Name: Beijing (北京Běijīng /bay-jing/)
Previous names: Peking, Beiping, Dadu, Jingcheng, and Yanjing
Beijing, China's second largest city after Shanghai, dominates the north of China, despite its proximity to the ports of Tianjin Municipality, China's third largest city.
The Great Wall
- The Great Wall: Badaling, Mutianyu, Simatai, etc. sections
- The Forbidden City, The Temple of Heaven, Tiananmen Square, The Summer Palace, The Ming Tombs, The Hutongs
- Most famous food: Beijing duck
- Most popular souvenirs and local products: Cloisonné, inside-painted snuff bottles, eight treasures inkpads, antiques, Chinese painting and calligraphy
Capital of 8 notable dynasties and governments:
- 221 BC Yan State Capital, Warring States Period
- 1271 first a national capital for the Yuan Dynasty
- 1402 Became Ming Dynasty (1368–1644) capital
- 1644 Qing Dynasty capital
- 1912 Republic of China capital
- October 1, 1949 People's Republic of China inaugurated by Mao Zedong
- 2008: hosted the Olympic Games
- Significance of city:capital of the People's Republic of China; political, educational and cultural center, China's No.1 tourist city, China's second largest city.
- Nearby cities: Tianjin (120km/75mi), Shijiazhuang (230km/140mi), Qinhuangdao (270km/170mi).
- Municipality terrain: Huabei Plain, 32% plain, 68% mountains, 180 km (110 mi) from the Bohai Sea at Tianjin.
- Average altitude: 44 meters (144 feet)
- Main rivers:Yongding, Chaobai and the North Canal.
The Forbidden City.
- Municipality location: 39.45N to 41.06N, 115.42 to 117.26E, North China
- Municipality Population:19,600,000
- Municipality Area:16,800 sq km (6,487 sq mi)
- Built up area: 3,200 sq km (1,200 sq mi)
- Core districts and inner suburbs area:1,400 sq km (540 sq mi)
- City proper population: 11,700,000
- City proper population density: 7,400/sq km
- North to south distance (including suburbs): 64 km (40 mi)
- East to west distance (including suburbs): 64 km (40 mi)
- City center: Tian'anmen (39.9087N, 116.3974E), between Tian'anmen Square and the Forbidden City
- Average annual income (2008): 36,000 RMB (4,600 USD)
- Development: rich and well-developed, behind only Shanghai and Hong Kong
- Industry: 73% tertiary industry (especially finance), also automobile and real estate, pharmaceuticals, electronics, and materials engineering.
- CBD: Guomao Area (39.91N, 116.46E), Chaoyang District
- Shopping Streets: Wangfujing Street
Facts of major cities and attractions in China