Shenzhen and Macau are two modern cities located in South China. The direct distance between the two cities is only about 80 kilometers but a bay separates the two places.
The most common way to travel from Shenzhen to Macau is to take a ferry. If you have no concerns about budget, enjoying a helicopter ride is a luxury option, or you can transit via Hong Kong or Zhuhai.
Read on to find the best option for your Shenzhen and Macau transit.
Shenzhen to Macau by Ferry
This is the most convenient and time-saving way of getting from Shenzhen to Macau because you don't need to do many transfers and there are helpful English services all the way.
You can visit the homepage of TurboJET, the ferry operator, to book your tickets: https://www.turbojet.com.hk/en/.
You can depart from two ferry terminals in Shenzhen:
- Shekou Ferry Terminal
- Shenzhen Airport Ferry Terminal (also called Fuyong Ferry Terminal)
You can arrive at two ferry terminals in Macau, one of which is located on the northern island and the other on the southern island:
- Macau Outer Harbor Ferry Terminal (on the northern island)
- Macau Taipa Ferry Terminal (on the southern island, close to Macau International Airport)
If you are going to return to Shenzhen after your Macau trip, it is a good idea to arrive at one of the ferry terminals in Macau and depart from the other one so you can visit both of Macau's islands without repeating your steps.
From Shekou Ferry Terminal to Macau
Shekou Ferry Terminal is located in the southwest corner of Shenzhen and you can take Metro Line 2 to Shekou Port Station to get there.
More ferries depart from Shekou Ferry Terminal than Shenzhen Airport Ferry Terminal. Every day, 12 ferries depart to Macau Outer Harbor Ferry Terminal and 15 to Macau Taipa Ferry Terminal.
No matter which ferry terminal in Macau you arrive at, the times and prices for a voyage are the same.
- Duration: 1 hour
- Ticket price: 210 yuan (30 USD, economy class) / 380 yuan (54 USD, first class)
Check out the schedule for the ferries:
- Shekou to Outer Harbor: 08:00, 08:45, 10:00, 10:30, 11:30, 13:30, 14:30, 15:30, 17:00, 18:00, 18:30, 19:30
- Shekou to Taipa: 08:30, 09:00, 09:30, 11:00, 12:00, 12:30, 13:00, 14:00, 15:00, 16:00, 16:30, 17:30, 19:00, 20:15, 21:00
If you plan to return to Shenzhen by ferry, take note of the schedule from Macau:
- Outer Harbor to Shekou: 09:30, 10:15, 11:30, 12:00, 13:00, 15:00, 16:00, 17:00, 18:30, 19:30, 20:00, 21:00
- Taipa to Shekou: 08:30, 09:00, 10:00, 10:30, 11:00, 12:30, 13:30, 14:00, 14:30, 15:30, 16:30, 17:30, 18:00, 19:00, 20:30
Shenzhen Airport Ferry Terminal to Macau
Fuyong Ferry Terminal is located next to Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport. Travelers can take Metro Line 1 or 11 to the airport, then take one of the free shuttle buses to the ferry terminal, taking 15 minutes.
Every day, only four ferries depart from Shenzhen Airport Ferry Terminal to Macau Outer Harbor Ferry Terminal and another four to Macau Taipa Ferry Terminal.
- Duration: 75 minutes
- Ticket price: 235 yuan (33 USD, economy class) / 399 yuan (57 USD, first class)
Check out the schedule for the ferries:
- Shenzhen Airport to Outer Harbor: 09:00, 12:00, 15:00, 16:30
- Shenzhen Airport to Taipa: 10:30, 13:30, 18:00, 19:30
If you plan to return to Shenzhen Airport Ferry Terminal, take note of the schedule from Macau:
- Outer Harbor to Shenzhen Airport: 10:30, 13:30, 16:30, 18:00
- Taipa to Shenzhen Airport: 09:00, 12:00, 15:00, 19:30
Shenzhen to Macau by Helicopter
For a luxury experience and the quickest journey, you can take a helicopter ride from Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport to Macau's Outer Harbor.
This is the fastest way to travel and only takes 15 minutes to get from Shenzhen to Macau but it's also the most expensive way, costing 4,700 yuan (668 USD). During public holidays, another 400 yuan (56 USD) will be charged.
Two flights depart every day at 13:30 and 20:30, as well as one more flight on Mondays, Saturdays, and Sundays, departing at 17:45.
Check out http://www.skyshuttlehk.com for detailed information and to book your ticket.
Shenzhen to Hong Kong to Macau
Shenzhen to Zhuhai to Macau
Go from Shenzhen to Zhuhai, where you will go through the Gongbei Port of Entry or Hengqin Port to Macau.
Buses depart from Shenzhen Luohu Bus Station (深圳罗湖客运站, seven buses a day) and Shenzhen Bus Station (深圳汽车站, three buses a day). The ticket price is about 110 yuan (16 USD) and the bus will take you to your destination in about 3 hours.
As there are limited buses and limited English services, use this option if you can speak Chinese, have more time, and need to travel on a budget.
Enjoy Your Shenzhen and Macau Experience with Us
We provide private tour services to save you the hassle of choosing a transportation method and booking your ticket(s). We also help you to manage your itinerary and accommodation.
Check out our popular Shenzhen and Macau tours for reference: