Chengdu is a city you will hesitate to leave once you get there - that's how many people describe Chengdu. There are lovely pandas, delicious food, and rich historical sites.
As a popular tourist city, Chengdu offers a range of hotels. Here, we have listed the best areas to stay in Chengdu to help you choose the right hotel.
1. Tianfu Square
It is the best choice for first-time travelers. For Chengdu locals, Tianfu Square's status is like that of Tian’anmen Square.
- Central location: Tianfu Square is in the center of the city and is the most prosperous business area. Tianfu Square is only 2 kilometers away from Chunxi Road, being within 20 minutes’ walk.
- Convenient transportation: Tianfu Square is the biggest transportation hub. Two metro lines meet there and it is easy to reach other parts of the city from there.
- It has a huge variety of hotels, including some of the best in Chengdu.
- The hotel prices are expensive.
- The daily hustle and bustle is not easy to get away from.
Subway: Both Line 1 and Line 2 lead to Tianfu Square.
Recommended hotels: Lia! Chengdu Hotel (5-star), JAHO Forstar Hotel Wenshuyuan Branch (4-star), Home Inn (2-star)
2. Chunxi Road
Chunxi Road is the most prosperous and oldest commercial street in Chengdu. It ranks third on the list of China's commercial streets. It is best for shopaholics and young people. It can also be the best choice for first-time travelers.
- Similar to Tianfu Square, Chunxi Road is prosperous and the busiest business area in Chengdu.
- Good for eating out, Chunxi Road is packed with lots of restaurants and snack vendors. You can find almost all the special types of Chengdu food there.
- It is also one of the best shopping places in Chengdu, housing a wide range of brands and time-honored stores. Sino-Ocean Taikoo Li Chengdu is the best shopping place if you are looking for trendy items.
- Hotels in the area are of higher quality and offer better services.
- As it is located in the busiest business area, the prices are correspondingly high.
- The subway trains are popular and crowded during rush hours.
Subway: Take Line 2 or Line 3 and get off at Chunxi Road.
Recommended hotels: Grand Hyatt Chengdu (5-star), The Temple House (5-star), Wadangwashe Chunxi Road Travelling With Hotel (4-star), Phoenix Regalia Hotel (4-star)
3. Kuanzhai Xiangzi (Wide and Narrow Alleys)
The Wide and Narrow Alleys area is one of the must-visit locations in Chengdu, filled with ancient Chinese architecture, folk culture with local characteristics, and local snacks. It is a good choice for families with kids and couples.
The Wide and Narrow Alleys
- It is the best area to see locals experiencing the leisurely and comfortable lifestyle in Chengdu.
- Compared with the central business areas, there is more folk culture, such as unique face-changing performances, the tea culture, and special ear cleaning services. You will get an insight into Chengdu locals’ lives.
- A good environment: The Wide and Narrow Alleys combine history with modern changes and are shaded by trees.
- There are some boutique courtyard-style hotels, which will give you some new experiences.
- A good area for nightlife: Spending an evening in Wide Alley, you can relish the nighttime snacks and barbecues held under the old trees, and watch shadow plays, puppet plays, and Chinese calligraphy demonstrations.
- There are relatively few options for hotels compared with the business areas.
Subway: Take Line 4 to Kuanzhai Xiangzi.
Recommended hotels: Diaoyutai Boutique Hotel Chengdu (5-star), Renli Hotel (Chengdu Kuanzhai) (4-star), City Inn Chengdu Wide and Narrow Alley Branch (3-star)
4. Jinli Ancient Street Area
Jinli Ancient Street is located southwest of the city center. Green tiles are placed in order and bluestone pathways twist forward - this 350-meter-long street shows the flavor of old Chengdu and is a stage for life in Chengdu, showcasing its features. It is best for travelers on a budget.
Jinli Old Street
- A quiet environment. Wuhou Temple, Wangjianglou Park, Sichuan University, and Southwest Minzu University are nearby.
- A beautiful night view. When night falls, countless red lanterns are lit, swinging above you. The age-old street, folk residences, teahouses, inns, wine bars, stages, and handiworks make you feel as though you have stepped back into the past.
- There are many restaurants near the university. They serve delicious food and are not very expensive.
- There is a lack of luxury hotels.
Subway: Take Line 1 to Sichuan Jinjiang Hotel and transfer to bus 1 to Wuhou Temple.
Recommended hotels: Minshan Lhasa Grand Hotel (4-star), ibis Cheng Du Wu Hou Ci (3-star)
5. Wenshu Monastery Area
Wenshu Monastery is located north of the city center. It is the best-preserved Buddhist temple in Chengdu. This area is a good choice for elderly people.
- It is a good area to escape from the hustle and bustle. The area is known for being fairly old and much quieter than the center of town. It is where you can enjoy the truly old culture of Chengdu.
- There are some interesting cultural activities, such as tasting covered tea, which is unique in Chengdu, visiting a collectibles market, and enjoying folk artists as they play music and sing.
- It is quite a distance from Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport and Chengdu East Railway Station compared with the other areas detailed above.
Subway: Metro Line 1 will take you to Wenshu Monastery.
Recommended hotels: Chengdu Shangxi Longyuan Quadrangle Courtyard Guesthouse (5-star), Minshan Lhasa Grand Hotel (4-star), Chengdu Lazybones Hostel Boutique Poshpacker (Wenshu Monastery) (3-star)
Enjoy a Hassle-Free Tour in Chengdu with Us
Let us tailor-make your unique Chengdu tour and help you find a satisfying hotel.
Tour Chengdu with us!
We have served thousands of foreign tourists and we are well aware of the requirements that foreign tourists have for hotels. Moreover, we are based in China and have a better understanding of the hotels in China.
See our most popular Chengdu tours for inspiration: