Yixing Ceramics Museum
For centuries, the small region of Yixing has produced a famed type of ceramics ware, and you can see and learn about it at this museum.
While at the museum, you can learn about the clay in the area that is used to make stoneware. The stoneware is not as fine or precious as porcelain made from kaolin clay, but it is useful for making durable teapots and other objects. The clay helped make Yixing a ceramics making center of the dynastic eras.
- Chinese: 宜兴 陶瓷 博物馆 Yíxīng Táocí Bówùguǎn /ee-sshing taoww-tsrr bor-woo-gwann/
- Special distinction: fine quality museum, 8,000 articles, and some masterpiece antiques
- Total area: 20,000 square meters (4 football pitches). The exhibition area measures 3,000 square meters (7 basketball courts).
- Location: It is 15 kilometers (about 9 miles) southwest of Yixing in Wuxi, Jiangsu Province. It is only about 110 kilometers (70 miles) from the outskirts of Shanghai.
- Activities: learning about ceramics, buying ceramics
- Suitable for: Visitors who appreciate ceramics or teaware.
Ceramics Museum Highlights
The museum is actually a center for manufacturing and researching about ceramics. But most tourists will appreciate the exhibits and the shopping. There are 13 halls including the Ancient Ceramics Hall, the Masterpiece Hall, and the Zisha Hall.
Antiques: Some of the antiques are listed as Chinese precious heritage and are of great research and historical importance. The centuries-old culture of ceramic art in Yixing is demonstrated by the display of ceramics of different periods from the stone age to modern times.
The Ancient Ceramics Hall exhibits all kinds of ceramics from the period from the Han Dynasty (206 BC – 220 AD) to the Qing Dynasty (1644–1911). There is celadon of the Jin Dynasty (265–420) and Zishan Pottery of the Song Dynasty (960–1279. The most famous piece called He Yi Hui Wen Ping is one of the grade one cultural relics of China.
Ten ceramic workrooms: Every year, a group of professional and creative designers such Lu Yaochen who is considered a Master of Chinese Art exhibit their masterpieces here.
Tourist Essentials and Tips
- Entry: adult ticket 20 yuan
- Open: 8am–5pm
- To avoid the crowds avoid weekends and holidays.
- Recommended visit: half an hour to a few hours depending on your interest.
- Shopping: The museum has a store where you can buy tea sets. Nearby is also a shopping area for bargains.
- Address: 50 Dingshan North road, Dingshu
Transport to Yixing and the Sea of Bamboo
Flight: The Shuofang Airport is a domestic airport in Wuxi.
Bus from Wuxi to Yixing: Though Yixing is a part of the metropolitan area of Wuxi, it is actually far from it on the outskirts. A bus from Wuxi to the Yixing metro area costs 23 yuan and takes 90 minutes.
Local tourist bus 1 (5 yuan) will take you from Yixing Bus Station to the ceramics museum.
Yixing is known for four main things: its giant bamboo forest, its big caves, its academic achievement, and it ceramics.
In the outskirts, the Shanjuan Cave is the second most popular attraction in Yixing according to TripAdvisor in 2016. It is north of the bamboo forest park called the Sea of Bamboo that is Yixing's main attraction and in the same region as the caves. The endless open air vistas of the park are quite a contrast with the caves.
We can help arrange a visit to Yixing that includes trips to Shanghai such as to the Shanghai Museum.
- Shanghai's attractions can be combined with touring Yixing.
Our Tours Give You Options for Discovering Places Like Yixing
We can help arrange a visit to Yixing that includes trips to Shanghai such as to the Shanghai Museum. Shanghai is only 2 and a half hours away by car, and bullet trains can arrive in half an hour.
- Our 3-Day Shanghai Essence Tour is a tour around Shanghai, but we can extend or modify it to include this attraction and others in Yixing.
- Check out our Natural Scenery Tours and China Hiking Tours.
Private Driver - hassle-free, more flexibility
The best way to go to travel around Yixing is with a private driver. We provide hassle free and individualized help for our customers.
We can arrange private transport from/to your hotel or the station or airport. You can plan your own Wuxi/Yixing experience with our help and tailor make your tour.