Discover A Fascinating Mountain City
2-Day Essence of Chongqing Tour
Chongqing is called "Mountain City", as houses and buildings are built on the mountain slopes, and there are hilly roads. Chongqing is a fascinating destination, famous as the beginning of the Yangtze River cruise. The local culture, including the hotpot and ancient towns, is the highlight of Chongqing.
- Visit Ancient Ciqikou Town.
- Learn the history and culture of the Yangtze and Chongqing in Three Gorges Museum.
- Have a taste of Chongqing hotpot.
About China Highlights
Since 1998 we've guided everyone ranging from US presidents, Australian Geographic and retired backpackers. Our goal is to create unique trips that take you off-the-beaten path, helping you discover China in a more authentic way. Our motto: "Discovery Your Way!"
Amazing Beijing experience with China Highlights and our guide Ivy!
China highlights (Alisa) made an itinerary for us that was perfect; from the type of hotels we prefer to all the sights you need to see, along with some special extra experiences that were perfect for our travel wishes. They also helped with am COVID changes before and throughout the entire trip, making it go very smoothly. The guide they arranged for our experiences is Ivy. Ivy made sure we were comfortable and enjoying ourselves from the moment we arrived. She took care of every detail for our comfort, any needed covid tests, and educated us about each location we visited. more
Your private guide will be ready to greet you and pick you up, and your driver will drive you to your hotel.
Good to Know
- Chongqing has unique "mountainous" city geography, so walking in Chongqing difficulties more tiring, especially for seniors. The subways are however convenient and recommended.
- See the end of Day 2 for free time ideas.
Kempinski Hotel Chongqing (5-star)/ Lafei Royal Hotel (4-star)
After breakfast at your hotel, your guide and driver will meet you at the lobby. They will prepare drinks, snacks, and maps to make your day enjoyable and comfortable.
At the Three Gorges Museum, have an overview of the history of the Yangtze River, the Three Gorges Dam, and Chongqing. It also houses some excellent stone and terracotta sculptures, art and interesting artifacts, items from the war years, and temporary exhibitions.
Ciqikou has been partly restored, and remains an authentic and busy community. The old wooden houses and narrow streets furthest from the river are mostly unimproved, closer to the river there are craft and souvenir shops, teahouses and music, and lots of local food and snacks.
Goose Neck Park is very popular with the locals who come here to enjoy the gardens, play Mahjong, make music or just relax. With nice views over the river and Chongqing, there are also a number of interesting buildings and former Embassies in the grounds, plus an enormous long painting of the Yangtze.
China Highlights can help you arrange private car to drive you to the pier of your Yangtze cruise, railway station, and airport. Feel free to contact us.
Free Time Ideas
- Have a try of Chongqing hotpot (a must try food in Chongqing) in the evening.
- Most food in Chongqing is very spicy. If you don't like spicy food, you can find some good Western restaurants in Chongqing, especially near shopping streets.
- Shopping at Jiefangbei Pedestrian Street
- Visit Hongya Cave (#3 for Chongqing on TA) — it's good for views, shopping, food, and nightlife.
- Impression Wulong: Enjoy the fantastic night show in Wulong Natural Scenic Area
- Yangtze River Cruise: Add 4 or 9 days (to Yichang or Shanghai).
- Dazu Grottoes: Add 1 day to see the amazing Buddhist grottoes. Two hours' drive by car from Chongqing city center.
- Wulong: Add 1 day to visit this limestone scenic area where Transformers 4 was shot, with gorges, wildlife, and caves. Three hours' drive by car from Chongqing city center.
- Chengdu: Add 1–2 days to go to the hometown and wonderland of giant pandas. You can take the Panda Keeper Program in Dujiangyan Panda Valley. Two hours' high-spped train from Chongqing North Railway Station.
1. Payment Methods:
We now offer 3 payment methods: PayPal, credit card authorization via fax and wire transfer. PayPal is recommended for its safety and efficiency. You can pay USA dollars, Australian dollars, European dollars and Great Britain Pound directly with your credit card or debit card, even if you don't have PayPal account.
2. Cancellation Policy:
In the event of cancellation we will refund any payment made to China Highlights (unless any cancellation fee applicable) within 14 days of our receipt of your written cancellation request. Visit here for more details.
3. Gratuities to Guide or Driver
Tips to the guide and driver are not included. If the guide's and driver's service truly satisfy you, our suggestion to the tips would be:
1 person in the group, CNY150-200,
2 people in a group: CNY100/person,
3-5 people in a group: CNY50-70/person,
6-9 people in a group: CNY40-50/person,
≥10 people in a group: CNY20-30/person.
The driver would be half the amount, and separate offer to each is best.
4. Travel Insurance:
Travel insurance is not included. We carefully selected some insurance providers from your region that give you the best value for money. Click here to go to the travel insurance page.