Tiger Hill, also known as Surging Sea Hill, is a famous scenic area in Suzhou, attracting visitors with a number of historical sites and its natural beauty. It is said that "it would be a pity if you had been to Suzhou but didn't go to visit Tiger Hill".
Legend has it that three days after the burial of He Lu, the king of the Wu State (a small state in the Spring and Autumn Period, thousands of years ago), a white tiger appeared on the hill to guard it, hence its name.
- Chinese: 虎丘 Hŭ Qiū /hoo chyoh/ 'Tiger Hill'
- Area: 19 hectares (47 acres)
- Age: over 2,500 years
- Popular activities: walking, photography
- Suited to: everyone, especially those who love traditional Chinese architecture and gardens
- Time needed: 2–3 hours
The Highlights You Should Not Miss
Tiger Hill scenic area is an ancient hill park with precious cultural relics, tombs of ancient kings, pagodas, temples, and scenic spots with beautiful landscapes.
Tiger Hill Pagoda
At the top of the hill, the octagonal Tiger Hill Pagoda (also called Yunyan Pagoda) has a history of more than 1,000 years and is a landmark of Suzhou City.
The pagoda has seven floors with a total height of 47 meters (154 feet). It began tilting over 400 years ago and, today, the highest point is more than 2 meters from its original position.
It is nicknamed the 'Leaning Tower of China', and was built earlier than the Leaning Tower of Pisa. For safety reasons, visitors are not allowed to enter the pagoda.
If you are interested in exquisite bonsai, you should not miss Wanjing Villa. It is a garden full of potted landscapes and "bonsai-style" shrubs. In a pot, the ingenious craftsmen created a miniature replica of a full-sized garden using stunted trees and plants, rocks, and sometimes water.
There are many other attractions in the Tiger Hill scenic area, including Sword Testing Stone, Sword Pool, Lu Yu Well, and Thousand Men Rock. Each of them has its own legend and story.
The Best Times for a Visit
The best times to visit Tiger Hill are in spring and fall. In spring, the park is dotted with green trees and blossoming flowers. In fall, the weather is pleasant and you may have the chance to join in with a temple fair.
You are recommended to visit it on a weekday as it will be less crowded than on a weekend.
Travel Essentials for Planning a Trip
- Location: 8 Mennei Street, Huqiu District, Suzhou
- Transport: Take bus 32, 146, 816, or 949 and get off at Huqiu Station.
- Open: 7:30am–5:30pm
- Entrance fee: 80 yuan (Apr 16–Oct 31); 60 yuan (Nov 1–Apr 15)
- Humble Administrator's Garden: It the largest and most renowned classical landscape garden in Suzhou.
- Lingering Garden: It is a classic example of the Qing Dynasty's garden landscaping.
- Master of the Nets Garden: It is the smallest yet the most delicate landscape garden in Suzhou City.
Tour Tiger Hill with China Highlights
Tiger Hill is a historical site with a rich history and culture. It will be more interesting to visit it with a professional guide. We are more than happy to offer a guide service and to tailor-make a tour for you.
See our most popular Suzhou tours, for inspiration:
- Suzhou Classic Gardens Day Trip: This tour covers the most famous and classic gardens in Suzhou.
- 2-Day Essential Suzhou and Tongli Water Town: This tour perfectly combines the World Heritage gardens and charming water towns.
- 5-Day Shanghai, Suzhou, Hangzhou Tour: This tour offers the best of the three most important cities in the Yangtze Delta.
We have many more popular tour products and our tours can be customized. If you are not interested in the above tours, you can just tell us your interests and requirements, and China Highlights will create a China tour for you.