If you’re only in Beijing for a limited amount of time, there might not be time to explore the dining scene by yourself. To save your thinking/research time, this guide gives you a list of 10 amazing restaurants that you will not regret visiting — with a variety of China’s top cuisines.
1. Qianmen Quanjude
Beijing roast duck — the most popular of Beijing dishes
When in Beijing, you mustn’t forget to try Peking roasted duck, and you won’t forget the experience. One of the most renowned restaurants to do so is Qianmen Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant.
This is one of the oldest restaurants in the capital, dating back to 1864, and they prepare a great Peking duck. Serving an annual 2 million Peking ducks to over 5 million customers, you know it is bound to be amazing.
- Chinese name : 全聚德烤鸭店 Quanjude Kaoya Dian /chwen-jyoo-der kaow-yaa dyen/ ‘Quanjude [name] Roast Duck Restaurant’
- Price : from CNY120/person
- Open : 11am–1:30pm and 4:30pm–8pm
- Recommended dishes: Quanjude roast duck (全聚德精品烤鸭), roast duck bone soup (鸭架汤), fried mushroom and shrimp balls (宫爆鲜菌虾球)
- Address : 30 Qianmen Street, Chongwen District 崇文区前门大街 30 号
- Tel : 010-65112418
- Transportation: If you are taking the subway get off at Exit B at Qianmen Station (前门站)on Line 2.
2. Din Tai Fung Restaurant
Din Tai Fung Restaurant
Din Tai Fung is part of a worldwide chain specializing in dumplings. The quality of the service and food is high, and its Taiwanese origins ensure that it is foreigner friendly and the prices are reasonable.
The menu has English translations, featuring loads of pictures for easy browsing if this is one of your first experiences with dumplings.
- Chinese name: 鼎泰丰 Dintaifeng /din-teye-fnng/
- Address : 24 Xinyuan Xili Middle Street, Chaoyang District (朝阳区新源西里中街 24 号)
- Open : 10am-2pm；5pm-10pm
- Recommended dishes: featured steamed buns (特色小笼包), pork and vegetable wontons (菜肉馄饨), shrimp fried rice (虾仁炒饭)
- Price : from CNY100/person
- Tel : 010-64624502
- Transportation : Get off at Dongzhimen Station (东直门站) on Line 2, and take Exit B1. Transfer to bus 401 to reach Dongwaixie Street Station (东外斜街站).
3. Hai Di Lao
The hotpot in Haidilao
For the best, and safest, hotpot in town, Hai Di Lao is a no brainer. It’s a huge chain with multiple branches, has excellent quality ingredients, makes the country’s most famous hotpot sauce, and has great service.
We recommend ordering the fresh noodles — they’re stretched right at your table for great entertainment (and a photo opportunity)!
- Chinese name: 海底捞 Haidilao /hi-dee-laow/ ‘sea bottom fish-up’
- Address : 8 Gongti North Road, Sanlitun, Chaoyang District (朝阳区三里屯工体北路8号)
- Open: 9am-0am
- Recommended dishes: crispy meat (酥肉), smooth shrimp (虾滑), needle mushrooms (金针菇), fresh noodles (手拉面), mango sticky rice (芒果糯米饭)
- Price : from CNY150/person
- Tel : 010-6595 2982
- Transportation : Use subway Line 6 to get to Dongdaqiao Station (东大桥).
4. Shanshui Jian Yang-Xiezi Hotpot
This restaurant, located in Longtan Park, is a great place to check out Sichuan cuisine if you want to have hotpot, but also some regular dishes.
Their hotpot broth is cooked using an array of local ingredients, and the atmosphere is one traditional of restaurants like these, making for an authentic experience.
- Chinese name : 山水间羊蝎子火锅 Shanshui Jian Yangxiezi Huoguo /shan-shway jyen yang-sshyeah-dzuh hwor-gwor/ ‘hill-water (scenery) among lamb-scorpion hotpot’
- Price : from CNY70/person
- Open : 10:30am-9:30pm
- Recomended dishes: Lamb Scorpion hot pot (羊蝎子火锅)
- Address : 22 Longtan Road, Dongcheng District (东城区龙潭路 22 号)
- Tel : 010-67149700
- Transportation : Take bus 60 and get off at Longtan Park Station (龙潭公园).
5. King’s Joy Beijing
chinese vegetarian food
King's Joy is undoubtedly one of the best vegetarian restaurants in town. The dishes are made using the freshest vegetables and ingredients, generally from close by organic farms or from the special regions they hail from.
The restaurant is conveniently located close to Yonghegong Lama Temple and thus conveniently follows a visit to the temple.
- Chinese name: 京兆尹, Jingzhaoyin /jing-jaow-yin/
- Address : 2 Wudaoying Hutong, Dongcheng District (东城区五道营胡同2号)
- Open: 11:30am–1:30pm; 2pm–4:30pm; 5:30pm–9:30pm
- Recommended dishes: sweet and sour lotus root (糖醋藕小排), stir-fried Collybia albuminosa, asparagus and Chinese yam (鸡枞菌芦笋炒山药), matsutake soup (松茸汤), mung bean cake with jujube paste (枣泥绿豆糕)
- Price : over 250 yuan per person
- Tel : 010-84049191
- Transportation : Take Subway Line 2 or 5 and get off at Yonghegong Lama Temple Station. Take Exit D to the west.
6. Jin Ding Xuan
Established in 1998, Jin Ding Xuan Restaurant is somewhat of an iconic restaurant, serving Cantonese cuisine, as well as some Sichuan and Shandong dishes.
It is open 24/7, and you’ll have to queue if you choose to go during lunch or dinner times, but the delicious food and buzzing atmosphere make it a worthwhile experience.
Don’t forget to grab a picture of the outside, as its designed to look like a large Chinese temple.
- Chinese name: 金鼎轩 Jin Ding Xuan /tjin-ding-hsywen/ ‘gold pot pavilion’
- Address : 77 Hepingli Street, Dongcheng District 东城区和平里西街 77 号
- Open: 24 hours
- Recommended dishes: crystal shrimp dumplings (水晶虾饺皇), minced pork congee with preserved egg (皮蛋瘦肉粥), steamed spare ribs in black bean sauce (豉汁蒸排骨)
- Price : from CNY 100/person
- Tel : 010-64296699
- Transportation : Using the subway, get to Yonggegong Lama Temple Station (雍和宫站) using either Line 2 or Line 5. Exit through Entrance A and you’ll have to walk for about 360m.
7. Choy's Seafood Restaurant
Choy’s Seafood Restaurant is a trendsetting seafood restaurant featuring Cantonese and Sichuan cuisine. Delicious food, delicate dishes, and relaxing surroundings make it a great place to taste traditional Chinese cuisine. It provides English menus for ease of ordering.
- Chinese name: 彩海轩中餐厅, Caihaixuan Zhongcanting /tseye-hi-sshwen jong-tsan-ting/
- Address : 2/F Marriott Hotel, Haihang Mansion, 26A Xiaoyun Road, Chaoyang District, next to the US Embassy (霄云路甲26号海航大厦万豪酒店2楼, 靠近美国大使馆)
- Open : 11:30am–2:30pm; 5:30pm–10:30pm
- Recommended dishes: steamed sea bass (清蒸石斑鱼), crispy egg noodles with abalone sauce (鲍汁干烧伊面), stir-fried rice noodles with beef (干炒牛河), sweetened red bean paste with lotus seeds (莲子红豆沙)
- Price : 193 yuan per person
- Tel : 010-59278320
- Transportation : Take or transfer to Line 10 to get to Sanyuanqiao Station (三元桥站) and take Exit C2. Walk for 20 minutes to get there.
8. Dali Courtyard
This charming little courtyard restaurant is one of the city’s most unique outdoor venues. It brings the fresh flavors of Yunnan Province all the way to Beijing.
It serves dishes like rubing (traditional grilled goat cheese), grilled chilli fish, spicy stir-fried mushrooms, “crossing-the-bridge noodles” (guoqiao mixian), fried shrimp and stir-fried wild vegetables (yecai).
The menu is fixed, so you don’t need to think about what to order. Cocktails and wine are available too. Advanced reservations are recommended, especially for the candle-lit outdoor terrace during the warmer months.
- Chinese name: 大理院子 Dali Yuanzi /daa-lee ywhen-dzuh/ ‘Dali [place] courtyard’
- Address : 67 Xiaojingchang Hutong, Gulou Dong Street, Dongcheng District 东城区鼓楼东大街小经厂胡同 67 号
- Open : 11am-9:30pm
- Recommended dishes: rubing (a traditional grilled goat’s cheese), grilled chili fish, spicy stir-fried mushrooms, “crossing-the-bridge noodles” (过桥米线), fried shrimp and stir-fried wild vegetables (野菜).
- Price : from CNY 160/person
- Tel : 010-84041430.
- Transportation : Take Subway Line 2 to Guloudongdajie Station (鼓楼东大街).
9. Huajia Yiyuan — Hua’s Restaurant
Hua Jia Yi Yuan has three branches each with their own specialty.
The Guijie (Ghost Street) Restaurant is simple and unsophisticated, the giant transparent ceiling in the front courtyard is unique, and makes you feel as if you are in a garden while still being indoors. This is thus a great option for Beijing’s colder months.
- Chinese name: 花家怡园 Huajia Yiyuan /hwah-jyah ee-ywhen/ ‘flower family harmony garden’
- Address : 235 Dongzhimennei Street, Dongcheng District 北京市东直门内大街
- Open: 10:30am-4am
- Recommended dishes: freshwater grouper (桂花鱼), eight fathers roast duck (八爷烤鸭), Hua family cabbage (花家白菜)
- Price : from CNY 100/person
- Tel : 010-51283315.
- Transportation : Take Line 5 and get off at Beixinqiao Station (北新桥站). Take Exit B.
10. Black Sesame Kitchen
Black Sesame Kitchen is tucked away in a hutong and makes homemade dishes. The biggest difference between this restaurant and others is that you can see how each dish is made. It is a good, easy way to ease into Chinese food. It is beloved by many foreign tourists. You can enjoy a meal and chat to people from all over the world.
The staff don’t offer you a menu. The dishes available depend on whatever the chef decides to cook on the day. Make sure you make a reservation in advance as it is a reservation-only restaurant.
- Chinese name: 黑芝麻厨房, Heizhima Chufang /hay-jrr-mah choo-fung/
- Address : 28 Zhonglao Hutong, Dongcheng District (东城区中老胡同28号)
- Open : 7pm–10pm
- Recommended dishes: red braised pork (红烧肉), sweet and sour shrimp (糖醋虾), black sesame ice cream（黑芝麻冰淇淋）
- Price : 350 yuan per person
- Tel : 136 9147 4408
- Transportation : Take Line 5 to Dongsi Station and take Exit E. Walk for about 20 minutes to get there.
For Restaurants Tailored to Your Tastes, Travel with Us
Why not take a tailor-made tour especially focused on Chinese food? Our guides can help you understand the culture behind the food, and take you to the best places to sample Chinese cuisine.
- Our 13-day private tour itinerary takes you to some of China’s best places (Beijing, Xi’an, Chengdu, Guilin, Hong Kong) and best foods: get a really Broad Taste of China.
Need some help putting together a tour, but have very specific things in mind that you want to do or eat? We can tailor your own unique China experience.
Further Reading on Beijing Restaurants
Want to know more about food and drink in Beijing? We have many more pages on where to eat, categorized below for easy browsing:
Best Beijing Cuisine
Best Chinese Food in Beijing
Best Restaurants for Unusual Experiences in Beijing
Best for Dietary Restrictions
Western Food and Drink in Beijing
Best for Drinks as well as Food