Name: Chongqing (重庆; Chóngqìng (/chong-ching/)
Meaning: "repeated celebration"
Previous names: Jiang, Yu, Gong
- One of the biggest municipalities in the world
- Big inland port on the Yangtze River above the Three Gorges Dam
- Heavy industry center that utilizes the power from the Three Gorges Dam
- Yangtze River cruises
- Three Gorges, Dazu Grottoes, Wulong Karst Region, Ciqikou Old Town, Fengdu Ghost City, Lesser Three Gorges, Zigong Dinosaur Museum, Three Gorges Museum
- Most popular souvenirs and local products: Shu embroidery (Sichuan style embroidery), Jiangjin Rice Confection, Fuling Pickles
- Most popular food: Red chili hot pot
- 316 BC The Qin Empire conquered the area.
- 1891 The city was opened to foreigners.
- 1997 The government merged Chongqing with several surrounding districts and made Chongqing a very large municipality. The Three Gorges Dam opened.
The city sits at the confluence of the Jialing River and Yangtze River. The rivers made it China's biggest port city in the southwestern region.
- Significance of city: It is an inland port city far inland, and access to cheap power and cheap labor makes the city a leader in heavy industry.
- Nearby cities: Chengdu (268 km/166 mi), Guiyang (306 km/190 mi), Zunyi (192 km/119 mi)
- Municipality terrain: the city sits on many hills on the Sichuan plain at the confluence of the Jialing River and Yangtze River.
- Average altitude: 237 meters (778 feet)
- Main rivers: Yangtze River, Jialing River
- Municipality Location: 28 °10'N to 32 °13'N, 105 °17'E to 110 °11'E; southwestern China
- City location: 29.33N, 106.34E
- Municipality Population: 28,846,170
- Municipality Area: 82,401 sq km (31,815 sq mi)
- Average highest temperature in August: 34 °C (93 °F)
- Average lowest temperature in January: 6 °C (42 °F)
- Monsoon-influenced humid subtropical climate; annual precipitation: 1,140 mm (45 in). The city is known for hot and humid summers and smog.
- Average annual income: 23,909 RMB (3,554 USD)
- Development: developing; the government plans to make Chongqing and Chengdu develop quickly.
- Industry: 37.9% tertiary industry (services), 52.8% secondary (heavy industry: mainly automobiles, steel, aluminium and military equipment), 9.3% primary (agriculture, mining)
- CBD: Central Park (31.31N, 120.66E) in the Suzhou CBD
- Shopping streets: Jiefangbei Pedestrian Street, Shapingba Three Gorges Walking Street, Guanyinqiao Walking Street
- Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport serves about 16 million passengers annually.
- 3 line metro system (a fourth line is scheduled to be opened in 2012)
- 5 regular railroad lines pass through the city.
- 1 ring road expressway
- Yangtze River cruises to Wuhan or Shanghai are popular for sightseeing.
Questions and Answers About Chongqing Facts
- Send your inquiry before Apr. 30, 2014, and we will email you a $25 coupon.
- The coupon is valid till Dec. 31, 2014, for paying tour packages worth $250 or up.
- The coupon cannot be used for paying flight tickets, train tickets, hotel rooms and day trips.
I updated this article on November 7, 2013
See all my travel articles