Baofeng Lake is about 20 km (12.5 mi) southeast of Zhangjiajie National Forest Park. It is a calm lake surrounded by mountains covered with trees.
It is one of the few relaxing attractions in Zhangjiajie, which you can visit after a long day of mountain hiking in Zhangjiajie National Forest Park or Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon (where the glass bridge is located).
- Chinese: 宝峰湖 Bǎofēng Hú /baoww-fnng hoo/ 'Treasure Peak Lake'
- Popular activities: Take a leisurely boat, photography
- Suited to: anyone, especially nature lovers
- Time needed: 2 hours
- Entrance fee: 96 yuan
What to See
Baofeng Lake is in a basin created by the terrain in the middle of the mountainous area. Green trees and stone peaks of various shapes surround the lake.
At the lake you can take a boat ride for 30 minutes. It is a leisurely experience as you boat on the clear water, see the reflection of the marvelous stone peaks and green trees, and enjoy entertainment by the local minority people as they sing their traditional songs.
Thin Strip of Sky
Thin Strip of Sky (Yixian Tian), less than an average of four meters wide, is another wonderful attraction. Only a thin strip of the sky can be seen from the bottom of the valley, which resembles a long, thin silk thread. The length, narrowness, and depth here are rare for national scenic spots.
Located at the mouth of the Baofeng Lake, Baofeng Waterfall pours down in midair for a hundred meters with thunderous sound.
Baofeng Temple is surrounded by verdant hills. It is a place to learn about the local religious culture after you enjoy the natural beauty.
The Best Times for a Visit - Spring and Fall
The best times to visit Baofeng Lake are April and May, and September and October when the weather is comfortable and the trees are verdant or in fall hues.
How to Get There
- From Zhangjiajie National Forest Park: First take a bus at the gate of Zhangjiajie National Forest Park to Wulingyuan Town.
- From Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge: First take the Grand Canyon – Wulingyuan (大峡谷–武陵源) bus at the gate, taking about 40 minutes.
- From Wulingyuan Town: Take public bus 2 to Baofeng Lake, taking about 10 minutes.
- Zhangjiajie National Forest Park became China's first national forest park in 1982. It features pristine natural scenery of tapering peaks and dense forest.
- Yellow Dragon Cave is one of the largest karst caves in China. It boasts underground streams, fantastic rocky shapes, and huge caverns.
- Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge is the world's longest and highest glass-bottomed bridge.
- 6 Days Zhangjiajie Tour from Shanghai
- 9 Days Minority Discovery in Zhangjiajie and Guizhou
- 6 Day Essence of Guangzhou and Zhangjiajie Tour
Touring Baofeng Lake with Us
Baofeng Lake is great place to enjoy some leisurely time after your visit to Zhangjiajie National Forest Park or Grand Canyon Glass Bridge.
We have designed an itinerary for your reference: 1-Day Glass Bridge & Baofeng Lake Tour.
You can extend it with an extra day to the National Park or Fenghuang Ancient Town, where the daytime is picturesque and charming, and the night is lively. Here is a sample tour for your reference: 7-Day Hunan Highlights Tour.
The above tour ideas are very flexible. We can create your own trip based on your requirements and interests.