This is the most popular attraction in Yixing, and it is worth a drive out from Shanghai and other big cities. It is called the "Sea of Bamboo" because of the large area of the bamboo groves. It is said to be the biggest bamboo forest in China, and for many tourists who go, it is their favorite natural spot in China.
Xingzhuang Village is situated there, and it can be your starting point for exploration and sightseeing. The area has winding roads and gurgling streams. If you take a bird's-eye view, green waves dance with the wind, rising and falling. When the wind blows, you can hear the unusual creaking sound of the wind through the bamboo leaves.
- Chinese: 竹海 Zhúhǎi /joo-heye/ 'Bamboo Sea'
- Special distinction: People say it is the best bamboo grove in eastern China. Clean and unpolluted.
- Area: 120 square kilometers (46 square miles)
- Location: It is 50 kilometers (about 31 miles) southwest of Yixing. Yixing is a part of Wuxi in Jiangsu Province. It is only about 110 kilometers (70 miles) from the outskirts of Shanghai.
- Activities: hiking, sightseeing, recreation, luxury resort
- Suitable for visitors who want a change to clean air and nature. It is a good hiking area, and the countryside food and tea is good.
Sea of Bamboo Park Highlights
The Sea of Bamboo consists of the gate and service area, the Jinghu area, the Jade Promenade Area, the Waterfall Area, the bamboo groves themselves, an ancient temple, and tea plantations.
- The mountain in the park is the main sightseeing vantage point to see the bamboo sea scenery and the rippling waves of bamboo. It is a striking phenomenon when first seen. The hike to the top is good.
- Cable car ride: Instead of hiking to the top, you can take the cable car for which there is a separate charge. It takes you half way to the top, then you have to hike up.
- Fresh air: The bamboo itself mustF purify the air since it is unusually fresh.
- Uncrowded on weekdays: Crowding in Chinese parks is the norm, but during the weekdays, it is uncrowded.
- Tea farms: The tea farms inside are also beautiful.
Tourist Essentials and Tips
- Ticket: For entrance adult ticket, 80元 (RMB) or 12.30 USD; for children 1.1 meters to 1.4 meters, 55元.
- Opening Time: 8 am to 4:30 pm in winter; 8 am to 5:30 pm other times.
- To avoid the crowds: Avoid weekends and holidays. Hiking and sightseeing in the area is best done when it is quiet.
- Recommended duration: a few hours or days depending on what you want to do in the park. The hotels and private guest houses make an extended stay inviting.
- Luxury hotel: About 200 meters from the gate of the park, there is a luxury hotel with good food that can be your base for exploring the area.
Transport to Yixing and the Sea of Bamboo
Flight: The Shuofang Airport is a domestic airport in Wuxi.
Bus from Wuxi to Yixing: Though Yixing is a part of the metropolitan area of Wuxi, it is actually far from it on the outskirts. A bus from Wuxi to the Yixing metro area costs 23 RMB and takes 90 minutes.
Drive to the Sea of Bamboo from Shanghai: It is under 3 hours by road from Shanghai.
Local tourist bus: You can take Tourist Bus 1 from Yixing Bus Station for 7 RMB (a little more than 1 USD).
Local sightseeing buses in park: In the Sea of Bamboo Park, the sightseeing bus ticket is 5 RMB.
Private Driver - free of hassles, more flexibility
The best way to go to the bamboo forest is with a private driver. We provide hassle free and individualized help for our customers.
- In Yixing, the Ceramics Museum is an option.
- In the outskirts, the Shanjuan Cave is the second most popular attraction in Yixing according to TripAdvisor in 2016. It is north of the bamboo forest and in the same region. It is quite a contrast with the endless open air vistas of the park.
Touring Popular Places with China Highlights
Wuxi is only 2 and a half hours from Shanghai, and less than an about forty or fifty minutes by bullet train. You can combine seeing the Yixing area with the Shanghai area or neighboring attractions.
- Our 3-Day Shanghai Essence Tour can be modified for visiting Yixing.
- Our 8-Day GOLDEN TRIANGLE Tour - the classic first-timers' tour of Beijing, Xi'an and Shanghai can include Yixing too.
You may want to check out our Natural Scenery Tours and China Hiking Tours.
We can arrange private transport from/to your hotel or the station or airport. You can plan your own Wuxi/Yixing experience with our help and tailor make your tour>>