Huangshan is in the east of China and close to Shanghai. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in China. Huangshan is steeped in picturesque natural landscapes and history. Marvel at the peculiarly-shaped rocks and pines on the Yellow Mountains, appreciate the ancient-styled dwellings in Xidi and Hongcun villages, then have a taste of Huangshan's most famous tea — maofengtea (毛峰茶), one of China's top 10 teas.
When to go and What to See
Huangshan is worth visiting all year round. And you won't regret to visit it in any season.
Spring — Rape flower of Sankou Town
- Late March to early April
- Northeast of the Yellow Mountains
- More than 2 square kilometers rape flowers
- 40 minutes' drive from the Yellow Mountains
Summer — Pine and sea of cloud of the Yellow Mountains
- 1½ hours by bus from Huangshan city
- North of center Huangshan
- Enjoy a leisure summer
Autumn — Chrysanthemum blossoms and red leaves of the Yellow Mountains
Winter — Frost flowers and rime, sea of clouds
- From November to March is the winter time of the Yellow Mountains
- The Yellow Mountains: The seas of clouds, sunrise and the sunset, hot springs
- Hongcun Village and Xidi Village: Village in paintings, the constant fieldwork foci of art students
- Classic and idyllic East Chinese rural life in She and Yi counties (both are about 1½ hours' drive from the Yellow Mountains)
- Huangshan Spotlight Expriences
How to get to Huangshan
The transportation of Huangshan is quiet convenient. Huangshan City is about 410 km (255 mi) southwest from Shanghai . It is a tourist destination often combined with Shanghai and Hangzhou (about 250 km or 155 miles east). Flights are available to Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Hangzhou, Chongqing, and Xi'an, etc.
The Yellow Mountains is the highlight of Huangshan Prefecture. So buses directly linking Shanghai/Hangzhou and the Yellow Mountains depart every day.
Cable cars are available on the Yellow Mountains. But you still need to do some mountain climbing to get to the tops. Stone steps and amenities are provided on all major paths.
- Read more about Huangshan transportation.
China Highlights' 4-Day Huangshan Highlights Tour includes the Yellow Mountains and Hongcun Village.
You can watch the sunset and sunrise on the mountains because you will stay overnight on the Yellow Mountains on the second day.
If you have never traveled to Shanghai before, you can combine it with a tour of Shanghai.
Want to see more attractions in Huangshan, which are not included in our ready-made tours? No problem. We at China Highlights specialize in tailor-making tours.