Shanghai Maglev Train (Shanghai Maglev Demonstration Line) is the first commercial maglev line in the world. The line runs between Longyang Road Station on the Shanghai Subway Line 2, to Pudong International Airport, and the journey takes no more than 8 minutes to complete the distance of 30 km (19 miles). It can reach up to 431 km/hr (268 mph) during the journey. In 2003, it was enrolled by Guinness Records to be the fastest train in the world in commercial use.
- Chinese: 上海磁浮列车 Shànghǎi Cífú Lièchē /shung-heye tsrr-foo lyeah-cher/
- Speed: record test speed: 501 kph (311 mph); commercial max. speed: 431 kph (268 mph); average speed: 230 kph (143 mph)
- Route: east to Longyang Road (Shanghai Subway Line 2), west to Shanghai Pudong International Airport
- Distance: 30 km (19 mi)
- Duration: within 8 minutes
Main Features of Shanghai Maglev Trains
Shanghai Maglev trains don't have wheels: They use magnetic levitation technology to move without touching the ground.
Environmentally friendly: There is no waste gas produced.
Lower energy consumption than airplanes: The energy consumption is only half that of buses and a quarter that used by airplanes.
Less noise: The trains don't touch the railway line, which makes the sound quieter than other trains. And even when they speed up to 300 kph, the decibel levels are only about 65 to people situated 50 meters away from the train.
Run smoothly: Due to the magnetic levitation technology, there are no wheels touching the railway line. Therefore, the Maglev trains run more smoothly and quieter than trains with wheels.
Facilities on Maglev Trains
Inside the train, it is very modern, clean and comfortable, much like that in an airplane. Trained attendants are present. There is enough sitting space, since there are only 2 or 3 seats in a row. Air-conditioning is available and passengers can adjust the temperature by themselves. There is an LCD screen indicating the current running speed of the train. Many passengers pay close attention and some even take a picture, when the number of “431” appears on the screen.
Timetable and Ticket Price of Shanghai Maglev Trains
|From Longyang Road Station||First Train||06:45|
|From Shanghai Pudong International Airport||First Train||07:02|
|2 Extra Trains||22:15||-|
- The train’s doors close 1 minute before its departure.
- The last train stop’s check-in is 5 minutes before departure.
|Seat Classes||Ordinary Seat Class||VIP Seat Class|
|Single trip ticket (valid on the date)||50 yuan||100 yuan|
|Round-trip ticket (valid for 7 days)||80 yuan||160 yuan|
- With a flight ticket, passengers can buy a one-way ticket on the same day of the flight with a 20% discount.
- Children under 130 cm who are accompanied by an adult can travel ticket-free.
How to get to Longyang Road Station
By subway: Take Subway Line 2, get off at Longyang Rd. Station, and use exit #3 or exit #4.
By bus: Airport Bus # 3 and #7; Bus # 983 and #976.
Buy Tickets at a Ticket Center
Passengers can buy tickets on the day they want to take the train.
- Longyang Road Ticket Center: 2nd floor, 2100 Longyang Road Station
- Pudong Airport Ticket Center: 2nd floor, Pudong International Airport Station
How to board the train
Passengers should board the train at least 5 minutes before its departure, otherwise please wait for the next one.
- After you have bought the tickets, please follow the sign, pass through the ticket entrance, and get to the platform on the 3rd floor by the escalator.
- Wait behind the safety line.
- Show your tickets to the attendants.
- Once onboard, please quickly put your belongings in place and sit down.
- Smoking is not allowed in the carriage.
- On arrival, please get off the train and follow the attendants’ instructions.
- Please keep your tickets for passing both the entrance and the exit gate. The tickets will be collected at your final exit.
- Please keep your tickets clean and unfolded. Tickets become invalid once damaged, and you will be denied boarding.
- Passengers should board the train at least 5 minutes before its departure, otherwise please wait for the next one.
- When you get off the train, please make sure that you take all your belongings.