1. Yanta District
Silk Road Restaurant
Famous for its specialty, stewed tender mutton with naan, this restaurant mainly serves fresh halal food, a little fatty but not greasy.
Besides tasty dishes, the restaurant is also well-known for the views. Sitting by the windows on the second floor, you can see Tang Dynasty style wooden buildings decorated by cornice brackets, carved beams, and painted rafters.
Owing to its location, it is very convenient to dine here after visiting the Big Wild Goose Pagoda, a famous scenic spot in Xi'an.
- Chinese name: 丝路餐厅 Silu Canting
- Average price per person: 43 yuan
- Address: 24 to 28 Datang Yitong Lane, Wei'er East Street, Yanta District （雁塔区纬二街东段大唐通易坊24-28号）
- Tel: 029-85263599
- Transportation: Take bus 26, 27, 408, 503, 527, 710, 720, 722, or Ping'an Special Line, and get off at Yanta West Road (雁塔西路).
Mukamu Muslim Restaurant
The restaurant is in a beautiful and fresh environment, near the Yongyang Park, where you can see lotuses blossoming. The restaurant is known for the performances by people from Xinjiang.
The prices here are reasonable, the portions are quite generous, and food is of good quality. Its specialties are: naan bread, Xinjiang rice, and braised chicken with potatoes and green peppers.
- Chinese name: 木卡姆新疆饭店 Mukamu Xinjiang Fandian
- Average price per person: 42 yuan
- Address: Floor 1, No.3 Building, Zhangba Road, Yanta District (雁塔区丈八路3号楼1层)
- Tel: 029-8858 0660
- Transportation: Take bus 261, 324, 411, or 710, and get off at Physical Training Center (体育训练中心).
They say good food needs no advertising, proved by Xinjiang Restaurant. Although at an inconspicuous spot, inside the Xinjiang District, the food is still known to many people.
All the food, such as the barbecued lamb shashlik, flavorful braised chicken with potatoes and green peppers, and tasty Xinjiang rice; and decorations in Xinjiang style, show authentic Xinjiang lifestyle.
- Chinese name: 新疆饭店 Xinjiang Fandian
- Average price per person: 50 yuan
- Address: Xinjiang District, 3 Red Cross Lane, Xincheng District （新城区红十字会巷3号新疆办事处）
- Tel: 029-8768 1666, 8768 1667
- Transportation: Take bus 16, 251, 502, 601, 619, 702, 706, or k46, and get off at Xincheng Road (新城路).
2. Xincheng District
Different from other Muslim restaurants, which mainly serve halal food in Chinese style, food here is Moroccan style.
Famous dishes include couscous and d?ner kebab, and for drink, mint tea. Besides its exquisite Middle Eastern style food, the colorful decorations and geometric pattern design of the restaurant form an exotic atmosphere.
The most unique feature is washing of hands with rose petals, in accordance with the cleanliness doctrine of Islam.
- Chinese Name: 摩洛哥清真餐厅 Moluoge Qingzhen Canting
- Average price per person: 180 yuan
- Address: Yagao People's Mansion, 323 Dongxin Street, Xincheng District (新城区东新街323号雅高人民大厦)
- Tel: 029-8792 8888
- Transportation: Take bus 4, 15, 16, 32, 46, 251, 502, 601, 603, or 702, and get off at Xincheng Square (新城广场).
3. Lianhu District
The Mi Family Kitchen
Unlike other similar restaurants, the The Mi Family Kitchen restaurant serves home cooking rather than restaurant style food.
Therefore, the main specialties are snacks, like braised beef with soy sauce (酱牛肉), braised chicken feet (卤鸡爪), and various cold dishes (凉菜). The stewed dishes are also tasty and fresh.
As the restaurant is in a home, the atmosphere is homely, quiet, and easygoing; you can watch TV, access Wi-Fi, or play cards with your friends before dishes are served.
- Chinese Name: 米家小厨 Mijia Xiaochu
- Average price per person: 32 yuan
- Address: Room 902, Xilan Residential Area A, 212 North Laodong Road, Lianhu District (莲湖区劳动路北段212号西缆小区A座202室)
- Tel: 18220535948, 1809233332
- Transportation: Take bus 12, 24, 45, 102, 118,222, 303, 310,504, 624, 703, or 6006.
San De Long Halal Restaurant
Adhering to the essence of traditional cuisine and shouldering the responsibility of upholding food culture, San De Long was established in 2005 and today holds the reputation as one of Xi'an's best Muslim restaurants.
All dishes served at San De Long integrate elements of local Chinese cuisine, which helps the establishment appeal to a wider demographic and promotes the branding of ethnic food. This results in some truly unique and flavorful halal dishes which not only tastes good but also contributes to the continuous growth and development of the local halal food scene.
- Chinese Name: 清真三德隆饭庄 Qingzhen San Delong Fanzhuang
Recommended dishes:Sizzling chicken with soybean sauce (铁板豉汁滑鸡), sweet and sour beef (糖醋里脊), and boiled beef (水煮牛肉).
- Average price per person: ¥65 or about 9 USD
- Address: 219 West Street, Lianhu District (莲湖区西大街219号)
- Tel: 029-87288816
- Transportation: Bus 4, 15, 23, 31, 43, or 45 to Qiao zi Kou Stop (桥梓口). The restaurant is about a 4-minute walk from the stop.
Hui Wen Ren Jia Restaurant
Situated in the city center, Hui Wen Ren Jia can be found by the Xi'an Drum Tower. Beef and mutton are very popular among Muslims, so the meats are featured in most of the restaurant's dishes, including crumbled flatbread in mutton stew, mutton kebabs, and beef kebabs.
Additionally, Osmanthus persimmon cakes, roujiamo (Chinese hamburger), glutinous rice with jujube, dumplings stuffed with hot gravy, and lamb/beef ball vegetable stew are also popular among visitors to Hui Wen Ren Jia.
- Chinese Name: 回文人家·回坊大牌档 Huiwen Renjia Hui Fang Dapaidang
Recommended dishes:Soup dumplings (灌汤包), roasted whole chicken (葫芦鸡), and stewed mutton with naan (馕包肉).
- Average price per person: ¥80
- Address: 111 Bei Yuan Men, Lianhu District (莲湖区北院门111号)
- Tel: 029-87211466
- Transportation: Bus 4, 12, 26, 36, 37, 229 to Zhong Lou Bei (钟楼北). The restaurant is about a 7-minute walk from the stop.
Wu Yun Feng Innovative Halal Cuisine Restaurant
Wu Yun Feng is located at the intersection between Bei Yuan Men street and the Muslim street. Serving a variety of halal dishes and local snacks, the restaurant has a reputation for high-quality food among both locals and visitors alike.
The spiciness of most dishes can easily be customized to suit any diner's tastes, so there's no need to worry if you're not too keen on spicy food. The restaurant's impeccable décor and the professionally trained, yet caring and gentle wait staff will make you feel right at home as you enjoy some of the best halal dishes Xi'an has to offer.
- Chinese Name: 清真五韵丰新派清真菜 Qingzhen Wu Yun Feng Xinpai Qingzhen Cai
Recommended dishes:Fried beef fillet with sesame (芝麻里脊), crispy fried sole fish (香酥龙利鱼), and roast mutton chops (秘制羊排).
- Average price per person: ¥70 or about 10 USD
- Address: North exit of Bei Yuan Men Street, Lianhu District (回民街北院门北口)
- Tel: 029-87373116
- Transportation: Bus 4, 12, 26, 36, or 37 to Zhong Lou Bei (钟楼北). The restaurant is about a 7-minute walk from the stop.
Taste Xi'an with China Highlights
Xi'an is home to a wide range of ethnic cultures and has transformed into one of the country's great culinary melting pots. Traveling with China Highlights gives you the chance to experience authentic local cuisine and takes the guesswork out of picking the best restaurants.