Guilin North Station is Guilin's main bullet train station for Yangshuo, Guangzhou and Shenzhen. The Guiyang direction of the Guiyang–Guangzhou line is better served by the recently opened Guilin West Station.
It also serves southward bullet trains and regular trains, though more-centrally-located Guilin Station is better for these.
- Chinese: 桂林北站 Guìlín Běi Zhàn /gway-lin bay jan/
- Name on train tickets: 桂林北 Guilin Bei
- Address: 6 Jinhe Road, Diecai District, Guilin 桂林市叠彩区站前路6号
- Location: 6 km (4 miles) north of central Guilin
- Station size: 9 platforms
Popular Trains to Other Cities
Guilin North Railway Station (桂林北站) is useful for high-speed trains east to Guangzhou/Shenzhen and west to Guiyang.
For bullet trains north/south go to Guilin Railway Station. Ordinary trains run to the same places (from Guilin and Guilin North) plus north to most major cities: Changsha, Shanghai, Beijing, Chengdu, etc., but they take two or three times as long.
A Map of Guilin's Railway Stations and HSR Lines
Bullet Trains for Yangshuo
There is now the option to take a train to Yangshuo, BUT trains don't go to the popular tourist town area. Yangshuo Station is a tiny station in the mountains, 6 km east of Xingping (which is renowned for the cream of Li River karst scenery). This means it's still quicker by bus from central Guilin to West Street. See more on Yangshuo Transport.
- For Yangshuo Railway Station there are eight trains from Guilin North daily taking 24 minutes (09:25 to 17:25, 4 USD second class).
- From Guilin West Station there are nine more, and a further one from Guilin Station (15:51).
Bullet Trains for Guangzhou/Shenzhen
- For Shenzhen North Railway Station, there are three direct trains daily taking 3 hours (33 USD second class), but these are often fully booked during the summer holidays and golden weeks.
- For Guangzhou South Railway Station, there are 17 trains daily from Guilin North (and a further 20 from Guilin West Station) taking around 2 hours 45 minutes (21 USD second class).
Bullet Trains for Guiyang
The Gui-Guang HSR has open up the fascinating minority areas of Guizhou with four stations in popular Miao and Dong minority areas. For more see Guangzhou to Guiyang HSR.
- For Guiyang there are seven direct trains daily taking 2½ hours (21 USD second class).
Guilin West Railway Station has 40 trains, so you are more likely to get a favorable journey time from there.
Bullet Trains for Nanning
- For Nanning East Station there are 20 bullet trains daily taking 2½ hours (17 USD second class).
Guilin Station has 19 bullet trains to Nanning and Nanning East, and Guilin Station is far closer to the city center, so it is the far more convenient option for southbound (and northbound) travel. Change in Nanning for overnight trains to Kunming.
Using the Station
Guilin North is a medium sized Chinese station, newer, and less convenient than Guilin Station a kilometer south of the city center. The modern design helps make travel easier. There is a big square outside with shops and eateries around it.
- Level 1 has the ticket halls, entrance with security check and exit, and waiting rooms 1 and 2 (plus a fee-extra business waiting room).
- Level 2 contains waiting areas 3 and 4, and various snack and convenience shops.
To find your waiting section, you should check the ticket and follow the LED screen which tells you the exact place for waiting and ticket checking.
For luggage portage, ask the help and information desk staff for porter help getting your luggage on the platform (about 10 RMB/piece).
For luggage above 20 kg, at the right side of the entrance on the ground floor, there is a Luggage Consignment Service (行李包裹承运处).
The Ticket Office
The ticket office is at the north side of the station building, with over 15 counters (usually only about three are open for buying and collecting tickets, however, and lines can be as long as half an hour). There is usually one counter open for refunds and ticket changes to the left of the long ticket queues. It's open from 7am to 11pm, with some counters at break during noon time. See the page foot for more on booking tickets.
Automatic ticketing machines are at the southwest corner, but only available for Chinese-ID-card-holders.
Transportation to/from Guilin North Railway Station
Taxis can be caught north of the station on the access road (Jinhe Lu). Make sure your say Huoche Bei Zhan (火车北站), as there is also a nearby Guilin North Bus Station, when using taxis. A taxi to the city center costs about 30 yuan. See the lowdown on Guilin Taxis.
Buses are available from the east side of the station square.
- For Guilin Liangjiang International Airport (桂林两江国际机场): take bus 32 or 100 to the Aviation Hotel (民航大厦, 2 yuan, 1 hour) and then take an Airport Shuttle Bus.
- For Guilin Railway Station (桂林火车站): take bus 100 (2 yuan, about 50 minutes), also for central Guilin
Many cities, like Guilin, have more than one station. Be sure you're booking the right tickets. You could book tickets at any train station, city ticket window, or online with the Chinese railway website. See How to Buy Tickets in China.
We can assist you with booking tickets just 3 easy steps (search trains, book tickets, pay), 10,000+ customers/year, 24/7 service, and express delivery.
China Highlights is based in Guilin. We can do the travel planning and make the transportation arrangements for you to discover Guilin. See our popular Guilin and Yangshuo 4-day tour for inspiration.