Bifengxia Giant Panda Base (or Green Peak Valley) has dense forest , numerous waterfalls and breathtaking scenery that make a visit very pleasant.
- Chinese: 大熊猫研究中心碧峰峡基地 dà xióng māo yán jiū zhōng xīn bì fēng xiá jī dì /bee-fnng-sshyaa sshyong-maoww jee-dee/ 'Bifengxia Giant Panda Base'
- Location: it's located in Bifengxia Scenic Area, 18 kilometers (11 miles) from Ya’an City, and 150 kilometers (93 miles) from Chengdu City.
- Popular activities: See lovely baby pandas, and giant pandas that coming back from overseas.
- Suit to: panda lovers or all ages
Raising, Breeding, and Rescuing Giant Pandas
Bifengxia Giant Panda Base was established at the end of 2003, and has become a paradise for giant pandas, a national treasure, with the function of raising, breeding and rescuing giant pandas. It has over 20 giant pandas.
Here visitors can see pandas more in their natural environment than at the Chengdu Panda Breeding Center. At the base, the pandas are trained in a simulated wild environment and returned to nature once researches show that they are fit enough to survive in the wild.
Read more about giant pandas in China
Volunteer Programs - Get Close to the Pandas
Volunteer programs gives a unique experience of getting close contact with the cuddly giant pandas. During the program, participants can work with skilled panda keepers to take care of the pandas.
Interesting activities include cleaning and weighing fresh bamboo to feed the pandas, cleaning panda enclosures and bathing the pandas. At the end of the program, each participant is issued a certificate which proves their volunteering at the base.
Visit Giant Pandas with China Highlights
If you are planning a giant panda tour, you can tailor-make your own unique tour by telling us your interests and requirements. We will help you design a perfect trip. Or see our popular tours below for inspiration.
- 1-Day Chengdu to Dujiangyan Panda Keeper Program Tour
- 4-day Wolong in-depth Panda Tour - Explore panda's nightlife without tourists and noise in the brand new center.
- More panda tours.