The beautiful harbor city of Xiamen, known to the West as Amoy, is characterized by a charming waterfront district, special colonial mansions, a pleasant and mild climate, a clean environment, and its characteristic food.
From Xiamen, you can explore the World Heritage Site of the Fujian Tulou to find Mulan's "hometown", head northeast to Wuyi Mountain to see the beautiful Danxia landform and learn about ancient Fujian culture, or go north to Xiapu Mudflat to have an incredible photography trip.
No matter whether you would like to have a relaxing weekend in Xiamen or if you would prefer to go beyond the normal sightseeing to have an in-depth trip to trace the origins of the Hakka or Minnan cultures, we can tailor-make your trip according to your interests and requirements.
Most Popular Tours in Xiamen and the Surrounding Areas
These are some suggested itineraries for touring Xiamen as well as multi-destination tours including Xiamen.
- Find the truth behind what American eyes thought was a "missile weapon base".
- Visit the oldest earthen building in Nanjing.
- Walk in Mulan's "hometown" — the Fujian Tulou.
- Explore the Garden City of Xiamen.
- Visit the World Cultural Heritage earthen building site.
- Discover the less-visited tulou which is Mulan's "home"
- Refresh your mind and body in the mountains.
- Take a bamboo raft to float down the picturesque Nine Twists Stream.
- Appreciate celebrated tea plantations, and sip the renowned local tea.
- Have a relaxing afternoon on Gulangyu Island.
- Spend one night in tulou and experience working as a tea farmer.
- Discover the earthen buildings of different styles in Hongkeng Tulou Cluster.
- Witness an oceangoing vessel of the Song Dynasty.
- Explore an Exclusive Tea Farm and Taste the Best Oolong Tea .
- Have a Bite of Quanzhou — a True Taste of Minnan (Southern Fujian).
- Enjoy the beauties of the Garden City, Xiamen.
- Discover the traditional Chinese communal residences called the Fujian Tulou.
- Hike on Wuyi Mountain and see the beautiful Danxia landform.
- Explore one of the most beautiful cities in China.
- Discover the most outstanding architecture in Fujian Province.
- Shoot the intriguing Xiapu Mudflat at sunrise and sunset.
What Our Customers Said
GREAT Forbidden City tour!
We took a guided tour with Ivy through the Forbidden City. She had everything perfectly organised, knew all the amenities and explained the most important facts around history and design of the palace in an enticing manner. Can absolutely recommend her as a guide, we had a great day!more
Oct 2022, Adam A
Beautiful Day at Great Wall in Mutianyu
We had a wonderful day visiting the Great Wall together with our guide, Ivy. The organisation - from the pick up to the return - was excellent, we had nothing to worry about. So It was a lovely and relaxed day profiting from the experience to the fullest without having to trouble about transport or tickets. Ivy explained well the history and knew about all nice parts of the part of the wall that we visited. She is very nice company. We had a very good experience.more
Oct 2022, Nina
Excellent time in Beijing
Ivy was a true professional who spoke excellent English and engaged us with stories of the very rich Chinese cultural heritage and history. We went away with so much more knowledge with her as our guide giving us a live commentary as we walked around. She brought us to the off the beaten track spots, less crowded corners of the attractions and very importantly, knew which toilets were clean and more foreigner friendly. Highly recommend Ivy to any future visitors to Beijinmore
Oct 2022, JCCEBJ
Our travel planner Monica is kind, very attentive, and there is no pressure or "hard sale". Great service and highly recommended!more
Sep 2022, Julia
A great tour
Our trip to Beijing was brilliantly organised and stress free. As usual with China Highlights our guide Ivy was really well prepared, knowledgeable and dealt with all the security, covid checks and tests etc. It made the trip really easy.more
Aug 2022, Peter F
Trip to Beijing
I spent a couple of excellent days in Beijing thank to this agency and my private guide Ivy! An adorable journey, I swear! If you want to immerse yourself in the atmosphere of historical Beijing, here’s the place to address! I can’t recommend it enough. Ivy was just adorable, she woke up my curiosity with her methods of leading me through the historical time line by challenging my imagination and rationality at the same time. All the facts were given in the context which I especially appreciate, she had the answers to all of my questions, and moreover she knew what made me ask them! The service was 10/10. The driver and the guide were both very patient, resourceful and attentive to their clients problems and little suggestions. It literally took them 1 day to organize everything for me as I decided to go to Beijing at the very last moment; every single member of the China highlights team was attentive to my needs and wishes.more
Aug 2022, Take_the_money
Trip to Beijing
Zac is helpful and very professional。more
Aug 2022, Take_the_money
Successful Trip to Beijing from Shanghai Shortly after Lockdown
As always, Monica has helped us with all the travel arrangements, planned our trip and followed up with us during the whole travel. It was challenging coming from Shanghai to Beijing shortly after the massive lockdown so we appreciated this attention a lot. It was too hot, so first day in the Forbidden City was a challenge but Ivy was helping us find as much shade as possible. We also visited Mutianyu Great Wall section, Temple of Heaven, Universal Studios, Summer Palace, Olympic Site and went on Hutong tour. Even though it might seem a lot, our small children managed well and loved everything about this trip. Ivy was very flexible with the length of explanations and rerouting our travel depending on temperate and tiredness. Overall, it was a success and we will for sure travel again with China Highlights.more
Jul 2022, ondrej1980
Common Questions Travelers Ask Us
You can stay in an original tulou and experience the simple Hakka atmosphere and hospitality of the Hakka people. We have arranged an overnight stay in an original tulou during our 3-Day Essence of Xiamen and In-Depth Tulou Tour for you to enjoy the Hakka atmosphere. Spending one night in a tulou village is a good idea to avoid the tourist crowds. The villages are quiet and more authentic before the tourists arrive in the morning and after they leave in the afternoon.
- Nanjing Qingdelou Inn (original tulou hotel)
- Tsingpu Tulou Retreat (boutique hotel in a restored tulou)