It is time for lavender blossoms again; flowers lovers cannot miss the season! Provence is too far away, Ili is too marginal, but don't worry as Shanghai is also a great place for you to enjoy the purple sea. Here are six famous lavender gardens around Shanghai.
1. Shanghai Ancol Dreamland Herb Farm (上海寻梦园香草农场)
Located on the edge of Zhujiajiao, Qingpu (青浦的朱家角边), covering an area of 266,667 square meters, with 43,333 square meters of lavender fields and 12,000 square meters of cosmos fields, the herb farm has been gradually opened up. It has a great variety of lavenders, most of which is French Lavender.
You can experience some interesting activities there like an outdoor barbecue and how to be "a one-day flower grower". The 300-square-meter outdoor barbecue zone is a good place for family gatherings and friends’ parties, where you can bake a special herbal meal by yourselves. The "one-day flower grower" experiential zone offers numerous seedlings and flower beds in different shapes for you to choose and plant. Under the guidance of a horticulturalist, you will enjoy the process of planting very much.
- Best times to visit: June to September
- Opening hours: 08:00-18:00 (from Mondays to Sundays)
- Address: 2365, Shentai Road, Zhujiajiao Town, Qingpu District, Shanghai (上海市青浦区朱家角镇沈太路2365号)
- How to get there: Take Metro Line 17 to Zhujiajiao Station (朱家角站). Transfer to Zhujiajiao No.3 bus and get off at Mojiacun Station (莫家村). At the T-junction, a purple wooden board for Shanghai Ancol Dreamland Herb Farm will show you the way.
2. Chongming Island Zihailuyuan Romantic Garden (崇明岛紫海鹭缘浪漫庄园)
Located on Chongming Island, the third largest Chinese island, a distance of 800 meters from Dongping National Forest Park and covering an area of 133,333 square meters, Zihailuyuan Romantic Garden features “lavender aromatherapy, greenery, ecology and nature”.
It is a perfect resort for returning to nature, a multifunctional combination of ecological sightseeing, vacation tours, aromatherapy, regimen and entertainment. Provence lavender, cosmos, roses, Chinese roses, lotuses and many other flowers and herbs are planted there, as if you were in a wonderland of Eden.
In order to meet the needs of lovers, couples and newlyweds, some romantic scenic spots are specifically designed in the garden, such as the statue of Cupid, the statue of Venus, a wishing tree, a windmill, the ‘boat of love’ and ‘love at first sight’.
Activities to Do
Green riding: mountain bikes are offered in Zihailuyuan. Tourists can get closer to nature by riding bikes through boulevards, lanes and flower fields, enjoying the relaxing moment.
Lavender fields: the whole area of lavender fields is more than 26,667 square meters.
Picking park: fruits and vegetables there are free from chemical fertilizers and pesticides, so you can eat them with more reassurance. Different seasonal fruits and vegetables are offered: cucumbers, watermelons, sweet potatoes, corn, strawberries, golden melons, cherry tomatoes, green vegetables and bell peppers.
- Best times to visit: June to September
- Address: 2018, Beiyan Highway, Chongming County (崇明县北沿公路2018号) (Panlong Highway intersection, 蟠龙公路口)
- How to get there: go to the Nanmen Bus Station (南门汽车站), and take the Nantong Line to Dongping Store Station (东平商店).
3. Momchilovtsi Herb Garden (莫斯利安香草园)
It is located in Shanghai International Tourism and Resorts Zone and consists of both a south and north area. Covering an area of 300,000 square meters, the south area has the largest lavender garden in Shanghai. As it is close to Shanghai Disneyland, it is considered to be Disneyland's back garden. When in bloom, it looks like a purple ocean. The undulating terrain and breezes make this sea of lavender flowers romantic and amazing to see.
The Shanghai Lavender Festival
- Festival period: from April 27th to June 16th, 2019
Every year from April to June, the Shanghai Lavender Festival is held there. During the festival, there is not only a beautiful sea of flowers but also interesting parent-child activities, lovely pets, and a wide variety of food from all over the world.
- Best time to visit: April to June
- Address: Shendi East Road (申迪东路399弄187号)
- How to get there: Take Metro Line 11 to Disneyland Park Station, leave via Exit 3, and walk eastward for 500 meters.
4. Barbizon Vacation Resort (桐庐巴比松米勒庄园)
It is beside the Tonglu Daqishan National Forest Park, covering an area of more than 1,200 mu. The Barbizon Vacation Resort is a uniquely large-scale French-style resort located on the national golden tourist line "Hangzhou-Qiandao Lake-Huangshan Mountain". It owns an advantageous geographical position and has convenient transportation being just one kilometer from the Tonglu exit of the Hangzhou-Qiandao Lake Highway (杭千高速桐庐出口), and two kilometers away from Tonglu County.
With an area of almost 1,000 mu of lavender, the lavender fields there are the most beautiful and most famous ones around Hangzhou. The blooms begin in the middle of May.
Apart from lavender, other flowers are also worth seeing: sunflowers, cosmos, blue and pink sages, and colorful "rainbow fields" fill the whole summer. Other activities are also held in this European style garden: potting, fishing, riding horses, archery, go-carts, bumper boats and bonfire parties. Perfect for a leisurely weekend!
- Best times to visit: May to August
- Address: 1088, Qishan Road, near Daqishan National Forest Park, Tonglu County, Zhejiang (浙江桐庐县大奇山国家森林公园旁奇山路1088号)
5. Xuelang Mountain Ecological Park (雪浪山生态景观园)
Xuelang Mountain Ecological Park is located in Wuxi, being a 50-minute journey from Shanghai by high-speed train. Half of Xuelang Mountain is planted with lavender, covering an area of 130,000 square meters. Each lavender plant is about 40 or 50 centimeters high.
When in flower, it looks like a huge wave against the blue sky and white clouds. There are also other types of herbs and flowers: rosemary, yarrow, thyme, peppermint, carnations, and begonias. All kinds of flowers and plants create a colorful landscape there.
Other activities that are held in the park include karting, drifting on the water, and tea tasting.
- Best times to visit: May to June; September to October
- Address: 188 Yuanxi Road, Binhu District (无锡市雪浪街道缘溪道188号)
6. Guli Lavender Manor (谷里薰衣草庄园)
Guli Lavender Manor covers an area of 260,000 square meters and is located in a village in Nanjing, being a 2-hour journey from Shanghai by high-speed train. The special natural landform in the village forms a unique terraced lavender landscape. There are daisies and other kinds of flowers planted there too.
- Best time to visit: April to May
- Address: Datang Village, Guli Street, Jiangning District (江宁区谷里街道大塘金村)
Create a Colorful Trip with Us
If you have some new ideas or want to add some special activities to your trip, you can use our Create My Trip service to let us know. Our professional travel advisor will tailor-make a colorful trip for you.
You might be interested in: