Zhangjiajie Hehua International Airport in Zhangjiajie, Hunan Province, is the only airport in the city home to the mountains made famous by Avatar, a buzzing tourist destination for domestic and international tourists alike.
This small airport serves Zhangjiajie, and served over 2.8 million passengers in 2020. It has capacity for up to 5 million, and there are expansions ongoing with a new terminal recently having opened.
With Zhangjiajie being a relatively small city, the airport is just 6 kilometers (or 4 miles) away from the city center and only 40 kilometers (or 25 miles) from Wulingyuan Scenic Area making it a convenient place to start and end your trip from.
- Chinese name: 张家界荷花国际机场 Zhangjiajie Hehua Guoji Jichang 'Zhangjiajie Lotus Flower Int'l Airport'
- Airport code: DYG
Domestic and International Zhangjiajie Flights
The airport serves both international and domestic hubs.
Its international routes fly into 7 international cities: Busan, Bangkok (both Suyvarnabhumi and Don Mueang), Ho Chi Minh City, Jakarta, Osaka, Seoul, and Taipei.
Domestically you can get to/from most major tourist spots:
- Beijing takes 4 hours and 35 minutes and costs approximately 1,200 yuan one-way.
- Changsha takes 55 minutes and costs approximately 750 yuan one way.
- Chengdu takes 1 hour and 40 minutes and costs approx 1,000 yuan one way.
- Guilin takes 1 hour and 10 minutes and costs approximately 940 yuan.
- Shanghai takes 1 hour and 50 minutes and costs approximately 1,450 yuan.
- Xi'an takes 1 hour and 25 minutes and costs approximately 750 yuan.
You'll also find flights to Changzhou, Chongqing, Dalian, Guangzhou, Guiyang, Haikou, Harbin, Hengyang, Jieyang, Jinan, Lanzhou, Nanjing, Nantong, Shenzhen, Shijiazhuang, Tianjin, Wenzhou, Yinchuan, Xining, Xuzhou, Zhengzhou.
[Note: this was updated in 2019]
Getting from Zhanjiajie Airport to Zhangjiajie City and Back
To get to Zhangjiajie City from Zhangjiajie Airport is simple: there are lots of taxis that will cost between 20 and 40 yuan. You may have to bargain a little as the drivers don't use meters.
You can also take bus number 4 which costs 2 yuan and operates between 6.30am and 9.30pm. It leaves from right outside the airport every 15 minutes.
China Highlights can also help arrange a transfer for you if this is easier. We can arrange a driver to take you to your hotel and back, for a hassle-free airport transfer! Just contact us here.
Getting to Wulingyuan (the National Park) and Back
To get to Wulingyuan Scenic Area, which includes Zhangjiajie National Forest Park, you can also take bus number 4 (for 2 yuan) to the Central Bus Station, where you can take a bus all the way to Wulingyuan Town for 12 yuan. Both of these buses operate between 6.30am and 9.30pm.
You can also take a taxi from Zhangjiajie Hehua Airport to Wulingyuan. This should set you back between 120 and 160 yuan.
China Highlights can also help arrange a transfer for you if this is easier or if you need help. We can arrange a driver to take you to the national park or your Wulingyuan hotel and back. Just contact us here.
- 1-Day Zhangjiajie National Forest Park Tour
- 1-Day Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge and Baofeng Lake Tour
Zhangjiajie Airport Tips
The best times to go to Zhangjiajie are when there are no public holidays in China, as it gets really busy, and when the weather is best.
Between September and early November, the weather is most comfortable. You can also go between April and June if you don't mind humidity and the occasional rain.
Chinese public holidays will lead to more expensive flights (and sold out flights), these times are:
- China's summer holiday season (July and August)
- Labor Day (May 1–3)
- National Day (October 1–7)
- Spring Festival (late January or early to mid February)
We recommend you get to the airport at least 2½ hours before departure, and 3 during peak times. There can be really long check-in and security lines during holidays and weekends.
- Beijing – Xi'an – Zhangjiajie – Guilin/Yangshuo – Shanghai
- Essence of Guangzhou and Zhangjiajie Tour
- Beijing – Xi'an – Zhangjiajie – Yangtze River – Shanghai
Touring Zhangjiajie with Us
Zhangjiajie is really a once-in-a-lifetime destination. We've got plenty of Zhangjiajie tours depending on how much time you have and how active you want to be.
And of course, tours can be tailored to your needs. Please contact us here if you've got any special requests or requirements.