Since December 28, 2017, Beijing has extended its visa-free transit policy from 72 hours to 144 hours, and expanded the visa-free area to include Tianjin and the neighboring Hebei province.
In other words, you can travel in Beijing, Tianjin, and Hebei for as many as 6 days without a visa. Here are some tips to help you maximize your stay.
The nationals of 53 countries are eligible for the visa exemption program, including the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, and New Zealand.
- Americans (of 6 countries): the United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and the Republic of Chile
- European citizens (of 39 countries): Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania, Belarus, and Monaco
- Oceanians (of 2 countries): Australia and New Zealand
- Asians (of 6 countries): South Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, the United Arab Emirates, and Qatar
Eligible Transit Ports
With this policy, you can not only travel within Beijing Municipality, but you can also cross into neighboring Tianjin Municipality or Hebei Province. These are the transit ports you may use:
Beijing: Beijing Capital International Airport, Beijing West Railway Station
Tianjin: Tianjin Binhai International Airport, Tianjin International Cruise Home Port
Hebei: Shijiazhuang Zhengding International Airport, Qinhuangdao Sea Port
Our transfer service makes it convenient for you to travel from Tianjin cruise port to Beijing.
- 6-Day Beijing Winter Tour with Skiing in a 2022 Olympic Winter Games Venue
- 1-Day Beijing Hutong Tour
Eligible Transit Route
This policy requires that passengers must be in transit to a third country or region. Passengers must have no stopovers of any kind within Chinese mainland prior to arrival or after departure at the port of Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei. Your itinerary should go like:
Departure Country A: → B: Beijing, Tianjin, Hebei → The Third Country C
For example: UK – Beijing– Australia
Hong Kong and Macau are considered to be third countries/regions for transit purposes, and you won’t need a visa for a short stay there either. You can include them in your itinerary.
For example: USA – Beijing (6 days) – Hong Kong – USA
If you are not eligible to use the policy, you can consider applying for a port visa in Beijing. Contact us to check whether you can apply for a port visa or not.
How to Apply
1) Inform your carrier of your intent to use 144-hour TWOV.
2) Fill in arrival and departure cards (available on flights).
3) Apply for the 144-hour visa-free stay at the dedicated counter on your arrival.
4) Claim your luggage, go through customs, and exit the airport.
5) Leave from a designated port within the required time.
See more information about China 144-Hour Visa-Free Policy.
How to Spend Your 144 Hours (6 Days)
Beijing’s main attractions are historical sites and cultural experiences. 6 days are plenty to cover the highlights of Beijing, and discover what interests you in Tianjin and Hebei.
The Highlights of Beijing
The most popular sites you shouldn't miss in Beijing are the Great Wall (a night tour to the Simatai section will give you a different and unique experience.), the Forbidden City, the Tian'anmen Square, the Summer Palace, the Temple of Heaven and the Hutongs.
Get more inspiration from our page:
Extend Your Trip to Tianjin or Hebei
Compared to the capital, Tianjin is a laid-back city featuring European-flavored neighborhoods. You can easily take a Tianjin day trip from Beijing.
You can also experience some quieter Hebei historical sites. You can see rarely-visited stretches of the Great Wall and stroll around ancient settlements and walled towns.
Our Most Popular Layover Tours
As your transit time is limited, you are recommended to book a private tour to enjoy hassle-free convenience, with expert help to make the most of your time.
We are glad to help tailor-make a Beijing tour for you. Here are two recommended itineraries that can be customized to your visa-free needs:
- 1 Day Beijing Great Wall Layover Tour(10 hours Layover): Make the most of your time to visit the Great Wall.
- 1 Day Beijing Layover Tour(15 hours Layover): Specially designed to be flexible, you will explore the Great Wall, Tian’anmen Square, and the Forbidden City.
- Private 4-Day Emperor's Tour of Beijing: Explore numerous historic wonders and treasures as well as huge imperial marvels.
- Visit our Beijing tour pages to see more private Beijing tour itineraries