Top 8 Places to Visit in August in China
August is one of the hottest months in China and is also one of the busiest months for tourism because of school summer vacations (from mid-July to the end of August). Places with cooler weather and water activities are good choices for a trip in August.
Here we have listed the best 8 places to visit in August in China: Yunnan, Guilin, Qinghai Lake, Inner Mongolia, Guizhou, Tibet, Northern Sichuan, and Anji Bamboo Forest.
- 1. Yunnan Province — Escape the Heat
- 2. Guilin — Enjoy Cooling Summer Fun
- 3. Inner Mongolia — Vast Grasslands
- 4. Guizhou Province — Explore Chinese Minority Culture
1. Yunnan Province — Escape the Heat
Yunnan is an ideal destination for a summer trip in China. Owing to its 2,000-meter-altitude with abundant heat and light, Yunnan has a year-round spring-like climate. You will have a cool summer trip in Yunnan. The best cities to visit in Yunnan are Kunming, Dali, Lijiang, and Shangri-La.
Start from Kunming to see the spectacular Stone Forest, enjoy a relaxing tour along the lakeshore of Erhai in Dali, visit the Old Town of Lijiang, and take a cable car ride to Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. Finally, immerse yourself in the breathtaking natural beauty and holy religious atmosphere of Shangri-La by visiting Songzanlin Lamasery and Pudacuo National Park.
- 8-Day Kunming, Dali, Lijiang, and Shangri-La Tour
- 6-Day Shangri-La, Deqin and Tacheng Adventure Tour
- See more Yunnan tours for inspiration
2. Guilin — Enjoy Cooling Summer Fun
The picturesque countryside in Guilin and Yangshuo are good places to relax in the summer weather. Take a bamboo boat rafting along the Yulong River, and enjoy the lush and striking countryside passing by.
In summer, the scenery along the Li River is iridescent in the bright sun and the river breeze is soft when you are on the bamboo rafts. Take a bamboo raft along the Yulong River, and enjoy the lush and striking countryside passing by. Challenge yourself to an SUP(stand-up paddleboard, i.e. a mini raft) on the Yulong River and enjoy swimming in the cool water.
In the Longji Terraced Fields area, you can see green terraces filled with seedlings as you enjoy pleasant hikes on the higher and cooler mountainsides of Longsheng.
- 3-Day Guilin and Yangshuo Tour — The Essence of Guilin
- 4-Day Guilin Scenic Countryside Discovery — Guilin Scenic and Ethnic Discovery
- 5-Day Dynamic Guilin and Yangshuo Tour — Indulge in Summer Fun in the Karst Landscape
3. Inner Mongolia — Vast Grasslands
Inner Mongolia has vast grasslands where you can enjoy horse riding and trekking when the weather is comfortable. During the short and hot summers, the grass is the tallest.
Grasslands stretch as far as the eye can see. It has one of China's most beautiful and unusual natural areas. It was once the domain of the Mongol empires, and you can see Mongolian yurts in some places still.
- 5-Day Xilamuren Grassland and Kubuqi Desert Tour with Nomadic Life Experience
- 6-Day Huitengxile Grassland and Kubuqi Desert Tour with Hiking and Camping
4. Guizhou Province — Explore Chinese Minority Culture
Guizhou features ethnic culture and mountain scenery. If you are looking for a place with cool weather, especially one without huge summer crowds, then you may consider Guizhou.
You will discover places and diverse minority cultures that you've never heard of. Visit Mount Fanjing, which became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2018. It isn’t a trending place to visit now, so you can enjoy a quiet trip there. The cool weather and cloud-wrapped Mushroom Rock will not disappoint you.
Guizhou has the second highest number of minority groups next to Yunnan Province. Tujia, Miao, and many others make Guizhou an important place for ethnic culture. You can learn disappearing traditional crafts, such as making paper by using vegetable fiber, batiking and silver-ornament-making.
- See our recommended Guizhou tours for inspiration.
5. Tibet — Refreshing Landscapes and Culture
Tibet is one of the best places to escape the heat in China. Though August is the rainy season in Tibet, rain typically comes in showers at night or for about an hour in the afternoon. So, rain is not a big issue even in the rainy season.
In summer, the air has a higher oxygen content than in other seasons. August is best for experiencing Tibetan festivals, as it’s when the Shoton Festival, Nagqu Horse Racing Festival, and Ganden Thangka Festival are held.
August is also a best time for a Mount Kailash yatra and kora.
- 14-Day Tibet Tour including Mt. Kailash and Lake Manasarovar
- 5-Day Tibet Tour including Lhasa Highlights and Lake Yamdrok
- 7-Day Tibet Tour including Trekking and Camping
- More Tibet tours
6. Qinghai Lake — Nature and Tibetan Culture
Qinghai Lake is China's largest, and it is often deep blue, high in the old Tibetan homeland of Qinghai Province. You can appreciate Tibetan culture and food while you walk and bike in the towns in the area. It is not very hot in August. Some people stop at the lake on their way to or from Tibet. Bird Island, an animal sanctuary, is a highlight.
Recommended tour: 8-Day Qinghai Lake, Zhangye, and Dunhuang Tour
7. Northern Sichuan — Cool with Tibetan Landscapes
Northern Sichuan is a great option to escape the crowds and heat in summer. In northern Sichuan, you'll find the source of the Yellow River, the ancient battlefield of King Gesar as told about in the Tibetan legend, and less touristy monasteries.
You can also extend your tour to Jiuzhaigou, which now is open to visit. The cool mountain weather and green lakes are definitely good choice for a summer vacation.
- 5-Day Northern Sichuan Tour
- 3-Day Jiuzhaigou and Huanglong Highlights Tour
- 6-Day Essential Chengdu and In-Depth Jiuzhaigou Tour
- 7-Day Chengdu, Mount Emei and Jiuzhaigou Scenic Tour
8. Anji Bamboo Forest — Enjoy Summer’s Fun Activities
Anji Bamboo Forest is the largest bamboo forest in East China. It is about 3 hours’ drive from Shanghai.
In summer, it provides various cool and exciting activities for both adults and kids. You can raft down a clear stream in the valley, try cliff swinging, walk on a glass skywalk, and see pandas in the Bamboo Garden.
Recommended tour: 2-Day Weekend Getaway to Anji Bamboo Forest
Tour China with Us
All our tours can be customized. If you are not interested in the above destinations or tours, you can contact us to tailor-make a summer tour for you. It is important to us that you feel comfortable and safe during your visit and we will respect any requests or decisions you make regarding your travels.