One great thing about a city as relaxed as Chengdu is inexpensive massage. Although not as pervasive as the teahouses, massage places are easy to find and certainly widely available. The trick is finding a place that doesn't cost too much but is still good quality.
Quaint Massage Shack
Just by walking down the street and peaking into a few places you'll notice small foot massage places. Of course they offer full fledged pedicures, but the normal service is a foot soak followed by an hour rub.
Usually you can choose between a variety of Traditional Chinese medicinal herbs to soak your feet in for reasonable prices ranging from 25RMB to 60RMB. If you are a little adventurous try foot cupping.
However the best of these small massage parlors are the blind massage places. Although the people may not actually be blind it is believed that this technique is excellent.
However if you can find a blind masseur then go for it! Being blind actually does allow them to be more sensitive and give a great massage.
Recommended Place: Blind Master Zhang's Physical Therapy and Massage
- Chinese: 张师盲人理疗按摩
- Address: Near the crossing of Baiyun Street and Caihong street, Yulin Neighborhood (武侯区白云街).
- Distance from city center: It's about 15 minutes' drive from People's Park, costing about 15 yuan by taxi.
Exquisite Environment Massage
If you don't like the environment of those small massage places then there are many bigger places to relax. Here they have private rooms for two people and give complimentary tea and fruit. If you'd like you can even get a big room with a bed and bathtub/hot tub.
Be careful though! Sometimes these places are quite pricy because men will go here to do business and in Chinese culture doing business means spending a lot of money the first time they negotiate. Anyways you can relax there all day for under 200RMB.
Recommended Place: Yushou Guoyi
- Chinese: 御手国医馆
- Address: 131 Yipintianxia Avenue, Jinniu District #284-292 (金牛区一品天下大街131号附284-292号)
- Distance from city Center: It's about 20 minutes' drive from People's Park, costing about 17 yuan by taxi.
There are a few places that take it to the next level with saunas, bathhouses, massage, and all-you-can-eat buffets. Although these places are more common in northern China you can check out Chengdu's take on it.
Recommended Place: Herijun Hotsprings Hotel
- Chinese: 何日君温泉酒店
- Address: 2 Nijiaoqiao Road, Wuhou District #8 (武侯区倪家桥路2号附8号)
- Distance from city Center: It's about 18 minutes' drive from People's Park, costing about 16 yuan by taxi.
Not too far away from downtown Chengdu are a few natural hot springs. These places are equipped to keep you entertained all day and the buffet will keep you well-fed.
In the Wenjiang district of Chengdu you'll find Yufu Hot Springs Hotel with more than eighteen different natural minerals that benefit your health. If you travel a little farther to Huashuiwan you'll find many hotels with hot springs.
- Yufu Hot Springs Hotel
- Chinese: 鱼凫国都温泉酒店
- Address: 21 Wenquan Avenue Section 4, Wenjiang District ( 成都温江温泉大道四段1号)
- Distance from city Center: It's about 50 minutes' drive from People's Park, costing about 70 yuan by taxi.
- Huashuiwan Hot Springs
- Chinese: 大邑县花水湾镇温泉
- Address: Huashuiwan Town, Dayi County
- Distance from city Center: It's more than 1½ hours on a taxi and the taxi fee is more than 250 RMB.
China Highlights Chengdu Tours
If you are interested in travelling to Chengdu, please see our popular Chengdu tours below for inspiration.
Our Chengdu tours are totally customizable, so, once you have found one with the main things you want to see and do, you can let us know your other interests and we can price for things like massages and spas.