Kunming is located in the sub-tropical latitude, monsoon climate zone, with non-extreme and relatively comfortable weather throughout the year. It is seldom very cold in winter or very hot in summer, and flowers bloom all year round, thus Kunming has been given the nickname "Spring City".
The pleasant weather of Kunming makes it suitable for traveling all year round, though tourists prefer the liveliest period from March to October, when there are many festivals and events.
Kunming Average Climate by Month
Kunming has a moderate climate: winters generally stay above freezing (except in the mountains), and summers aren’t very hot. January is the coldest month with average daily temperatures of 2–15°C (34–59°F), while July is the hottest month with an average temperature range of 17–24°C (62–75°F).
Kunming has a moderate amount of rainfall, with an annual precipitation at 1,101 mm (43 inches). The rainy season lasts from May to October when over 80% of the rain occurs.
- 3-Day Stone Forest and City Essence Tour
- 6-Day Jianshui and Yuanyang Tour
- 8-Day Kunming, Dali, Lijiang, and Shangri-La Tour
Things to Do in Kunming by Season
Dry and Cool-to-Warm Spring
Spring is from March to May. It is cool to warm and dry. The weather is changeable, with big differences of temperature between day and night and day to day.
Things to do:
- Enjoy various flowers blossoming at Yuantong Mountain.
- Admire the blood-red fields of Dongchuan Red Land.
- Join in the folk song festival and enjoy a dragon show at Western Hills.
What to bring: Prepare a light sweater and coat for spring.
Kunming Weather in March>>>
Kunming Weather in April>>>
Kunming Weather in May>>>
Warm & Wet Summer
Summer is from June to September. It is wet, but not very hot and humid. Over 60% of the annual rainfall is concentrated in the four summer months.
The hottest month is July, with daily high temperatures generally between 21°C (70°F) and 27°C (80°F). The difference of temperature between day and night is big, and at night it drops to around 15°C (60°F).
Things to do:
- Escape from summer heat at the Western Hills and Jiuxiang Caves.
- Attend the Torch Festival at the Stone Forest.
- Enjoy the white cole flowers at Dongchuan Red Land.
What to bring: Wear summer clothes, such as shirts, skirts, and shorts, but also prepare a light coat and trousers for when the temperature is lower at night or for if you travel to the mountainous areas. As it’s the rainy season, bring an umbrella or raincoat.
Kunming Weather in June>>>
Kunming Weather in July>>>
Kunming Weather in August>>>
Kunming Weather in September>>>
Autumn is from October to November. The weather is pleasant, relatively dry, and mild/cool, with much less rainfall than in summer. The weather is changeable, and temperatures may drop suddenly.
Things to do:
- Explore unusual karst geology at Stone Forest Park.
- See the harvest at Dongchuan Red Land
What to bring: Take a sweater and a light jacket.
Kunming Weather in October>>>
Kunming Weather in November>>>
Sunny, Cool, and Dry Winter
Winter is from December to February. It is cold to mild, and it’s sunny most of the time, but it gets cold when it rains.
Sometimes north/east winds blow, and then the light drizzle can seem endless and the humidity makes it feel cold, even though the temperature is not very low. But when southerlies blow or high pressure prevails, which is more common in Kunming’s winters, the weather is quite mild, clear, and dry.
Does Kunming have snow? Yes, especially in the mountainous rural areas such as Dongchuan and Yuanyang, but it rarely snows in Kunming City, and even if it does, it is very light. The city’s average winter low and high temperatures are 3°C (37 °F) and 16°C (61°F) respectively.
Things to do:
- Escape frozen/damp weather.
- Feed the Siberian seagulls at Green Lake Park or Dianchi Lake.
- Shoot the Yuanyang Rice Terraces irrigated with water.
What to bring: Prepare thick sweaters and an overcoat or down jacket. You may not need an umbrella when traveling in winter.
Kunming Weather in December>>>
Kunming Weather in January>>>
Kunming Weather in February>>>
Special Kunming Weather Travel Tips
1. With the influence of monsoon winds, Kunming is often rainy from May to October with a large temperature difference between day and night. We highly recommend you take rain gear, and take a coat in case of cold at night.
Kunming Average Monthly Precipitation (in)
2. The altitude in Kunming City is 1,900 meters (6,200 feet) with comparatively strong ultraviolet radiation due to its location in the middle of the Yunnan–Guizhou Plateau. For traveling in Kunming, especially in summertime, bring a hat, sunglasses, and sun cream.
Touring Kunming with Us
If you are planning a Kunming tour, please feel free to contact us for more information including the weather in Kunming. Your travel advisor will give you recommendations and suggestions about Kunming tours.
Here are our most popular Kunming tours for your reference:
- 3-Day Kunming Memory Tour — covering the highlights of Kunming City, such as the Stone Forest and Dragon Gate
- 8-Day Yunnan Exploration Tour — including the must-see attractions in Kunming, Dali, Lijiang, and Shangri-La
See more of our tours that include Kunming. Or contact us for a customized Kunming tour.