Taipei 101 Building
Name: Taiwan ( 臺灣; tái wān /tie-wann/)
Meaning: "platform gulf" or "terraced bay"
Other names: Republic of China (ROC), Formosa, Ilha Formosa (Beautiful Isle in Portuguese)
- Modern cities and very high forested mountains
- Hi-tech companies
- Taiwanese ethnic culture
- One of the most densely populated countries in the world
Most Popular Attractions
- Cities: Taipei City (modern urban center), Taicheng (ancient architecture and sites)
- Natural: Taroko Gorge, Alishan, Kenting National Park, Shei-pa National Park, Yangmingshan National Park, Yushan Mountain (highest point in East Asia)
- Most popular souvenirs and local products: electronics, local fruit and seafood
- Most popular food: Taiwanese beef noodles (niúròu miàn), aiyu (àiyù) jelly, Taiwanese oranges (lidīng), Taiwanese porridge (zhōu)
- 1624-1662 The Dutch Empire subjugated the aboriginal territory.
- 1862 Koxinga and his army from the mainland defeated the Dutch and took over the territory.
- 1895 The Qing Empire seceded Taiwan to Japan.
- 1945 The Nationalist ROC party took over the government.
- 1948-1950 Millions of mainland Chinese fled to the territory.
- 1991 Taiwan held its first election for the legislature.
- 1996 The first presidential election was held, and Taiwan became a democracy.
- Capital city: Taipei
- Tourism: spectacular scenery and hiking, shopping for high-end electronics, Chinese and Taiwanese culture, museums for ancient artifacts from the mainland.
- Significance: Taiwan has an advanced service and industrial economy and is the first Chinese democratic land. Taiwanese companies lead in some sectors of electronics manufacturing.
- Adjacent provinces and territories: the island is across from Fujian Province and adjacent to Japan.
- Formosa: Taiwan's main island is Formosa, 394 kilometers long and 144 kilometers wide
- Terrain: The island has a high mountain chain with flat coastal strips to the east and west of it.
- Highest Elevation: Yushan Mountain, 3,952 m (12,996 ft)
- Province location: in the East China Sea
- Population: (2011) 23,000,000
- Area: 36,008 sq km (13,902.8 sq mi)
- Population density: 668/sq km (1,730/sq mi)
Spring in Ali Mountain
- Average annual low temperature in January: 12.8 °C (55 °F)
- Average annual high temperature in August: 30 °C(86 °F)
- Marine tropical climate with monsoons; annual precipitation: 2,500 mm (98 in) Most of the island has a warm, wet and comfortable climate, and there are occasional typhoons. Some of the mountains have an alpine climate.
- Average annual income: 556,740 Taiwan dollars (18,558 USD)
- Development: highly advanced economy. Taiwan has the world's fifth largest foreign reserves, is considered to be the 20th richest state, and is an electronics and optronics technology leader.
- Industry: 70% tertiary industry (services, financial services), 28% secondary (electronics, light industry), 2% primary (mining, agriculture, fishing industry)
- Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport served 25 million people in 2010.
- 4 international airports
- 1 bullet train line connects most of the urban area
Planning a trip? Ask us here 800-2682918 (USA & CA)
Q: Dan Asked on 2012-11-13 Reply
Hi,We''re travelling to Taiwan (family of four + toddler) for 10 days and would like to know how much spending money to bring along, assuming we''ll eat at inexpensive venues and expect little shopping. Hotels and most transportation have been pre-paid, except for taxis.In Taiwan New Dollar please.RegardsDanSingapore
Hi, Don’t take too much cash with you. Around 10,000 Taiwan New Dollar is enough, as there are banks in major towns around Taiwan. Remember to bring bank cards with you. Annie Wu Replied on 2012-11-14
Q: zoey sen Asked on 2012-11-02 Reply
What are the things for sale at 101 Building ? Are the goods sold of high quality and branded or just normal pricing ? If I need a jacket or windbreaker, can I buy one over there
Dear Sir or Madam, You could buy the clothes and cosmetics there on 1F,2F,3F, which come from many countries. They are famous branded products.You could search the clothes you need. On 4F, there are some kinds of restaurants. You could have some different delicious food there. Lussie Lu Replied on 2012-11-04