Chinese Steamed Stuffed Buns
Steamed stuffed buns (包子 baozi /baoww-dzrr/) are a popular snack (see Chinese Snacks) throughout China, though more popular in the North, with many small shops specializing in just steamed buns in even the smaller Chinese cities and towns.
Steamed buns are made from wheat flour and leavening agents and have a spongy feel. They are steamed on large perforated trays of bamboo or steel, usually stacked over a large wok of boiling water so that the steam rises through the trays.
The basic steamed bun is called a mantou and can be white (wheat flour), brown (wholemeal flour) or yellow (corn flower). Steamed stuffed buns are called baozi, and come with a wide variety of fillings. They are bought to take away. A sample steamed bun menu is shown below.
Chinese Steamed Bun Menu
English Chinese Pronunciation Characters
- Steamed BunmántouMan-toh馒头
- Steamed Twisted RollhuājuǎnHwaa-jwen花卷
- Bread Stuffed with Lard and Sugarshuǐjīng bāoShway-jing baoww水晶包
- Steamed Bun Suffed with Barbecued Roast Porkchāshāo bāoChaa-shaoww baoww叉烧包
- Juicy Steamed Stuffed Bunguàn tāng bāoGwann tung baoww灌汤包
- Steamed Sandwichgē bāoGer baoww割包
- Go Believe Steamed Stuffed Bungǒubùlǐ bāoziGoh-boo-lee baoww-dzrr狗不理包子
- Jiangsu Three-Dice BunJiāngsū sān dīng bāoJyang-soo san ding baoww江苏三丁包
- Smashed Bean Bundòushā bāoDoh-shaa baoww豆沙包
- Steamed Bun Stuffed with Garlic and Chivesjiǔcài bāoJyoh-tseye baoww韭菜包
- Steamed Bun Stuffed with Cabbagebáicài bāoBeye-tseye baoww白菜包
- Steamed Creamy Custard Bunnǎihuáng bāoNeye-hwung baoww奶黄包
Travel with China Highlights and Taste Authentic Chinese Cuisine
If you want to visit China and taste authentic Chinese food, please see our most recommended Chinese food tour below, for inspiration:
- 12-Day Beijing, Xi'an, Chengdu, Guilin, and Hong Kong Cuisine Tour - explore the most popular destinations in China and savor local Chinese food (including Peking duck) in each city.
Or contact us and let us create a Chinese food tour for you according to your interests and requirements.