Shanghai gives people an impression of tall buildings and busy business. It seems this is not a place for kids to have fun. Actually, this city has a lot for kids to explore. To enjoy a fun trip in Shanghai, please consider the following kid-centric activities. Click to see China's Top 7 Family Tour Destinations.
1. Have Fun at Disneyland Park — magical and enjoyable
Going to Disneyland is the dream of every kid. Take your children to Shanghai Disneyland Park. It is the first Disney theme park in Chinese mainland, which blends the magic of Disney and unique cultural elements of China.
There are six themed lands in Shanghai Disneyland Park: Mickey Avenue, Gardens of Imagination, Adventure Isle, Treasure Cove, Fantasyland, and Tomorrowland. It's an awesome place for the family to spend a happy time together.
- Address: in the core zone of Shanghai International Tourism and Resorts Zone, Chuansha New Town, Pudong New Area.
- Open: daily
- Time needed: a day
- Read more travel information about Shanghai Disneyland Park.
2. See an Acrobatics Show — Breathtaking Stunts
Enjoy some of the world's best acrobatics at Shanghai Circus World (上海马戏城). It is renowned as “China's No. 1 Circus World”. It's an ideal place for you to enjoy a happy time with your kids. The performances include dancing, juggling, and breathtakingly difficult stunts . Besides the acrobatics, your kids can also see the clown show, and animal performances with monkeys, lions, tigers, parrots, etc. It's much more interesting than a zoo.
- Address: Gonghexin Road 2266, Zhabei District (闸北区共和新路2266号)
- Show time: 1½ hours from 2:00pm on Saturday and Sunday
- Tips: Don't be late. No photos or filming during the performance.
- Recommended tour itinerary: 3-Day essence of Shanghai tour
- See more about Shanghai Circus World.
3. Walk in Fairy Tale — a World Made of Chocolate
Every kid likes sweet food and dreams of a world with only candy and chocolate. Shanghai Chocolate Happy Land (上海巧克力开心乐园) is a dream comes true for your kids. It's a chocolate castle for kids to explore. Your kids can see Hello Kitty, the Transformers, and many cartoon characters made of chocolate. Besides, there is a kitchen for your kids to make chocolate dessert.
- Address: Zone C, Shanghai Expo Site 100, Bocheng Road, Pudong District (浦东新区博成路100号)
- Open: 9:00am – 5:00pm daily
- Time needed: half a day
4. Travel in a Sidecar — Unique and Flexible
Want to have a special memory with your kids in Shanghai? A sidecar tour is what you are looking for. Guided by a qualified and experienced motorcyclist, you and your kids can discover Shanghai in a different and exciting way. This is a good way to escape the crowds and enclosed environment of a bus/car. The tour itinerary is flexible — discovers the historic sights and modern landmarks you want to.
- Time needed: 2–4 hours
- Tips: Children should be above 10 to take the sidecar.
5. Visit the Kingdom of Insects — All Kinds of Wild Insects
If your kids are interested in beautiful butterflies or creepy crawlies, Shanghai Natural Wild Insect Kingdom (上海大自然野生昆虫馆) is the best places for them to explore. The Oriental Pearl TV Tower is just around the corner. There are many insects there that you may have never seen before. Your kids can also see other animals like snakes, turtles, lizards, etc.
- Address: 1 Fenghe Road, Lujiazui, Pudong New District, Shanghai (上海浦东新区陆家嘴丰和路1号)
- Open: 9:00am – 5:00pm, Monday–Thursday; 9:00am – 5:30pm, Friday–Sunday and national holidays
- Time needed: half a day
- Read more details about Shanghai Natural Wild Insect Kingdom.
6. Enjoy Indoor Skating — Safe and Interesting
If your kids want a fun break and are skaters, or willing to try ice skating, there is an ice rink for kids in Shanghai — New World Ice Rink (新世界冰上乐园). It's in the New World Department Store, where parents can shop while the kids enjoy indoor skating. It's not as big as an outdoor ice rink, but safer for kids to have fun.
- Address: 6th floor, New World Department Store, 2-68 Nanjing Xi Road, Huangpu District (黄浦区南京西路2-68号新世界城6楼)
- Open: 9:30am – 10pm (closes for ice-cleaning 1:30–2pm and 5–5:30pm)
- Time needed: half day
- Tips: Protective clothing is included in the admission fee — particularly recommended for beginners.
7. Take a Cruise — Beautiful Landscape and Leisure Time
The night view of the Bund and modern buildings in the Pudong New District is fantastic. After a day touring Shanghai, go see the Bund at its best and cruise on Huangpu River with your family — an unmissable part of a Shanghai tour. This activity is great for everyone. Take a break from walking and have a short boat ride along the Huangpu River.
- Open: 9:30am–9:30pm; boats leave every half hour
- Time needed: one hour
Enjoy a Hassle Free Shanghai Family Tour with China Highlights
In Shanghai you can enjoy an unforgettable holiday with your family! See our tours for inspiration:
See our tours for inspiration:
- 3-Day Essence of Shanghai and Xitang Water Town Tour
- 9-Day Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai tour — the classic China family tour
- See more Shanghai Tours and Family Tours.
Your tour can be tailor-made…
All China Highlights' Shanghai tours are fully customizable to your requirements. We can help you to tailor-make a family-friendly tour of Shanghai without any consultancy cost.
Back to China Family Travel Guide.