Xiamen is a great city that is very tourist friendly, not too crowded and it is a perfect mix between a peaceful coastal town and a busy modern city. If you want to have some fun in Xiamen we put together a list of to do night time activities while you're here. The list is aimed at satisfying all types of people, from the quiet introvert to the exuberant dancer. Let's see how a night in Xiamen can look...
Night Cruise on the Lu River
To start your night, a cruise can take you to see the beautiful landscapes. We recommend a tour guide to show you the scenes along the route. The ferry provides Gongfu tea and Gulangyu pie as snacks, and you can enjoy this close encounter with the city, by sea.
- Cruise route: Ferry - Gulangyu Island - Xiamen University - Hulishan Battery - Huoshao Island - Haicang Bridge - Ferry
- Price: 128 yuan per person
- Time: Embarking at 19:30, the duration is 1.5 hours
Bars and Clubs
Xiamen offers a large variety of clubs and pubs to choose from. If one night you would like to dance and party, Xiamen has techno clubs, dance and pop music you can get down on. Start your night by cruising the most popular bars in Xiamen and get in the mood with a couple of cocktails.
Soul Bar 杜尚酒吧
- Address: 1st Floor, 189 East Hubin Road, Siming District (思明区湖滨东路188号1楼)
- Tel: 0592-5075 5078
- Average price per person: 150 yuan
- Address: Yueming Building, 14 Jianye Road, Xiamen
Nana Pub 娜娜小酒馆
- Address: Longtou Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District (思明区鼓浪屿龙头路)
- Tel: 0592-2066308
- Average price per person: 41 yuan
- Address:2F, Foreign Trade Building, 15 Hubinbei Road
True Love Pub 真爱酒吧
- Address: 1st Floor, Building A, Donghui Garden, 2-4 Yundang Road, Siming District (思明区筼筜路2-4号东卉花园A幢1楼)
We would also want to add here some karaoke bars in case you want to have a little fun after some drinks. Chinese people like KTV's and they know how to have fun. Below there are a couple of choices:
Xiamen Huanchang KTV
- Address Dihao Branch: 3F, Dihao Building, 860, Xiahe Lu, Xiamen
- Adress Baofu Branch: 1-2 F, Baofu Building, 819, Hubin Nanlu, Xiamen
- Tel Dihao Branch:0592-2967777
- Tel Baofu Branch:>0592-5166999
Xiamen Red KTV
- Address: 68, Bailuzhou Dong Lu, Siming District, Xiamen
- Tel :0592-3782888, 0592-3782999
- Opening hours:14:00 - 2:00 am
Cafés and Teahouses
If you want a peaceful evening or maybe just hang out with a couple of friends we recommend to get down to one of these cafes and enjoy the friendly atmosphere. There, we encourage you to try out different types of teas. Explore China's taste with traditional teas, served like nowhere else!
32 How Café
- Address: 32 Huaxin Road, Siming District (思明区华新路32号)
- Tel: 0592-2916511
- Hours: 10:00–23:00 from Monday to Friday; 10:00–24:00 in weekends
- Average price per person: 53 yuan
- Address: 15 Zhonghua Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District (思明区鼓浪屿中华路15号)
- Tel: 0592-2083702
- Hours: 10:00–22:00
- Average price per person: 51 yuan
- Address:2/F, Zhongzi Building, North Hubin Road
- Address:3F, Tianbao Mansion, 335, Jiahe Road, Huli District
Yuanzhou Teahouse 圆洲茶庄
- Address: 25 Zhonghua Road, Gulangyu Island, Siming District (思明区鼓浪屿中华路25号)
Banlam Grand Theater 闽南大戏院
An excellent repast should, for some, be succeeded by great entertainment. For theater, opera and world-class entertainments (such as the ballet, "Anna Karenina" performed by the St. Petersburg Eifman Ballet company) one needs to wend one’s way to the Grand Theater, Cross-Straits Financial Centre, north of Xiamen International Conference and Exhibition Center, Huizhan Road, Siming District. A variety of world-class shows may be enjoyed here.
If you are fond of movies and want to enjoy an English movie without being dubbed in Chinese, you have some options.
Jenyi International Cinema
- Mingfa branch: 3F, Block C, 381, East area of Mingfa Commercial Mall, 0592-5048811
- Minghui branch: 3F, Minghui Plaza, 28, Xiaxi Road, 0592-2138800
Wonda International Cinema
- Address: 3F, Building B, SM phase II, 399, Jiahe Road, Siming District, Xiamen
- Tel: 0592-5102020, 5379808
Whatever one’s taste in entertainment, food is always important. Xiamen, with 1500 establishments to choose from, has abundant choices. Westerners will have no difficulty in locating familiar food be it Italian, German or American. Those with more adventurous palates might enjoy experimenting with Chinese cuisine. Yan Yu restaurant on the corner of Lianjing Lu and Lianjing 2 is highly rated, especially by foreigners.
It can be a good investment to hire a tour guide who will be able to advise on finer aspects of Fujian cuisine. Soups and broths often include local sea products and bamboo shoots. A famous dish known as "Buddha Jumps over the Wall" contains about thirty ingredients and is named after a monk who was unable to resist its fragrance.
Fantastic Street Food in Zhongshan Night Market
If you want to take the pulse of the city, you should indulge in Xiamen's vibrant and colorful food night market. Everybody joins in, tasting different types of seafood prepared on grills, vegetables, exotic caramelized fruits and also tea.
Also, you can purchase clothes, shoes, toys or even flowers here. You can clearly see the influence of the Taiwanese island on the Xiamen.
Outdoor Locations: Bailuzhou and Haiwan Parks
If you would love an outdoor location, we suggest you stroll down to Bailuzhou Park (白鹭洲公园) and Haiwan Park (海湾公园).Here you would find a variety of clubs, pubs, and teahouses too!
Both of the parks hold quiet and pleasant daytime activities like kite flying, picnics, roller skating and different types of sports. But when the night falls all the commercial buildings around the park transform themselves in oases of fun and dancing. From these two parks, Biluzhou Park is the one with more cafes and teahouses. Haiwan Park is richer in clubs and pubs like KK Disco, The Key, Honey bar, Tunnel 66 and Me and You2.
Tours with China Highlights in the area:
- Create your personalized tour with China Highlights here
- Hidden Treasures of China eleven-days tour
- 4-Day Essence of Xiamen tour
- 5-Day Fujian Cultural and Scenic Tour
- 3-Day Relaxed Weekend Tour of Xiamen, Gulangyu, and the Earthen Buildings