The food industry in Qingdao has a long and distinguished history as shown by the household names of Tsingtao Beer, peanut oil and crab stick, to name just a few. The mineral water of Laoshan Mountain is high-quality raw material used for brewing and for such beverages as Coke, carbonated drinks, and table-water.
The Catering industry features sea food such as sea cucumber, scallop, abalone, whelk, prawn and fish, as well as the farm produce like dried vegetables and mushrooms grown on Laoshan Mountain.
Heavy and salty flavors are typical of Shandong Cuisine which is the one of the famous food style of China, The other gourmet styles such as Cantonese, Sichuan, Shanghai and northeast China are equally available in Qingdao and work well with the abundant seafood. Spring and summer are the best seasons to enjoy the seafood especially when it goes with Tsingtao Beer and Laoshan Mineral Water.
When you have had your fill up with the delicacies at hotels and restaurants, try the food streets where you will be thrilled by the various flavors from throughout the country.
Top 10 Local Delicacies
- Xiaohonglou Guantangbao: Small steamed bun with stuff in soup inside from Xiao Honglou Restaurant
- Sanxian Zhengjiao: Steamed dumplings stuffed with shredded shrimp, pork and Chinese leek
- Tianfu Yuanxiao: Sweet dumplings from Tianfu Restaurant
- Changcheng Sanxian Shuijiao: Boiled dumplings stuffed with minced pork, shrimp and Chinese leek from Great Wall Restaurant
- Guxiangcun Paigu Mian: Noodles with spare-rins from Guxiangcun Restaurant
- Qingdao Dabao: Qingdao Stuffed bun
- Qingdao Guotie: Qingdao pot stickers
- Daxia Shaomai: Steamed shrimp dumpling
- Haixian huntun: Seafood wonton
- Paigu Shaguo Mifan: Pork ribs in clay pot and rice
Top 10 Seafood Snacks
- Yingzhou Bayu Xiaochi: Spanish mackerel cooked in Yingzhou Style
- Qingzheng Hongdao Hailizi: Steamed Hongdao Oyster
- Meige Liangfen: Meige bean jelly
- Guxiangcun Daxia Mian: Shrimp noodles from Guxiangcun Restaurant
- Yingzhou Geli Taocan: Yingzhou set meal with clams
- Meida'er Kao Youyu: Merda'er barbecued squid
- Dachuan Guangyu Taocan: Set meal with yarrella
- Shaguo Quanyu: Whole fish in a clay pot
- Baoyu Haixian Feicui Mian: Spinach noodles with abalone and other seafood
- Cangcheng Haixian Lubao: Pan-fried buns stuffed with seafood from the Great Wall Restaurant