Guangzhou Muslim Restaurants
Long famous for its remarkable Cantonese cuisine, Guangzhou now has a lot more to offer: cuisine being no exception. Muslim cuisine in China ranges from delicious Chinese dishes to appetizing Arab and Turkish cuisine to the spicy and fragrant South Asian dishes. Here are some of the renowned Muslim restaurants offering halal food in Guangzhou.
Chinese Halal Food in Guangzhou
There are many restaurants that serve Chinese halal food. The Xinjiang Uighur cuisine is quite popular with the characteristic aroma of the barbequed kebabs being felt from afar. The traditional hand-pulled noodles are another favorite. Lanzhou lamian ('pulled noodles') restaurants can be seen in many places and this makes it easy for Muslims to find a place to dine almost anywhere in the city.
Following are five of the popular Chinese Muslim restaurants in Guangzhou.
1. Xinyue Muslim Restaurant
Xinyue Muslim Restaurant has a great reputation for its Muslim dishes such as Xinjiang-style braised chicken and self-made yogurt. The mutton and other main supplies are flown into Guangzhou ensuring their freshness and better taste. The restaurant is brilliantly furnished with Muslim ornaments, glittery chandeliers, white dining chairs, and is characterized by good service and sanitary conditions. There are singing and dancing performances in Xinjiang style in the evenings to entertain the guests.
- Chinese name: 新粤穆斯林餐厅 Xinyue Musilin Canting
- Recommended dishes: Mutton kebab (羊肉串), roast lamb leg (烤羊腿), Xinjiang rice (手抓饭), bean jelly (凉粉), roast whole lamb (烤全羊), deep-fried tower-shape cake (油塔子), and roast lamb chop in west region style (沙漠羊排).
- Average price per person: 77 yuan
- Address: Floor 3 Xinjiang Mansion, 76 Tianhe North Road, Tianhe District (天河区天河北路76号新疆大厦3楼)
- Tel: 020-38782783, 020-38782872
- Transportation: Take bus 6, 32, 122A, 122, 133, 136, 183, 185, 191, 209, or 256 and get off at Shidai Guangchang (Times Square/时代广场).
2. Nur Bostan Restaurant
Nur Bostan's tasty Muslim cuisine such as mutton kebab and Xinjiang-style braised chicken fascinates travelers. The dishes here maintain their Arabian food style by primarily using lamb, onion, carrot, black pepper and by using cooking methods such as roasting, deep-frying, and boiling. The distinguishing feature of this restaurant is its magnificent Turkish decor. The beautiful mosaics on the floor, the wooden tables and chairs in the garden together with Arabian music create a fine atmosphere for relaxation. The floor show is held at 7:30 PM each night.
- Chinese name: 努尔博斯坦伊斯兰餐厅 Nu'er Bositan Yisilan Canting
- Recommended dishes: Noodles in sautéed sliced mutton with onion, hot pepper and tomato (过油拌面), yoghurt (酸奶), Xinjiang rice (手抓饭), roast lamb chops (烤羊排), steamed fish (清蒸鱼), and stewed lamb chops in clear soup (清炖羊排).
- Average price per person: 63 yuan
- Address: Unit 7, Floor 1, Tianhehui, 160 Tianhe Straight Street, Tianhe District (天河区天河直街160号天河汇1楼7铺)
- Tel: 020-38867311, 020 -38867322
- Transportation: Take bus 30, 50, 51, 51a, 78, 122, 122a, 183, 209, 256, or 303 and get off at Guangzhou Dadao Zhong (广州大道中).
Guangta Branch (努尔博斯坦伊斯兰餐厅 光塔路店):
- Average price per person: 40 yuan
- Address: 43 Guangta Road, Yuexiu District. 越秀区光塔路43号
- Tel: 020-81874919
- Bus routes: Take bus 56 or 58 and get off at Guangta Lu (光塔路).
3. Bogda Paradise Restaurant
Its special roast whole lamb is highly recommended for its featured golden color, crispy outside and tender inside, and incredible flavor. The restaurant creates a natural environment that attracts travelers by integrating artificial green leaves suspended from the ceiling with white dining chairs, patterned tablecloths, and soft lighting.
- Chinese name: 博格达美食乐园 Bogeda Meishi Leyuan
- Recommended dishes: Mutton kebab (羊肉串), Xinjiang style braised chicken (大盘鸡), grilled bun (烤包子), lamb chops (羊排), milk tea (奶茶), mutton soup (羊肉汤), deep-fried tower-shape cake (油塔子), mutton soup (羊肉汤), steamed cold rice noodles (凉皮), and fried lamb chops with cumin (孜然羊排).
- Average price per person: 73 yuan
- Address: Floor 2, Xinjiang Mansion, 76 Tianhe North Road, Tianhe District (天河区天河北路76号新疆大厦2楼)
- Tel: 020-38782778, 020-38782780
- Transportation: Take bus 122A, 122, 133, 136, 183, 185, 191, or 209 and get off at Shidai Guangchang (Times Square/时代广场).
4. Brother Muslim Restaurant
Brother Muslim Restaurant primarily offers a variety of special delicacies, such as roast whole lamb, yogurt, and Xinjiang braised chicken. The dishes are seasoned with a special ingredient, making them famous and delicious. The restaurant is decorated in a traditional Muslim style and the pendant lamp at the entrance adds glory to the dining hall. In addition, the ethnic decorations, enchanting Uygur music and Uygur waters create a nice environment providing a fine ambiance for a meal.
- Chinese name: 兄弟穆斯林美食餐厅 Xiongdi Musilin Canting
- Recommended dishes: Mutton kebab (羊肉串), yogurt (酸奶), roast mutton kebab (烤羊肉串), Xinjiang braised chicken (大盘鸡), sweetbread soup (羊杂汤), Xinjiang-style braised lamb chops with naan bread (馕包肉), Xinjiang rice (手抓饭), lamb chops in western region style (沙漠羊排), and grilled bun (烤包子).
- Average price per person: 48 yuan
- Address: Unite 65, Section C, Dongdu Big World Office Building, 475 Huanshi East Road, Yuexiu District (越秀区环市东路475号东都大世界C区65号铺)
- Tel: 020-87626466
- Transportation: Take subway line 5 and get off at the Dongwu Gongyuan (动物公园).
Brother Muslim Restaurant Dongfeng West Road Branch (兄弟穆斯林餐厅 东风西路店):
- Average price per person: 47 yuan
- Address: Floor 1, Liuhuang Square, Dongfeng West Road, Yuexiu District (越秀区东风西路流花广场首层)
- Tel: 020-81054221
- Transportation: Take bus 12, 105, 114, 133, 134, 196, or 215 and get off at the Dongfeng Xi Lu (东风西路).
5. Hui People Restaurant
The Hui people (Huimin) are a Chinese Muslim ethnicity. Huimin Restaurant is an old restaurant that is popular with Chinese and foreign Muslim travelers.
It offers Muslim-style dishes, seafood, and breakfast. Its moderate price and large servings make it an affordable option for diners, and its offerings include tasty dishes and snacks on special offers that guests enjoy. Huimin Fandian is one of the famous restaurants of Guangzhou.
- Chinese name: 回民饭店 Huimin Fandian
- Recommended dishes: Sautéed calf ribs (牛仔骨), steamed BBQ mutton bun (羊叉包), fried pancake with green onion (葱油饼), sweetbread soup (牛羊杂汤), braised young pigeon in brown sauce (红烧乳鸽), braised chicken (烧鸡), chow mein (炒面), date cake (红枣糕), and dumplings stuffed with sautéed shredded beef with ginger shoots (姜汁牛肉饺).
- Average price per person: 45 yuan
- Address: 325 Six Zhongshan Road, Yuexiu District. 越秀区中山六路325号（近地铁西门口站）
- Tel: 020-81303991, 020-81888414
- Transportation: Take subway line 1 and get off at Ximenkou (西门口), leaving from Exit A, or take bus 74, 88, 107, 109, 250, or 527 and get off at the Ximenkou (西门口).
Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Turkish
Located in a line of Muslim restaurants, this is a popular choice for many. It serves a large collection of dishes from starters and salads to a variety of kebabs, main dishes, and desserts. You can have a taste of tabouleh salad, hummus, lahmacun, doner kebabs, kibbeh and Turkish hotpot among many other dishes. There is a separate place for prayer.
- Price Range: 80 RMB per person
- Open: 10:00 am to 1:00 am
- Address: 9 Zhaoqing Building, 304 Huanshi Zhong Road Yuexiu District, Guangzhou (越秀区环市中路304号肇庆大厦首层9号铺)
- Telephone: 020 8356 3578
- Transportation: Line 5, Xiaobei Metro station. Get off at Exit A and walk straight ahead. There is a line of Muslim restaurants and you can locate this one easily.
Other Arab/Turkish Restaurants in this same area are Bophorus Turkish, Rafidien, Andalus and Shami House
7. Shahrayar Café
Shahrayar Café is an Arabian style coffee shop that offers coffee, special Arabian style food, and Western food. The dishes here are delicious and have a fine color and flavor.
The shop is decorated with exquisite ornaments such as crystal chandeliers and colored lights in eastern and western styles. The uniqueness of the atmosphere is enhanced by the Arabian music and Middle Eastern television programs.
- Chinese name: 萨嘻逊咖啡厅 Saxisun Kafei Ting
- Recommended dishes: Pizza, chips.
- Average price per person: 35 yuan
- Address: 128 Dongfeng West Road, Yuexiu District. 越秀区东风西路128号
- Tel: 020-81060557
- Transportation: Take bus 29, 88, 105, 114, 133, 134, 196, or 215 and get off at Dongfeng Xi Lu (东风西路).
Some smaller restaurants offer Pakistani/Indian halal food which is loved by many for its unique cuisine full of spice and flavor. The delicious karahi (meat curry), pulao and biryani (rice cooked with meat), kebabs and spicy daal (lentils) are famous dishes unique to this cuisine.
8. Al Madina
Al Madina restaurant located in a busy trading area is one such restaurant. It is quite small and crowded but is popular among Pakistani, Indian, African and Chinese people.
- Price range 50 RMB per person
- Address: Al-Madina Restaurant Shop 15, Xiushan Lou Guangyuan Building #66, Guangyuan Xi Lu, Guangzhou China
- Open: 10:00 am to 12:00 pm
- Telephone: 020-36593663
- Transportation: About 10 minutes walk from Guangzhou railway station, Exit D2
Another branch is in Deng Feng hotel at Xiatang, Xiaobei.
Other Muslim restaurants in the vicinity (Sanyuanli area) are Ka Shiteshi, Qinghai Muslim restaurant, and Makkah Restaurant.
Touring Guangzhou with Us
Once Guangzhou was a dreary business city for wholesale shoppers, now it is a tourist destination in it own right with megascale Chimelong multi-them-park resort, Canton Tower, and some of the world's tallest observation decks/tower/mall complexes.
We can help you discover the new Guangzhou.
Discover the best of Guangzhou and China with one of our recommended Guangzhou itineraries:
- 4-Day Essence of Guangzhou and Shenzhen Tour
- The Grand Foodies Tour chomps its way across China from Beijing through Chengdu to Guangzhou.