Weather: August is still very hot in Beijing. The temperature may reach up to 38 °C (100 °F). The average low and high temperatures are 22 °C (72 °F) and 32 °C (90 °F), respectively.
August has almost as much rain as July, Beijing's wettest month, but at 160 mm (6 inches), it is still only a moderate amount. There are occasional thunderstorms, so bring an umbrella.
What to Wear/Bring for a August Beijing Trip
Clothing: Summer clothing, including shorts and dresses, is generally enough even in the evenings. Sunscreen, sun hat and sun glasses are necessary.
Tips for Visiting Beijing in August
August falls in the peak travel season, and tourist attractions are very crowded. Hotels and flights are more expensive than usual. Booking in advance is recommended.
If time permits, start your Beijing tour at the end of the month, when many students are back home or at school and the city is less crowded.
In addition to the main attractions in Beijing, you can take a day trip to the Chengde Summer Palace, a good place for escaping the heat.
- 4-Day Beijing Private Tour
- One Day Beijing Highlights Private Tour
- Half-Day Beijing Walking Tour in a Neighborhood
Our Most Popular Beijing Tours
Have a look at our Beijing Tours for tour inspirations. Or you can contact us for a customized tour.
- Our 4-Day Emperor’s Tour of Beijing takes you to the Forbidden City, the Great Wall, the Temple of Heaven, and the Summer Palace.
- Our 1-Day Beijing Highlights Private Tour, including Tian'anmen Square, the Forbidden City, and the Great Wall, is a great option for tourists who are in the city on business or short layovers.
- See more of our Beijing tours.
Beijing Climate Information by Months
- Beijing Weather in January
- Beijing Weather in February
- Beijing Weather in March
- Beijing Weather in April
- Beijing Weather in May
- Beijing Weather in June
- Beijing Weather in July
- Beijing Weather in August
- Beijing Weather in September
- Beijing Weather in October
- Beijing Weather in November
- Beijing Weather in December