Suzhou has a vast range of restaurants catering not only to local palettes, but also serving dishes from all over China and all over the world.
This page covers the best of Suzhou's mainstream Chinese restaurants. For other tastes and restaurant styles click below.
Local Dishes Restaurants
Founded during the years under Emperor Jiajing of the Ming Dynasty, the Deyuelou Restaurant has a history of over 400 years and mainly specializes in Suzhou cuisine. The restaurant consists of three smaller restaurants featuring different flavors. More than 300 dishes are served. Moreover, visitors can enjoy a nice view of the surrounding gardens.
- Chinese name: 得月楼De Yue Lou /duh-ywair-loh/
- The specialties of the restaurant: Squirrel-shaped Mandarin Fish, Deyue Spring Chicken
- Price per person: about 135 yuan
- Address: 43, Taijian Lane, Guanqian Street, Pingjiang District (平江区观前街太监弄43号)
- How to get there: Take bus 2 to go there. Show the above address to the taxi driver or guide.
- Reservation phone: 0512-65222230 0512-65238940
This 2000-year-old Songhelou Restaurant in Taijian Alley has long been known for its authentic Suzhou dishes. Prepared with the freshest of seasonal ingredients, Songhelou's most popular dishes are freshwater fish and shrimps, including sweet and sour mandarin fish, fried snails with shrimps, and braised eel. The sweet mandarin fish was a favorite of Qing Emperor Qianlong, who dined here every time he visited Suzhou.
- Chinese name:松鹤楼菜馆 Song He Lou Cai Guan /song her loh tseye gwann/
- Restaurant specialties: Sweet Mandarin Fish, Fried Shrimp
- Price per person: about 105 yuan
- Address: 72, Taijian Lane, Pingjiang District (平江区太监弄72号)
- How to get there: Buses 101, 102, 146, 112, and 307. Show the above address to the taxi driver or guide.
- Reservation phone: 0512-67272285 0512-67277006
Xiehe Restaurant is an old restaurant in Suzhou. Although not as famous as Deyuelou Restaurant and Songhelou Restaurant, it offers almost all Suzhou dishes at reasonable prices. Fried shrimp is a must-have, as it offers a tender and refreshing taste. The environment is quaint and the staff is enthusiastic.
- Chinese name: 协和菜馆 Xie He Cai Guan /yeah-her tseye gwann/
- The specialties of the restaurant: Fried Shrimp, Stir-fried Shredded Eel Paste
- Price per person: about 80 yuan
- Address: 15, Phoenix Street, Suzhou (苏州凤凰街15号)
- How to get there: Tourist Bus 2. Show the above address to the taxi driver or guide.
- Reservation phone: 0512-65117830
Tongdexing Noodles Restaurant
Today, seldom do Suzhou noodle restaurants sell red soup, white soup, broad noodles, and narrow noodles separately, but Tongdexing does. The noodles are slippery, the white soup with stewed meat is delicious and not greasy, and the fired fish with red soup is fragrant.
- Chinese name: 同德兴 Tong De Xing /tong-der sshying/
- Restaurant specialties: Stewed Meat Noodles with White Soup, Fengzhen Meat Noodles
- Price per person: about 35 yuan
- Address: 624, Shiquan Street, Canglang District (沧浪区十全街624号(近凤凰街))
- How to get there: Buses 55, 202, 529, 811. Show the above address to the taxi driver.
- Reservation phone: 0512-65113808
The interior decor is quite elegant and creates a feeling of home. The restaurant mainly offers Su and Chuan cuisine. The braised pork in soy sauce has great color and a fantastic flavor. Paper Pot Tofu is unique, as it is boiled in a paper-made pot over a burning fire.
- Chinese name: 关于吃. COME Guan Yu Chi. Come /gwann-yoo chrr/. come
- Restaurant specialties: Braised pork in soy sauce, boiling fish
- Price per person: about 45 yuan
- Address: 133, Shizi Street, Canglang District (沧浪区十梓街133号)
- How to get there: Buses 200, 202, 204. Show the above address to the taxi driver or guide.
- Reservation phone: 0512-65827212
Panyulin Sugar Porridge Stall
The owners are a kind, elderly couple, and they supply authentic Suzhou sugar porridge. The sugar porridge is stewed glutinous rice, doused with thick and viscous sweet bean paste, and mixed with sweet-scented osmanthus, giving it a sweet and fragrant flavor. The locals say that the sugar porridge is like a taste of childhood.
- Chinese name: 潘玉麟糖粥摊 Pan Yu Lin Tang Zhou Tan /pan yoo lin tung joh tan/
- Restaurant specialties: Little Wine-Brewed Glutinous Rice Ball, Yuanyang Sweet-Scented Osmanthus Porridge
- Price per person: about 4 yuan
- Address: North Gate, Bird and Flower Market, 172, Pishi Street, Pinjiang District (平江区皮市街172号花鸟市场北门)
- How to get there: Tourist Bus 1. Show the above address to the taxi driver or guide.
Goodman Folk Snacks
Goodman Folk Snacks supplies a variety of Sichuan snacks. The snacks are authentic and sufficient in quantity, and are offered at low prices. Because of their good taste and low price, the restaurant always enjoys many guests.
- Chinese name: 好人民间小吃 Hao Ren Min Jian Xiao Chi /haoww rnn-min jyen sshyaoww-chrr/
- Restaurant specialties: Crisp Fried Milk, Shao-Mai
- Price per person: about 20 yuan
- Address: 81, Bifeng Lane, Guanqian Street, Pingjiang District (平江区观前街碧凤坊81号)
- Reservation phone: 0512-65235206
- How to get there: Buses 2, 9, 32, 60, 146, 305, and several others. Show the above address to the taxi driver.
Haidilao Hot Pot
Although Haidilao Hot Pot mainly serves the Sichuan Hot Pot, its core business is not the hot pot, but its service. At Haidilao, customers will truly experience a sense of God, and might even be embarrassed. We have to admit that Haidilao’s service has won over most hot pot enthusiasts. The environment and the food are great.
- Chinese name: 海底捞火锅 Hai Di Lao Huo Guo /heye-dee laoww hwor-gwor/
- Restaurant specialties: Slippery Shrimp, Boiled Noodles
- Price per person: about 96 yuan
- Address: 7th Floor, Xinsutiandi Shopping Center, 219, Guangji South Road, Jinchang District (金阊区广济南路219号新苏天地购物中心7楼)
- How to get there: Buses 300, 301, 307, 31, 332, and several others. Show the above address to the taxi driver or guide.
- Reservation phone: 0512-65899796
Wang Steak has an excellent reputation for its many years of good quality food. They choose ribs under a strict rule: bone long 17 cm and weight of 16 ounces, meaning that only six ribs from a cow can be selected! Under such a strict rule, the steak is definitely fabulous. From the steak to the desserts, every dish gives you both visual and taste enjoyment. The environment is extremely elegant and the service makes you feel like a noble. Prices are high, but the food is worth it.
- Chinese name: 王品台塑牛排 Wang Pin Tai Su Niu Pai /wung pin teye soo nyo peye/
- Restaurant specialties: Wang Steak, Pastry Seafood Soup
- Price per person: about 320 yuan
- Address: 158-116, Xinggang Street, Industry Zone (工业园区星港街158号-116号)
- How to get there: Buses 108, 138, 148, 158, 261, 4, and several others. Show the above address to the taxi driver or guide.
- Reservation phone: 0512-62567071
Tasty Steak is the No. 1 branch of Wang Steak. The restaurant also offers bread, appetizers, soup, main courses, beverages, and desserts as a set meal, and at half the price of Wang Steak. The restaurant offers many types of set meals, the steak is fine and smooth, and the sauce is savory and mellow. The environment is quiet and comfortable, and the service is good. People who have been there speak highly of the experience.
- Chinese name: 西堤牛排 Xi Di Niu Pai /sshee dee nyoh-peye/
- Restaurant specialties: Black Forest Mousse, French Snail Soup
- Price per person: about 150 yuan
- Address: 19, Tianjian Lane, Guanqian Street, Pingjiang District (苏州平江区观前街太监弄19号1楼)
- How to get there: Bus 1, 5, 8, 38, 101 and several others go there. You can show the above address to the taxi driver.
- Reservation phone: 0512-65158091
International Restaurants Yuandi Teppanyaki
The environment at Yuandi Teppanyaki is elegant. The tables are next to the cooking area, allowing you to enjoy the performance of the chef cooking dishes in front of you. The dishes are beautiful and fresh, and the service is great. After you finish your meal, move to the café to enjoy music and desserts.
- Chinese name: 园邸铁板烧 Yuan Di Tie Ban Shao /ywan dee tyeh ban shaoww/
- Restaurant specialties: Black Caviar with Goose Liver Boiled Egg, Sharon Steak
- Price per person: about 290 yuan
- Address: 5th Floor, Xinghai International Square, 200, Xinghai Street, Suzhou (苏州星海街200号星海国际广场5楼)
- How to get there: Buses 100, 120, 148, 156, 215, 261, and several others. Show the above address to the taxi driver or guide.
- Reservation phone: 0512-62567959
Xinjiang Jaaksi Restaurant
You can smell the strong fragrance of mutton soup when stepping into the restaurant. The food is well-cooked and sufficient in quantity. Mutton skewers, the best of all of the dishes served, have an attractive color and cumin flavor.
- Chinese name: 新疆亚克西酒楼 Xinjiang Yakexi Jiulou /sshin-jyang ya-ker-sshee jyoh-loh/
- Restaurant specialties: Mutton skewers, Lamb Pizza
- Price per person: about 50 yuan
- Address: 768, Shiquan Street, Canglang District (沧浪区十全街768号)
- How to get there: Bus 261. Show the above address to the taxi driver or guide.
- Reservation phone: 0512-65291798
Beijiang Restaurant is a famous Xinjiang restaurant. The Saute Spicy Chicken is authentic, the potatoes in it are tasty, and the noodle is chewy. In addition, Mutton skewers and the Meat Package are worth a try. Prices are reasonable, and the environment is good. The decor is elegant and unique.
- Chinese name: 北疆饭店 Beijiang Fandian /bay-jyang fan-dyen/
- Restaurant specialties: Mutton skewers, Meat Package
- Price per person: about 45 yuan
- Address: 1st Floor, B District, Zuo’an Business Street, 108, Suhui Street, Industry Zone (工业园区苏惠路158号左岸商业街B区1座)
- How to get there: Buses 4 and 518. Show the above address to the taxi driver or guide.
- Reservation phone: 0512-65113888
Lotus Veg Café
Dishes at Lotus Veg Café are unique. The café uses pure water and organic vegetables to cook fresh and healthy dishes. Sorbets and jelly are offered in the summer, and Medicated Diet Hot Pot is served in the winter. The restaurant serves not only vegetarian dishes but also organic and Taiwanese vegetarian menu items. Sometimes it offers Taiwanese snacks, such as Zongzi, Suyuan, Smelly Tofu, and spiced corned egg.
- Chinese name: 水中莲有机餐饮 Shui Zhong Lian Youji Canyin /shway jong lyen yoh-jee tsan-yin/
- Restaurant specialties: Filet Mignon, Salt Crisp Chicken
- Price per person: about 50 yuan
- Address: 121, Shop B1, Xindu Square, 8, Jinjihu Road, Industry Zone (工业园区金鸡湖路8号馨都广场1B商铺121号)
- How to get there: Buses 146 and 178. Show the above address to the taxi driver.
- Reservation phone: 0512-62627589
Wuguantang Vegetarian Restaurant
The interior décor is very elegant and the ebullient boss will help you select dishes according to your taste. Dishes are not over-decorated, and some look quite ordinary, but your taste buds will wake up as soon as you take a bite! The dishes are different from those served at other vegetarian restaurants, and are delicious but not greasy.
- Chinese name: 五观堂素食 Wu Guan Tang Su Shi /woo gwann tung soo-shrr/
- Restaurant specialties: Super Fresh, Roast Potato
- Price per person: about 70 yuan
- Address: Building 15, Phase 3, Ligongdi, Industry Zone (工业园区李公堤三期15号楼)
- How to get there: Show the above address to the taxi driver or guide.
- Reservation phone: 0512-68733556
Bencaorensheng Vegetarian Restaurant
The design of this restaurant is based on the listed healthy foods in Compendium of Materia Medica, and the decor, layout, and everything in it create a great cultural atmosphere. Every dish includes traditional Chinese medicinal materials according to the Compendium of Materia Medica, and is good in taste and appearance. All of the servers in the restaurant are vegetarian, and they will tell you about vegetarian concepts when serving you.
- Chinese name:本草人生 Bencao Ren Sheng /bnn-tsaoww rnn shnng/
- Restaurant specialties: Pastry Soup, Double Cooked Pork Slices
- Price per person: about 60 yuan
- Address: 117 Tayuan Road, Gaoxin District (高新区塔园路117号)
- How to get there: Buses 328, 35, 415, and 622. Show the above address to the taxi driver or guide.
- Reservation phone: 0512-68082747
Our Most Popular Suzhou Tours
Our tours are developed through years of experience and customer feedback and are reasonably priced, and they can be customized to your requirements:
- Suzhou Classic Gardens Day Trip: Explore some hidden gems in "the most beautiful and welcoming city in South China".
- 2-Day Essential Suzhou and Tongli Water Town Tour from Shanghai: The World Heritage gardens and charming water town are unmissable highlights.
- 5-Day Shanghai, Hangzhou, and Suzhou Bullet Train Tour: This tour offers the best of the three most important cities in the Yangtze Delta.