Name: Suzhou (苏州; Sūzhōu (/sue-zhou/)
Meaning: "revived prefecture"
Previous names: Great City of Helu
- Suzhou has long been one of China's richest cities.
- The classical landscaped gardens were listed as UNESCO World Heritage
- It is now an electronics industry center.
- Grand Canal: an ancient very large waterworks project that transformed East Asia.
- Classical Gardens of Suzhou (UNESCO World Heritage)
- Humble Administrators Garden, Panmen Gate, The Garden of the Master of Nets, Lingering Garden, Lion Grove, Tiger Hill, Zhouzhuang Water Town, Hanshan Temple, Tongli, Silk Museum
- Most popular souvenirs and local products: Su embroidery, silk cloth and clothing, jade sculpture and jewelry, tapestries, Biluochun Tea (expensive local green tea), electronics goods, clothing, shoes, cultured freshwater pearls
- Most popular food: Song Shu Gui Yu
After the construction of the Grand Canal, the city became a city of wealthy merchants. During the early Qing era, some thought it was the most prosperous city.
- 514 BC King Helu established the Great City of Helu as his capital city.
- 209 BC Xiang Yu began an uprising that ended the Qin Empire.
- 1130 The Jin Empire conquered the city.
- 1367 Zhu who became the first emperor of the Ming Empire conquered Suzhou.
- 1860 Taiping soldiers captured Suzhou.
- 1937 The Japanese army captured the city.
- 1997 and 2000 Several of Suzhou's cultured gardens were listed in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
- Significance of city: it has long been one of the wealthiest merchant cities. Now it is an electronics manufacturing center and is a tourist highlight for its gardens.
- Nearby cities: Shanghai (66 km/41 mi), Nanjing (192 km/119 mi), Wuxi (21 km/33 mi), Hangzhou (108 km/67 mi), Ningbo (183 km/114 mi)
- Municipality terrain: plain of Taihu Lake
- Average altitude: 4 meters (13 feet)
- Main rivers: Grand Canal, Wusongjiang River
- City location: 31.33N, 120.62E, in eastern China
- Municipality Population: 10,500,000
- Municipality Area: 8,488 sq km (3,277 sq mi)
- Urban population: 4,074,000
- Urban population density: 2,469/sq km (6,396/sq mi)
- Average highest temperature in July: 31.8 °C (88.3 °F)
- Average lowest temperature in January: 1.1 °C (34 °F)
- Humid subtropical climate with four seasons and influenced by the monsoon; annual precipitation: 1,164 mm (45.8 in).
- Average annual income: 117,200 RMB (17,169 USD)
- Development: developed; the per capita income is among the highest of China's cities. It is an electronics and clothing manufacture center. It is also a rich agricultural area, and fossil fuels are produced there.
- Industry: 34.2% tertiary industry (finance, trade, services), 37.9% secondary (industry), 27.9% primary (agriculture, pearls, mining, oil)
- CBD: Central Park (31.31N, 120.66E) in the Suzhou CBD
- Shopping streets: Shi Quan Street
- There is no airport, so people travel via the Shanghai, Wuxi and Nanjing airports.
- 2 line metro system
- 1 major train station that is among the country's busiest.
- 1 outer ring road
- Ocean, Yangtze River and Grand Canal cruises are for sightseeing.
Questions and Answers About Suzhou Facts
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on February 13, 2014
See all my travel articles