Name: Beijing (北京Běijīng /bay-jing/)
Previous names: Peking, Beiping, Dadu, Jingcheng, and Yanjing
- The world's longest wall and biggest ancient architecture, the Great Wall
- The world's largest palace, the Forbidden City
- Northern terminus of China's Grand Canal
- The Great Wall: Badaling, Mutianyu, Simatai, etc. sections
- The Forbidden City, The Temple of Heaven, Tiananmen Square, The Summer Palace, The Ming Tombs, The Hutongs
- Most famous food: Beijing duck
- Most popular souvenirs and local products: Cloisonné, inside-painted snuff bottles, eight treasures inkpads, antiques, Chinese painting and calligraphy
Capital of 8 notable dynasties and governments:
- 221 BC Yan State Capital, Warring States Period
- 1271 first a national capital for the Yuan Dynasty
- 1402 Became Ming Dynasty (1368–1644) capital
- 1644 Qing Dynasty capital
- 1912 Republic of China capital
- October 1, 1949 People's Republic of China inaugurated by Mao Zedong
- 2008: hosted the Olympic Games
- Significance of city: capital of the People's Republic of China; political, educational and cultural center, China's No.1 tourist city, China's second largest city.
- Nearby cities: Tianjin (120km/75mi), Shijiazhuang (230km/140mi), Qinhuangdao (270km/170mi).
- Municipality terrain: Huabei Plain, 32% plain, 68% mountains, 180 km (110 mi) from the Bohai Sea at Tianjin.
- Average altitude: 44 meters (144 feet)
- Main rivers: Yongding, Chaobai and the North Canal.
- Municipality location: 39.45N to 41.06N, 115.42 to 117.26E, North China
- Municipality Population: 19,600,000
- Municipality Area: 16,800 sq km (6,487 sq mi)
- Built up area: 3,200 sq km (1,200 sq mi)
- Core districts and inner suburbs area: 1,400 sq km (540 sq mi)
- City proper population: 11,700,000
- City proper population density: 7,400/sq km
- North to south distance (including suburbs): 64 km (40 mi)
- East to west distance (including suburbs): 64 km (40 mi)
- City center: Tian'anmen (39.9087N, 116.3974E), between Tian'anmen Square and the Forbidden City
- Highest temperature: 42 °C (109 °F)
- Lowest temperature: -27 °C (-17 °F)
- Dry, annual precipitation: 570 mm (22 in)
- Known for air pollution (improved dramatically since the 2008 Olympics) and dust storms
- Average annual income (2008): 36,000 RMB (4,600 USD)
- Development: rich and well-developed, behind only Shanghai and Hong Kong
- Industry: 73% tertiary industry (especially finance), also automobile and real estate, pharmaceuticals, electronics, and materials engineering.
- CBD: Guomao Area (39.91N, 116.46E), Chaoyang District
- Shopping Streets: Wangfujing Street
- Beijing Capital International Airport is the second busiest airport in the world and busiest in Asia.
- 14 line subway (21 more lines to be added by 2020).
- 5 main concentric ring roads: 5 million registered vehicles (famous for congestion)
- Largest railway hub in China: 4 main stations service 590 trains/day
Hello mimi, yes, shunyi district is part of Beijing. It is at the northeast of Beijing. The Beijing Capital Airport is also in shunyi district. Will you go to shunyi district? Please let me know if there is anything i can help you.Simon Huang Replied on 2012-10-09
- Beijing Things To Do
- Top Things to Do
- Top Reasons to Visit Beiing
- Things to Do With Kids