Buddhists often climb to Greater Tiantai peak, which is regarded as the most important, although it is not the tallest of Mount Jiuhua.
- China's Top 6 Spectacular Grasslands and Pastures
- History of China
- Religions in China
- China Hiking Tours
Questions and Answers About 6 Most Beautiful Mountains in China
Hi Nalini, I am happy to help arrange the China tour for you. Could you kindly let me know below the information:
1) the number of people in your group?
2) tour starting date and duration?
3) style of hotel?
4) Your budget per person?
I will send you the detailed itinerary with quotation, okay? Thanks, WhitneyWhitney Liao replied on 2014-03-17
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.