This is one the most popular caves in Yixing according to TripAdvisor in 2016. Tourists like it because it is big, and they can walk through 72 caverns. Many tourists like the bright colorful lights.
- Chinese: 张公洞 Zhānɡgōnɡ Dòng /jaang-gong dong/ 'Zhang [surname] Public (or Father-in-Law) Cave'
- Special distinction: The second biggest cave at Yixing. The second most popular of the three sightseeing caves in the area.
- Area: 3,200 square meters (about the size of a football pitch)
- Location: 22 kilometers (13 miles) from Yixing in Wuxi, Jiangsu Province. It is only about 110 km (70 miles) from the outskirts of Shanghai.
- Activities: cave sightseeing
- Suitable for: Visitors who want another cave to see after seeing the more popular Shanjuan Cave in Yixing. It is suitable if you are in the region.
Cave Park Highlights
The brightly lit cave has some cave rafting as does Shanjuan. There is a small temple in front. There is also a ceramics demonstration.
Reportedly, there are 72 small caverns, and the temperature in each cave is different. The first cave is known as 'Sea House', and it is full of fantastic rocks, stone pillars, stone sheets and stone flowers. After that is the Sea King Pillar that is also the center of the Zhanggong cave system. Besides these, there are Tunnel Cave, Qiqiao Cave, Chess Board Cave, and the Light Cave.
Walk in the park: If you wish, you can walk up to the top of the hill where you can see the countryside scenery round about.
Tourist Essentials and Tips
- Ticket: yuan 35 (5.25 USD) per person, including some cave rafting and a water rafting course
- Open: 7am–5pm
- To avoid the crowds avoid weekends and holidays: hiking and sightseeing in the area is best done when it is quiet.
- Recommended duration: an hour or a few hours depending on what you want to do in the park.
Transport to Yixing and the Cave
Transport to Yixing: Though Yixing is a part of the metropolitan area of Wuxi, it is actually far from it on the outskirts. A bus from Wuxi costs 23 yuan and takes 90 minutes.
Flight: Shuofang Airport is a domestic airport in Wuxi. .
Local bus or shuttle: Tourists can take the shuttle bus from the west parking lot in Wuxi Train Station. The price is 10 yuan or (1.50 USD) per person, and it takes one hour to get to Zhanggong Cave. You can also take tourist bus 1 to reach Zhanggong Cave from Yixing Bus Station.
Nearby Attractions in Yixing
The nearby Shanjuan Cave Scenic Area is a bigger and much more popular cave to go to. The Shanjuan Cave is on Luyan Mountain. On the mountain, several other attractions are under renovation or construction such as Yuantong Chamber, Baidou Terrace and Xiyu Pavilion. A traveler can take a 400-meter-long cable car to reach the attractions.
Touring Popular Places with China Highlights
Wuxi is only 2½ hours from Shanghai, and it is less than 50 minutes away by bullet train, though you'll need transport from the train station to the cave.
You can combine seeing the Yixing area with the Shanghai area or neighboring attractions.
- Our 3-Day Shanghai Essence Tour - can be modified for visiting Yixing
- Our 8-Day GOLDEN TRIANGLE Tour - the classic first-timers' tour of Beijing, Xi'an and Shanghai can include Yixing too.
Private Tour and Transport - free of hassles, more flexibility
The best way to go to the caves is with a private driver. We are known for providing hassle-free and individualized help for our customers.