Shanghai World Financial Center
On a trip to Shanghai, a highlight is to visit is the Shanghai World Financial Center. It is the world's tenth tallest building, and the fifth tallest in Mainland China .
The 100th floor observation deck gives one of the best views of Shanghai.
- 492 meters tall (1,614 feet), 101 floors above ground and 3 floors below
- 100th floor observation deck
- Cost: 1.2 billion USD
- Built: 2007
Until 2014, it was the tallest building in Shanghai. There is a popular observation deck on the 100th floor at 1,555 feet for sightseeing and a Hyatt Regency luxury hotel.
On a visit, you can also see nearby the 88 story Jin Mao Tower and the Shanghai Tower that towers 400 feet higher than the Shanghai World Financial Center. These three buildings sit in a cluster next to the Pudong River in the Lujiazui financial district.
The Shanghai World Financial Center project was designed by the Kohn Pedersen Fox architectural firm, and the construction was managed by the Mori Building Corporation of Japan. Multinational corporations funded the project.
It actually took the developers 11 years to finish the building. It officially opened in 2008, and it was generally considered to be the best skyscraper that was built in the world in 2008.
Part of the reason for the delay was a controversy about the opening at the top of the building. In the original design, the opening was a circle. But people objected because it looked like a Japanese rising sun symbol over the city, so instead this trapezoid shape was built. This is how it got its nickname "The Bottle Opener."
There is a mall at ground level with fine restaurants, and you'll find bars and restaurants in the Hyatt Regency between floors 79 to 93.
There are three observation decks on floors 94, 97, and 100.
The 100th floor has a viewing gallery 55 meters long — the third highest observation deck in China, after the Canton Tower and Shenzhen IFC, and fourth highest in the world (the Burj Khalifa’s is highest) .
Riding the elevators might be a small thrill. They move people from the first floor to 95th floor in a minute with a speed of 10 meters per second
- See our private Shanghai tours for your way to discover the Shanghai World Financial Center.
- Observation deck prices: 94th floor is 110 RMB, 97th floor is 110 RMB, and 100th floor is 150 RMB. The ticket price to visit all three observation floors is 180 RMB.
- The 100th floor deck is recommended because there is a 55-meter-long viewing gallery with a sky walk made of glass where you can look down through the floor to the scenery below.
- The night lights and dusk sunset scenes are amazing, but in rainy and foggy weather you can see little.
- There may be an hour wait for the 100th floor observation deck, but you can see the view from the windows of the 91st floor for free in a relaxed fashion from the 100 Century Avenue Restaurant and Bar. Drinks are comparatively inexpensive (about 8 USD).
- Address: Shanghai WFC (上海环球金融中心), Financial Trading District Z4-1, Lujiazui, Pudong, Shanghai
- Subway transport: Subway Line 2 to Lujiazui Station. Take Exit 6 and walk about 10 minutes to the Shanghai WFC.
Discover Shanghai for Yourself
See Shanghai's modern wonders and classic ancient side.
- 5-Day Hangzhou, Wuzhen, and Shanghai Tour includes going to the Shanghai World Financial Center.
- See Shanghai's ostentatious skyline including the Shanghai WFC from the best vantage points on our Shanghai tours.
- Contact us to include going up the new building or to stay in the J-Hotel.