Home China Trains
China Train Ticket Booking Policy
China Train Ticket Booking Policy
Please read the following booking policies carefully. Placing a booking implies that you have read our policies and accepted them.
- Please make sure the passengers’ information you fill in on your booking form is exactly the same as that on their passports, with the same order, no abbreviations of passengers’ names, no changes, and no typos. See the sample (+)
- Any difference in names or passport numbers will result in inability to collect paper tickets at the station. In this case, new tickets will have to be bought, because China Railway doesn’t accept name or passport number changes after tickets are issued. China Highlights will not be responsible for any loss caused by incorrectly-completed information.
- After you submit your booking and pay online, our travel advisor will respond to you within 12 working hours. No contract between China Highlights and the purchaser will come into effect until China Highlights issues a formal confirmation by email.
- According to China Railway’s policy, reservations open 30 days in advance if booking on its official website, and 28 days in advance if booking offline at a ticket office. Tickets on certain trains can be purchased only 20 days (or even a shorter period of time) before departure.
- China Railway's booking system closes from 23:00 to 06:00, Beijing time. This means train tickets can only be booked/changed/canceled from 06:00 to 23:00, Beijing time.
- The ticket price includes net ticket price, service fee, transaction fee (which is charged by a third party), and delivery fee (if delivery is required).
- Our quotation is based on the current exchange rate between US Dollars and Chinese Yuan when you place the order on our website.
- For sleeper trains, there are slight price differences between upper, middle and lower berths (there are only upper and lower berths in soft sleeper and superior soft sleeper compartments). At the moment, our system cannot quote accurate prices for different berths.
So for simplicity our sleeper train ticket price is based on the lower berth price. As sleeper berths are randomly allocated, we don’t know what kind of berth you will get until after your ticket is issued. If you don’t get a lower berth, the price difference will not be refunded.
- A child’s ticket price is half that of an adult ticket, except for sleeper tickets, which are 75% of the adult ticket price.
- Children’s fares for D-category overnight bullet trains are the same as adult ticket fares.
- Children younger than 12 years of age and not taller than 1.2 m (3.9 feet) can travel for free, but without their own seat or berth. A child ticket is needed if a seat or berth is required.
One adult can bring only one child (under 1.2 m) for free. If there is only one adult and more than one child, the other children need to buy children’s tickets.
- Children younger than 12 years of age and not taller than 1.5 m (4.9 feet) are eligible for children’s tickets.
- Children more than 12 years old or more than 1.5 m (4.9 feet) tall need to buy adult tickets at the full fare.
- China Highlights requires payment to be made by one of the passengers. If the purchaser is not a passenger, we’ll require other documentation to confirm the payment.
- If we are unable to supply the required tickets, full payments are 100% refundable.
- Paper tickets are required when boarding the train.
- After your tickets are issued, China Highlights will email you detailed information about the tickets along with bilingual instructions, on how to collect the tickets at the train station and so on.
- Passports used for booking train tickets should be the same as those used for collecting the tickets and boarding the train, otherwise you won’t be able to collect your tickets or board the train.
- Tickets can be sent to your hotel or other specified address. China Highlights only uses China’s best Express Company, which is safer and faster for our customers.
- Please note that some hotels might refuse to receive or to keep express mail for guests, especially if guests’ reservations are under the wrong name.
- China Highlights will not be responsible for non-receipt of tickets caused by wrong delivery addresses, incorrect or missing names of recipients, or unconfirmed check-in dates. Any consequent loss will be the customer's responsibility.
- Special note: for those who need a ticket delivery service: there are literally millions of ticket clerks in China. They were trained and work with China Railway and yet sometimes they issue tickets in different ways.
If you find your tickets are issued in one of these following conditions, you will have absolutely no need to worry or cancel your tickets: names not spelled in full; no space between given name and family name; the last numbers from your passport number are marked with *; your given name and family name are in reverse-order (see the illustration below). Such paper tickets are accepted by China Railway and you will be able to board the train without any trouble.
Example: Passport numbers are marked with *
Hong Kong High-Speed Train Ticket Booking Policy
Due to the difference of China Railway and Hong Kong Railway ticketing systems, high-speed trains to and from Hong Kong will have different ticket change/cancellation policies:
International Train Booking Policy
Ordinary trains to and from Hong Kong, including Guangzhou – Hong Kong Through Train and overnight trains to Beijing and Shanghai, are regarded as international trains.
- Unlike China’s domestic train tickets, international train tickets can only be bought off-line. We cannot check train ticket availability online, but have to check availability and purchase tickets at an appointed train station.
- Your tickets will not be confirmed until a confirmation letter, indicating successful ticket purchase, is sent to you. Your money will be fully refunded if we cannot obtain your tickets.
Changes and Cancellations
- Before international tickets are issued, it will be free of charge to change or cancel.
- After tickets are issued, according to China Railway’s policies, a change or cancellation can only be made at the designated international ticket office by passengers themselves using their original passports.
- Issuing of tickets is under the total control of China Railway. China Highlights will do its best to buy your train tickets, but can’t make 100% guarantees of purchase.
- Seat allocation is controlled by China Railway. You can select your preferred seats. China Highlights will do its best to book the seats you requested, but we can’t guarantee it, especially when there are only a limited number of tickets available. For structural reasons, some of the window seats don’t have window views. China Highlights will bear no responsibility for the final seat allocation.
- China Highlights will bear no responsibility regarding failure to obtain tickets in the following uncontrollable situations:
a. Due to railroad or station construction or operational deployment, or interim adjustment of train cars and seats, or when no prior notice is given regarding seat rearrangements or price differences.
b.Due to dysfunction or instability caused by system upgrade at China Railway, travelers cannot collect tickets at ticket window after booking successfully online with China Highlights.(Suggestion:try at another window or contact us immediately.)
c.Certain train routes are cancelled without any prior notice.
China Highlights pays great attention to protecting your personal information and privacy. In order to provide a better service, we collect personal information with your consent, including names, ID document numbers, telephone numbers, email addresses, addresses in China, and other travel information.
We will not disclose such personal information to any third party. You have the right to require us at any time to delete your personal information.